cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blackberry/nextel direct connect?

Highlighted
Journeyman

blackberry/nextel direct connect?

can an body tell me if sprint/nextel is ever going to come out with a new blackberry curve smart phone with a faster web browser, i have the 8350i blackberry smartphone which i love, i even have the otterbox case and its a great protector for my phone, it's virtually indestructable. well like i said , i love the phone except for the slow browser, at home i"m ok because i connect my home wifi for my internet, to my blackberry, the problem is, when i am at work or play just away from the house. the browser is extremely slow, i have had several sprint phones over the years, and the sprint web browser is 10 times faster without a wifi connection, or 3 or 4 G, but because i need nextel direct connect, i have to stay with nextel, yea thers are sprint phones with direct connect, but i have 1 of the only 2 blackberry's with 2 way direct connect. but why cant they build a faster nextel web browser? i have a little under a year before my 2 year upgrade, and would really like to stay with the blackberry type device, but again, 2 way direct connect is a must. what do you people prefer? the blackberrys or the i phone types, like the evo. or are there any suggestions? to my

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: blackberry/nextel direct connect?

Blackberry has a better system for Businesses. I love my Nextel blackberry phone, I love to use office word on the go, I would like the new Nextel Blackberry to have a better bars of service, 4G, Touch Screen, and a mini cell tower for work/home. Once playbook comes out, they will have one in 3G/4G with Sprint, I will buy my wife and I a playbook. I would like blackberry to tell me if they will have Office on the Playbook, so my wife could use it in her classroom.

I know I wrote about a phone and playbook, but I would like both of them when I am working.

Journeyman

Given that Sprint announced today that they'll be sporting a new Kyocera "nintendo DS" wanna-be phone, I seriously doubt Sprint will bother to spend any money on any future iDEN network or phone development.  After all, they really haven't devoted any money to improving the iDEN network (they did shut off WiDEN and still refuse to turn it back on to improve data speeds) since 2004, so why would we expect this company to bother to invest into this side of the company?

As things stand, Sprint could actually gain quite a few customers (I think anyway) if they released a BB iDEN with WiMAX.  That way the data can go through the WiMAX connection (when in an area that has it, that is) while the iDEN network can handle the voice and ptt calls.  Honestly, if Sprint did that, I'd buy that phone...but I know they won't.  After all, this is the same company that introduced us to this Kyocera Echo today...so I won't be holding my breath.

Journeyman

hello dj734********

i read your feed, i really dont understand those iden and wimax terms, i have heard of them, but honestly dont know what they mean. can you please elaborate on what these mean? if im understanding you right, your telling us that sprint/nextel is never going to advance the bb, (i have the curve 8350i), with ppt or direct connect, (i have to have direct connect), the web browser on my bb is ok when im hooked up to my home internet wifi, but otherwise, is very slow, in a day and age of high speed wireless devices, why cant they improve the bb with ppt? (i mean i know there are a lot more bb's out there, but none with direct connect). and overall better connectivity. because like i stated before, i have had 1 sprint phone that was pretty fast years before the 3g and 4g age. i had an a 900 samsung, fast browser. then a motorola i880, NEXTEL flip phone with ppt. well, the texting features and the web browser were a joke on the i880, they were absolutely terrible. the a 900 had a lot better web browser and was extremely fast for its time. but that one did not have the direct connect as it was a sprint phone. so what options do i have as far as keeping ppt, with a newer bb? my wife and i did have 1 pair of sprint phones with direct connect, they were lg's with ppt and sprint phone and web. but we had a lot of problems with the ppt, bad connectivity, dropped calls, etc.

another question is, the bb curve, when i text a reg text message it goes right thru, but put a pic in it and it takes forever to be sent? i hope you can shed some light on these issues i have.

thank you

choppers

Journeyman

Hey there Choppers...

Sure...I know that the following may go "off topic" for others, but since you asked, I'll try to provide you with the most updated, accurate answers I can.

First, let's start with the basics (i.e., the network).  Most of Sprint's phones work on a network technology called CDMA.  It's an acronym, but that isn't important.  What is important is that CDMA type of phones can roam onto other CDMA networks (for example, Verizon or MetroPCS).  As I said, MOST of Sprint's phones work on CDMA, but not all of them.  The true "Nextel" phones all work on a different type of network technology called iDEN.  Now, iDEN phones will NOT work on a CDMA network.  It's like water and oil: try as hard as you like, you'll never be able to mix the two.  Then there is WiMAX.  WiMAX is a technology standard that was designed by Intel...the same company that came up with WiFi.  Most people describe WiMAX as "WiFi on steroids".

Now, there are some hybrid phones that were developed and sold about 2-3 years ago which put together a CDMA voice and data phone with an iDEN PTT antenna.  In theory, it should deliver the best of what Sprint's CDMA network has to offer, while continuing to allow users to use Nextel's PTT.  Sadly, those phones were essentially a failure.

So...why is the BB 8350i (and all other iDEN Nextel) phone(s) so slow when it comes to data?  Well, it's because of that iDEN network that the phone operates on.  In order to deliver that Direct Connect (DC...some call it PTT), the phone essentially has to operate on the iDEN network.  Sure, there are other PTT services out there, but they fail in terms of connectivity speeds, ease of use, etc.  So, this iDEN network that Nextel used is phenominal at allowing nationwide (and international) DC calls; however, it is also (at the same time) extremely lousy at transmitting data with any serious speed (hence why it's stuck at what the industry would refer to as "2G" speed).

So, can iDEN be upgrade to any type of "3G" speed for the data side?  Actually, yes, it can be.  NII Holdings (formerly known as Nextel International Holdings, Inc.) was teaming up with Motorola (the company that actually designed the iDEN network) to create a true 3G solution.  Basically, Motorola and NII Holdings added some network hardware to the antenna towers.  This hardware is very similar to what T-Mobile is using to launch "4G" like speeds.  It's called HSPA+ (again, what the acronym stands for doesn't matter).  It is this same HSPA+ hardware that has allowed NII Holdings to go from offering 2G data speeds in Peru to 4G-like data speeds (I've seen postings claiming that iDEN phones using HSPA+ are downloading data at an average of 3Mb/s...same as most WiMAX devices...like the Evo!).  NII Holdings plans on upgrading their entire iDEN network in Peru, Mexico, Argentina, and Brazil by the end of 2013 to allow all of them to operate with HSPA+ for data.  So, as I said, iDEN data speeds can be DRAMATICALLY improved if Sprint wanted to take the time (and, most importantly, the money) to invest in such upgrades.

However, 3G speed on CDMA is NOT compatible with 3G speed on iDEN (i.e., HSPA+).  So, Sprint won't bother since upgrading iDEN to 3G is NOT compatible with their CDMA 3G anyway.  The only real solution that Sprint COULD do is launch a BB Curve that runs on iDEN for voice and PTT, and data will be transmitted via WiMAX when it's available (otherwise, it will drop to iDEN 2G speeds).  Will Sprint bother to invest to have BB design such a phone?  Honestly, I don't know, but my gut feeling (esp after this overhyped announcement for a Nintendo DS wanna-be Kyocera Echo) says that they won't bother.  And that's sad because I think a BB iDEN/WiMAX phone could easily sell at least 1M to 1.5M users.  I, personally have never used a BB for any extensive length of time, but I would adopt one if it was an iDEN/WiMAX one.

Now, as far as why your BB slows down so much when you try to transmit a pic with your text, I don't know for sure, but I would guess it is because it has to actually upload the picture to the internet and then link it to your text.  I'm guessing that for whatever reason that causes things to bog down big time (but I don't know why it would do so assuming you're only sending a thumbnail pic or something of similar size).

I hope that helps.  If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Journeyman

You could give the Motorola I1 a try its a good device(currently using), it also has Opera Mini Browser when not in a WiFi area that makes downloads of web pages quicker.  I went from a ATT BB Pearl to the I1 and havent missed a beat. Although wish they would improve and as stated in other posts Sprint could improve the Nextel IDen side of the company.  They refuse not to for whatever reason.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat