cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Q10 Upgrade from 9670: Why do Sprint customers have to pay $199.00 and Non-Sprint Customers only pay $99?

Journeyman

BB Q10 Upgrade from 9670: Why do Sprint customers have to pay $199.00 and Non-Sprint Customers only pay $99?

I have been a loyal customer for more than 14 plus years! When I selected UPGRADE to the new phone I have to PAY $199.00!!! Is Sprint going back to their OLD ways by treating new customers better then their loyal ones? In fact we have already passed our 2 year contract so technically we have NO CONTRACT with SPRINT. After waiting so long for the Q10 this is what loyal customers get treated?

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS SO?

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: BB Q10 Upgrade from 9670: Why do Sprint customers have to pay $199.00 and Non-Sprint Customers only pay $99?

I already replied on the other topic you decided you just had to post on... But I'll do it here too. Just like every carrier they want to bring in new customers, they're doing so currently by giving anyone who ports their number in a $100 dollar credit. Anyone that doesn't port a number will pay the same $199 that we do. Just complain on the phone to retentions and see if they'll give you a credit of some sort. Just be glad we get to upgrade every 20 months here instead of 24 like AT&T and VZW. Or have to put up with a ridiculous payment plan like on T-Mo.

Highlighted
Master

Re: BB Q10 Upgrade from 9670: Why do Sprint customers have to pay $199.00 and Non-Sprint Customers only pay $99?

New customers purchasing online at Sprint.com have a $100 port-in credit offer. It is not simply $100 for starting a new line of service, but $100 off for bringing your old number from a competitor. This is to try and entice new customer to come try Sprint from another carrier. This is not new, it has happened numerous times previously, and is always for a limited time. Every carrier does it periodically to try and get more customers from competitors.

There are always gonig to be special offers targetted specifically at trying to get new customers from other carriers. Likewise there are periodic offers for current customers as well, people just don't talk about those because they don't feel like they are being slighted, regardless of whether they are.

Sprint is trying to get more customers and is giving discounts to new users as a way to accomplish that. What else would you suggest Sprint do to try and entice someone who is on the fence about trying Sprint? $100 off a device is a pretty strong motivator.

Journeyman

Actually having a decent network with adequate backhaul across the entire footprint would be a good place to start. Especially before trying to entice more people to come on and overload the network even more...

Journeyman

I have been to two corporate stores in my area and went in to specifically ask questions about the Q10. All that was given to me was blank looks and "why would i want to get that when the iPhone 5 is out.

I would love a q10, maybe a z10 if I decided to switch carriers.

I dont think they are even pushing the phone. and 199 is too high to spend when you have been with a carrier for so long (and I have 4 phones).

Will probably switch carriers. 3g service is painfully slow when lte not available and Im not too impressed with that either. Tired of the excuses from support when i call to ask why.

truly sick of the excuses. I no longer advise Sprint to anyone that asks. Used to, not anymore.

Journeyman

I have been with my carrier for 12 years and i still pay the Price they say on that little piece of paper in store as i know its not 100% up to the carrier to price them, its the pricing they get from the manufacturer's who sell it to the carriers who in turn sell it slightly higher to make sure they can make some kind of a profit. DONT complain about a company trying to make money. 199.99$ is the price for ALL CARRIERS except Tmo who will lease the phone out for alot more after 24months. Stop stating how you deserve this, and you deserve that when all you do is pay for a service. Sprint gives service, they dont make the phones so they have to sell them to make some kind of a profit which usually is not much.

Journeyman

Do you think any company has any loyalty to you? You're just a # to them, no matter who you go to. New customers only get it for $99 if you port in a #, Amazon has it for $150. Call in to retentions/loyalty and complain to them. People have reported getting credits to go towards the cost of the phone. If you do leave, have fun on inadequate and over burdened networks in the future . Cause that's about all you'll find in comparison to the Sprint spectrum holdings, but you'll probably have no idea what I'm talking about anyway. Either stay or leave the choice is up to you. Quit complaining.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I don't like it when any company treats new customers better than loyal customers, either. Many vertical industries are using this model to entice new business; banks, car manufacturers, ISPs, mortgage lenders, credit cards and more. That said, Sprint has heard their customers and responded with the One Up program. If you haven't read up on One Up I recommend you check it out and decide if it makes sense for you.

http://www.sprint.com/oneup

I'd like to personally say THANK YOU for being a loyal customer! We don't take you for granted. It really does mean a lot to we Sprint employees.

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

Dear FantomLightning25, you said, "If you do leave, have fun on inadequate and over burdened networks in the future.", but get this:

"Sprint CEO Dan Hesse said Verizon has 'the best network in the industry and it has paid off enormously.' Sprint hopes to catch up over the next several years by offering the "best network in the world."

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-plans-use-25-ghz-spectrum-catch-verizon-att-lte/2013-08-2...

Journeyman

They do, for baseband voice and low speed data services. They have overall the most extensive network in the industry, mainly because of acquisitions and mergers. High speed data? Not so much. Why don't you look at spectrum holdings that actually allow for high capacity, high speed networks? Because both AT&T and VZW, both giant mashups of RBOC's have low band Cellular 800MHz spectrum and even lower 700MHz for LTE. Spectrum like PCS and 2.5/2.6 are better for high capacity sustainable speeds. VZW has put up a skeleton network of 700MHz upgrades to get the most basic of footprints out for LTE. This becomes very evident when there are already reports of the network becoming over burdened. Now here's my question for you, do you actually understand or have a vague knowledge of the technology and spectrum put into use here? Or are you just going to be posting links from things CEOs have said in articles. As clearly we're talking about different things here. Sprint period the end has the best spectrum portfolio in the industry currently. With the foresight to see how valuable PCS would be they got nationwide spectrum licenses for it, in large amounts. They have 800SMR from Nextel for better building penetration. Then they have the 2.5/2.6 spectrum from ClearWire, for incredibly high speed sustainable coverage. If they get 600MHz in the upcoming auction that's being talked about, things will be even better. Hopefully with the capital that SoftBank can bring to the table they can expand native coverage into areas currently only covered by AT&T and VZW. Hopefully shaking up the Duopoly that's currently going on in the wireless industry. The link you posted has almost 0 relevance to real world experience in terms of what I was talking about, and is contradictory to what real world VZW users are already beginning to experience. Come to the table with more than just 1 article next time. Also, really "get this"? You sound like a corny as seen on TV advert...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat