cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint, some information on 4.5?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint, some information on 4.5?

I'm tired of tacking 5 other threads. If you are new to these forums and don't know the long history of this, read these:

(links open in new window)

MMS application for BlackBerry

Update on 4.5 code upgrade

Response from the BlackBerry team regarding availability of 4.5

When will Sprint start seriously supporting the Blackberry users???

Updated info on 4.5 from Blackberry team at Sprint

Also, this thread is locked, but significant:

SPRINT , BLACKBERRY CUSTOMERS NEED YOUR SUPPORT

It's important to note that Sprint gave what they consider an "update" after the deadline had already past, but felt like they deserved some points for trying. A day late and a dollar short as the saying goes...

And what was that update? Check that "Updated info on 4.5" link.Summarized without exageration orspin: We are working out bugs that we can't tell you about because of legal issues. Not everyone would be affected but for the people who would be it will be significant. It will be out for the Pearl and Curve at first, and the 8830 and 8703e later, and will include MMS.

They spread outbarely overtwo lines ofstuff in to a post and called it an update. Only the last 21 words that I wrote were new info, and they even stretched that a bit more, like a student using a big font and double spacing to make his paper the right length.

SoSprint, look at it from our point of view.Lets say you can buy cable service from CableA, CableB CableC. You go with CableC because they are the cheapest. Everyone on all three companies gets the sameMotorola DVR box, but CableC'srelease of it is a firmware levelback soit won't recordand it's menu guide is missing some good features. Now CableC initially denies that lack of recording is that big an issue because you can work around it with a VCR. And then tells you, repeatedly, for months after CableA and CableBboth implement every feature the box is capable of, that they will get you an update, but they don't know when.

When you call, angry that you missed all your shows because you cant record and had to work late, would you consider "We still don't know when, but we are working bugs out of the firmware. It will definately work on your box and include recording capability." to be an update? No. Without telling us why we aren't getting it now even though much smaller companies have been able to implement it, why your programmers seem to be so slow, (or maybe they are great and fast but you have just understaffed that department compared to other companies?) what is wrong and WHEN it will be fixed, it is no update. A hint at a feature (that isn't even fully explained, because we really don't know if you mean MMS or Pic Mail and they are different things!)

So Sprint. Dan? Maybe you think this isn't that big a deal and we are blowing this out of proportion. I don't think so, otherwise you wouldn't have a comercial right now that specifically talks about all the things phones can do. So if you acknowledge that the features we want are important, then it is a big deal to be three months behind Verizon and even they were a bit slow compared to some other carriers.

Could you please tell us what is wrong and when we can expect it to be fixed, and for a few of us who need one or two of these features bad enough to make us jump ship this month while we can use your pricing increase to do it for free, maybe we can beta test it, at our risk,for you. We are obviously capable of providing feedback and bug reports since we post here every day.

And could you lock those other threads to reduce my eye strain and carpal tunnel?

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Journeyman

And, it's released. By users. Before Sprint. How pathetic.

It's not a beta, it's a real Sprint OS, it installs without deleting the vendor.xml file, and has sprint themes.

Anyone who want's it, follow that link up there and the link to the download is on page 18.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm running it.

great build so far... now why cant we just be told something.

Journeyman

Well, at least at this point we have some definitive evidence it is being worked on. I figure now that they have released it out into the wild, as long as nobody starts reporting any major issues, they will release it mainstream fairly quickly. I hope so, I'd like to get my 8130 updated.

Looks like we'll have it just in time for Valentine's Day....lol.

Thanks Sprint!!! Maybe there isn't a conspiracy against Non-Instinct users after all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The leaked os is for 8330.

Great. Us pearl users are still left behind.

This is garbage! I am DEFINITELY looking to switch.

If I were running a competitor network, I would use this forum to put the nail in Sprint's coffin.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm running 4.5.0.119, and it works great.

Message Edited by TheWirelessPlace on 01-13-2009 11:38 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, what an update to check in on today.

Was working on the car most of the day yesterday and not really messing around on the computer then I come on and see someone has leaked Sprint's 4.5

But sadly no information from the BAW team on when this is really gonna hit us officially.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is flat out p***ing me off that we get better, confirmed true information from informants and hackers on other boards than we do from the company we actually pay. People they would call criminals are being more up front with us than Sprint.

Sprint should change their logo to a customer bending over or a big hand holding up a middle finger or something. There should be a law that requires your logo to accurately reflect how your customers are treated.

And instead of "Sprint ahead", it should say "Sprint away!" or "Sprint to another carrier, before you get stuck in a contract with us!". "Sprint out from under our avalanche of BS!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jev gets a kudo from me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gets one from me too.

Notice the deafening silence from Sprint. Again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like I said earlier I was off the computer most of yesterday but best I can tell that over on crackberry they were talking about this 4.5 yesterday early/mid afternoon.

Well over 24 hours and nothing on here from Sprint to tell us it is that close, or that was an old version that got leaked....nothing.

I do expect more from this forum than crackberry, bbforum, or sprintusers since this is actually Sprint's website, we should be getting more information from them when it comes to things like this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been testing the Leaked O/S 4.5.0.119 and honestly I can't find anything wrong with it myself.

I agree Sprint has dropped the ball in providing us with a more concrete update, but now with this leaked O/S at least we know they weren't sitting there twiddling their thumbs pretending to do nothing.

And for those of you threatening to leave Sprint, by all means do it. You can pay your $10-$20 more a month for the exact same service going to another carrier. If MMS is worth that much of an increase in cost for you then do it. You can get out of the ETF by claiming you don't agree with the increased "Administrative Fee" costs.

If you want out, now's your chance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

But You wouldn't be paying $10-$20 more for MMS. You would be paying it also for service that is not rated 3rd worst in the country. Not just among cellular providers, among all companies. The two companies ahead of them are AOL and Comcast. Sprint actually has the very worst Customer Service of any carrier you could go to.

Now, you might be one of those people like my wife, who has had a cell phone with sprint for about 8 years, and has never made any contract changes, never had any desire to upgrade her phone, and never had a problem because she barely uses 300 minutes a month and doesn't use her phone for anything but making and recieving very occasional and short phone calls. Not even a text message.

But I suspect, since you are in the Blackberry forum right now, that you are not a customer like her. You have newer devices, and you use it for much more than just a phone. So there is alot more you expect from your device to begin with, and there are alot more possibilities for something to go wrong. So you probably will have to deal with the crappiest cellular customer service in the country at that point. And then you wish you had paid a little more.

And even if you are like me, where you will investigate and fix 99% of all your problems on your own, without a call to CS, remember that some of that money goes to development of new software for your phone, which has become an obvious problem of Sprint's as well. Even if you have an Instinct, that has all of Sprint's attention, they are still screwing it up left and right. But at least if you have an Instinkt you can see them making an effort.

It's funny that Dan is in the current commercial talking about these devices not just being phones and there being so many other things you can do with them, but the only Sprint customers who are actually happy with Sprint are the people who only use the phones as a phone, and nothing else, ever. And even them, for them to have no complaints, they are probably not even very heavy users of the phone only service, either.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat