Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camera light BB Style 9670

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

camera light BB Style 9670

Has anyone experience the flash from the camera illuminating for no reason?  I was awakened the other night by this bright

light and saw it was coming from my phone.  The people at the local Sprint store had no explanation.  It just happened again

to my husband's phone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Wizard

Some of the retail stores are hearing from customers having the same issue.  It's been reported and Sprint and RIM are looking into it.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just had the same thing happen to me this afternoon. I had to pull the battery out to get it t turn off.

Highlighted
Patron

This is a lousy problem - I had it a bunch when I got my phone in November - then a software upgrade came out in mid Dec. that supposedly should have fixed this.  But, it still happens and seems to be starting to happen more and more.  Also, my camera screen sometimes will not go away (until I pull out the battery and start over).  It happens when I try to close the camera.  The screen gets stuck on even when I get to the home screen and so I can't read messages.  The camera evidently hasn't gotten all the glitches ironed out yet. It is a big drag!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I continue to have "freezing" problems with this phone.  I, too, experienced the camera staying on and I had to remove the battery in

order to get the camera out of camera mode.  I have also experienced the camera "freezing" on other apps---like email, and the only way to get it off was to remove the battery.  I did the software upgrade, but it didn't see to help.  Has anyone contacted Blackberry about this?

If so, what was their response?  I am going to contact them and see if I get anywhere.  The customer service people at the Sprint store has no explanation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have also experienced this just recently.  I didn't know there was an update for the phone, so I will try that.  It has only happened a couple of times, once in the middle of a phone call which distracted me and I had to disconnect the call in order to see what was happening. I could not get it to go off so I too had to pull the battery to get it to go off. I had not been taking pictures or using the camera or video camera when this happened, it was like someone had tapped into my phone and turned on the camera??? interesting huh.. I did some checking and there are some SPY applications which can secretely tap into your phones camera and broadcast the images to an ip address, this is very scary stuff, so i checked and sure enough my phone was broadcasting to a ip address.  The problem with the spy cam is it was not suppose to turn on the light, so in a way it is a blessing that the light comes on.

Highlighted
Wizard

Some of the retail stores are hearing from customers having the same issue.  It's been reported and Sprint and RIM are looking into it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Patron

Hope they find a good fix for this quickly!  Thank you for the ray of hope!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been having this problem now for several weeks.  I have searched the BB support forum and there are a number of posts but, so far, no responses from administrators regarding the fix for this issue.  In particular, my flash turns itself on overnight while attached to the BB charger.  It cannot be disabled without removing the battery.  This is really a pain.  I do not even use the camera and have checked the camera settings to see if this can be disabled with no resolution thus far.

Is there a way to have any future responses to this string sent to email so I do not have to re log on to the site to check.

Message was edited by: LPBAIER1

Highlighted
Journeyman

It happened to me twice too. It did not turn off when I powered 9670 off. Had to take the battery out to turn off the light.

I'm waiting for whatever the new BB devices to come out for Sprint so I can get rid of this 9670 because of the keyboard and few other glitches.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just an update.  I spoke with a rep from the Sprint store where I purchased the BBStyle.  She informed me that this was fixed with a firmware update which I walked through with her. Sadly, I hung up before the update was completed.  When the update finished, the message read that my phone was already up to date!  So much for this fix. Here is the process, for what it is worth, below:

Options (wrench)-Device-Software updates

Screen will show checking for updates

My phone now says Current Version is 6.0 bundle 1609

Jan 31

I am happy to report that I have not had another incident of the flash light staying on since this "update" even though the firmware update was not a newer version than that already in the phone?

Feb 8

I apparently spoke too soon.  I have had repeated incidents of the flash light turning itself on overnight, alleviated only by battery disconnection.  I called Spint tech support, nice but they have no idea what is going on and recommended returning the phone or working with BB tech support.  After 15 minutes of phone maze navigation I was able to talk with a tech support person who reports this is not a know incident.  That seems unlikely given the posts on the BB as well as Sprint forums.  At any rate, he suggested that I connect the phone to the BB desktop, back up and then do a manual reinstallation of the operating software.  This would be experimental if the problem continues to occur then the conclusion is the problem is hardware related.  I am beginning to regret upgrading to a new phone!  I have an active case number with BB support and will attempt to get this resolved later today.  I am not overly optimistic at present.

Message was edited by: LPBAIER1

Highlighted
Journeyman

All was fine until this evening when this camera light came on twice this evening. I'm on 6.0 Bundle 1609(v6.0.0.407,platform 4.4.0.314). Both times, I was texting.

If they don't fix it, I'm going to look into other phones such as Evo Shift or Epic.

Message was edited by: BROBERTS1961

Highlighted
Journeyman

How do you check to see if your phone is being broadcast to an ip address? This is indeed scary stuff. I've had my Style for a month now and never had any problems till this morning. I was dead asleep when the light came on and scared the snot out of me. I had to remove the battery in order to shut it off. Some kind of icon appeared up at the top that I didn't recognize.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat