cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Sprint get a new Blackberry Model?

Journeyman

When will Sprint get a new Blackberry Model?

I've seen on other forums that Sprint may be getting the new "Niagara" later this year. I realize that someone from Sprint probably can't comment, but it has been a while since Sprint has released a new Blackberry. Is there any truth to this rumor? If not the "Niagara", what about the Bold or Storm?

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: When will Sprint get a new Blackberry Model?

I believe that both the Bold and Storm are carrier exclusive, meaning we won't ever see them.

With that being said, the rumor of the Niagara was sometime in Q1 of 09, obviously that isn't going to happen, but on Boy Genius Report they had a posting of some internal documents showing a new Blackberry coming for the Sprint side sometime in Q3 of 09, it is even listed as a Niagara.

Journeyman

The Storm is lifetime exclusive to Verizon, as long as they can keep up the sales figures.

There are reports that Sprint never really sealed the deal on the Niagra, and that Verizon is getting it with limited (3 to 6 months) exclusivity.

The Bold is not exclusive, so Sprint will have the option to get the CDMA version when it is released, and there probably won't be too much competition for it from Verizon since they already have the Storm. So I expect Sprint to get the Bold in the later part of this year and the Niagra (which is really just the bold with extra band capabilities) in Q2 or Q3 of next year when verizon looses exclusivity.

Journeyman

Those of us with the 8830WE would love to see the Niagara over the Bold just for the band capability reasons.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am anxious to see what phone Sprint gets. I would like the Niagara but the Bold would be cool. If Sprint really wants to bring in customers, they need to get a long term exclusive phone. It has to be something other carriers don't have. I had heard a while back about a touchscreen Bold. THAT would ROCK!

Journeyman

Boy Genius got leak of Sprint road map ,As seen in grid it shows to be available late 3rd - beginning 4th Q but I highly doubt it,Sprint track record on releasing device on time is the worst of all carries so I'm thinking between 1st -2nd Q of 2010.

Verizon will have it available in June..yes 2009 so if your a Blackberry user that wants up to date device you might want to think twice before making move to Sprint or resigning contract.

Sprint has outstanding rate plans with customer service getting better everyday yet BB customers are not considered valuable ones.

Sprint Blackberry team lies, were last to get rom updates and new BB devices..Oh how could I forget, no true mms...Heck Jitterbug customers have true mms feature..grrrr

bld

Message Edited by Sling on 04-01-2009 12:37 AM

Journeyman

Look at how much Micro$oft garbage is on that roadmap compared to Blackberry. Blackberry makes up 37% of Sprint's smartphone user base, RIM had 3 of the top 5 handsets sold nationwide by all carriers in February, RIM is the Number 3 smartphone manufacturer by Volume globally (number 1 is Nokia and they are dropping, 2 is Apple, both cater to GSM, RIM's market share is growing) and yet they only have one new Blackberry on the roadmap. Sprint you need to work with RIM to get something from them first, and get an exclusive carry agreement on it. HTC/WinMo is not the answer. Palm PRE is probably not the answer. Go with the market trends. I've seen people on other forums Blackberry forums saying that they are leaving or left Sprint just because of the poor Blackberry selection to go to either AT&T for the Bold or Verizon for the Storm, even though they love Sprint's pricing and/or service. So you are losing existing customers simply due to your lack of commitment toward keeping your Blackberry stable fresh, and the fact you are always the last of the major carriers to get a Blackberry.
Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

Thats my position I love everything about Sprint except the fact I am carrying around the same phone my little sister has on MetroPCS. What I dont understand in Sprints business model is thecurve was a great seller. For months they were unable to keep them in stock whenone could walk in any Sprint store and buy 4 Instincts....why Sprint would not use thistrend and go to RIM and say we need an excusive bb and at least if that was done and not successful get the 9630out sooner than the rumors...

Personally I have said after 9 years ifno blackberry is released at Sprintby September 30, 2009 I am porting my numbers out to ATT and on to my sons employee plans. Of course this not a threat just my game plan.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat