cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can the 8350i be unlocked to use on other networks?

Highlighted
Journeyman

can the 8350i be unlocked to use on other networks?

does anyone know if the nextel blackberry 8350i can be unlocked to use on boost or another network using sim cards? I tried using it on boost but none of the features worked, like sending e-mail, web browsing, texting, and so on. I have heard some people say that these phones can be used on other networks and others say they can't. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Ron

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1

Re: can the 8350i be unlocked to use on other networks?

ron31707 wrote:

does anyone know if the nextel blackberry 8350i can be unlocked to use on boost or another network using sim cards? I tried using it on boost but none of the features worked, like sending e-mail, web browsing, texting, and so on. I have heard some people say that these phones can be used on other networks and others say they can't. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Ron

Um...the short answer is Yes...and no.

Yes, any Nextel iDEN phone will work as a Boost phone, though doing so generally requires that the user obtains (i.e., pays for) a Boost SIM card.  So switching over to Boost isn't that big of a deal.  Actually, I believe in most cases, switching from Nextel to Boost is simply tweaking the system on Sprint's end to use your particular SIM as a Boost instead of the native Nextel.  But I think that going from Boost to Nextel is a bit more complicated and you are better off simply buying a Nextel SIM at that point.

Now, while you COULD unlock the BB 8350i to work on other iDEN networks (e.g., SouthernLINC in the southern US, MIR in Israel), it won't work on a typical GSM network at all.  And when you unlock your phone to work on another network, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything will work flawlessly.  Usually, voice calls and PTT will work without any problems.  However, will email, web browsing, texting, etc?  There is no official way to tell unless someone goes ahead and tries it.

Hope that helps.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat