Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized software on Sprint BlackBerry devices

Wizard

Unauthorized software on Sprint BlackBerry devices

From the BlackBerry Team:

As BlackBerry users we are all excited about enhancements and fixes that come along with new releases of software, but a word of caution to those loading unauthorized software, not yet approved by Sprint for your Sprint BlackBerry.  Unauthorized software for Sprint BlackBerry devices can pose serious risks to your device, and cause a poor or unexpected user experience.

The recent leak of the BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 software is just the latest example of those risks.  The software leak began to appear on a number of forums recently and many people rushed to get a first glimpse.  As a result, many did not realize the risks, resulting in the loss of contact information on the device.  In an attempt to get it back, calls started being frantically made to Customer Care.  Unfortunately, in many cases, the data was permanently lost, and our Customer Care team was unable to retrieve the information.

As a carrier, Sprint cannot block you from loading software on your BlackBerry device that has not been authorized and released by Sprint.  If you choose to load unauthorized software to your Sprint device, be advised that you do so at your own risk.  This action may void your device’s warranty and/or you may experience a permanent loss of data that our Customer Care team may not be able to assist in restoring your device operational function or information back.  Sprint certifies and supports RIM official launched software for Sprint devices, and will communicate through Software Updates or other upgrade paths.

We thank you for being a Sprint customer.

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Unauthorized software on Sprint BlackBerry devices

How do I get rid of applications I do not want on my 8330?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Options, advance options, applications, select application you want to delete, menu key and then select delete.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for your response.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For Sprint:

Is Blackberry AppWorld considered okay since its an official RIM source?  Because...Blackberry Messenger 5 can be legally downloaded there. As far as that goes, stuff like Facebook and other free apps that are pushed to our phones are available there.

Message was edited by: sneakysnooper

Message was edited by: sneakysnooper

Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe (and Sarah is welcome to correct me on this) that the Blackberry App World would not be considered unauthorized since it is an official release from RIM. However, the meaning behind this is the applications that are hosted from within Blackberry App World. We do offer support as far as having application issues with either BB App World or BBM (and the other hosted application links when service books are pushed to the device). All other issues (including being unable to download from BB App World) would have to be directed to RIM. Even then, since they are only the hosts of the applications and not the developer, they would more than likely advise you to contact the developer of that application by following the support link when you go in to download. At the time this was posted, BBM 5.0 was still "leaked" software. Since then, RIM has made official releases for the devices through the BB App World. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Lefty

Message was edited by: lefty_pacman

Highlighted
Journeyman

sneakysnooper wrote:

For Sprint:

Is Blackberry AppWorld considered okay since its an official RIM source?  Because...Blackberry Messenger 5 can be legally downloaded there. As far as that goes, stuff like Facebook and other free apps that are pushed to our phones are available there.

This thread was posted months before BBM 5 was officially released. Back then, people were installing leaked pre-release betas of BBM5 and OS5 on their devices and then contacting Sprint Customer Service when something went wrong.

I'm on my 5th Tour. Tour #4 actually went back to Sprint running OS5 (defective trackball). The service tech was ecstatic to have a device running OS5 to play around with since he had never seen it before.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm just so sick of manufacturers and carriers not being fair to all customers and not allowing updates for certain devices. If other BB devices have OS 5.0 we should all be able to download it. If there are clitches, make them work. We pay enough for service and we should expect the same service on all devices. That includes the HTC hero too!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you!  But I disagree with what you wrote "This action may void your device’s warranty" I believe is unfair and could bring a lawsuit by someone by not being informed hope you realize that, just to be safe.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seriously. Why doesn't Sprint offer the official 5.0 OS upgrade yet when every other provider does? I'm sick of being the last one able to do an official upgrade.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm still rocking the 8330, but most other carriers have released an official update to a higher OS than 4.5 except Sprint. Even the pre-paid ones. A clue perhaps?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No real "clues", but I can tell you that the only other active 83xx phone in Sprint's lineup (8350i) just got OS 5, four months after a blogger interviewed a Sprint source.  The 8330 shouldn't be that tough to patch given what the 8350 has now, but perhaps Sprint is taking its time testing and debugging.

N. Alden

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat