cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Q10 unlocked?

Journeyman

Blackberry Q10 unlocked?

Hello,

According to some Sprint help pages, the Blackberry Q10 can accept a removable SIM card. According to the specs on Wikipedia, even the Sprint model of the Q10 supports quad-band GSM.

It would be great to travel internationally without carrying 2 phones, but for the SIM slot to work, Sprint would have to unlock the phone. Does Sprint ship the Q10 locked (for GSM use) and will Sprint unlock the phone if I ask?

54 REPLIES 54
Journeyman

Re: Blackberry Q10 unlocked?

Well the SIM slot already works, but being locked it will only work with Sprint International services. I asked the same thing, here's what will need to happen. The device must have been active on the account for 90 days, your account must be in good standing, and you must not have a spending limit on the account. Who you need to contact after those requirements are filled, I'm not exactly sure. However anyone you can reach via *2 should be able to help. I'll be unlocking mine after the 90 days are fulfilled.

Sprint Product Ambassador

The 90 day hold period (for any new device) is a measure taken to reduce account fraud against our customers. We do have many customers, many who are long standing and many-year loyal, who travel internationally within 90 days of upgrades. We will work with customers to best satisfy their needs any and every time. If you've been a loyal customer with a reasonable amount of account history our CS will work with you on getting your device unlocked for travel needs.

Please keep in mind our "official" policy for unlocking the SIM is 90 days post device upgrade, which is designed to protect our customers (first and foremost) and is out of reaction to fraud activity.

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

Account fraud against the customers? Let's be real, you want to make sure that customers are fully locked into contracts before you unlock the phone.

With all do respect, Fantom~, I am being VERY REAL when I say: We do a LOT of things to help protect our customers and their accounts!! Fraud only benefits the criminals, not the customers and not the carrier. Ever. I personally work on fraud investigations and abuse prevention teams.

We give customers plenty of options with regard to contracts and service options including prorated contract ETF (early term fee) options based on tenure, we just launched One Up (best in industry) to help customers stay up with latest tech every year, and more.

If you're having an issue with your device or service, please reach out to our awesome and award winning CARE teams, via social networks (@sprintcares on Twitter or facebook.com/sprint), email care@sprint.com or call *2 via your Sprint mobile device. They'd love to hear from you and help answer any questions.

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I don't have the Q10 yet, was sort of waiting till the Z30 comes out so I could have a choice. But if I'm understanding this, if I travel overseas next year I could just take my own Q10? I just need to get it unlocked and I'm good to go? Will the Z30 be able to do this also or just the Q10? THANKS!!!!!!!

Journeyman

Well, if the Z30 is a world phone (it should be). You'll have two options 1. Don't unlock the phone, and pay Sprint International roaming charges 2. Have Sprint unlock the phone, then pick up a local SIM in that country and put it in your phone. If you're willing to go get a local SIM while over seas it'll save you quite a lot. You'll be assigned a new # with the local SIM, so using something like BBM, or Skype or a similar combo VOiP and messaging service to keep in touch with back home would be the best option, instead of paying for international call and messaging rates.

Ninja, while I don't doubt you do much to help protect people from fraud, I fail to see how unlocking a phone only after 90 days is in anyway protecting anyone but Sprint... An example of how that policy protects the customer would be appreciated.

We don't have any information on whether or not Sprint will get the next BB model device. I've read some things on the internet about a Z30, like you mention. It looks impressive, and I do like BB OS10. But I have no way of knowing if Sprint will get a Z30 or anything similar.

Yes, the Q10 is world roaming capable. So you can take it with you, use Sprint's Int'l roaming or unlock and go with a prepaid SIM from a local carrier. But you still get to have all your contacts on your device, ready at your fingertips.

Journeyman

The Z30 has already gone through the FCC with bands compatible with the Sprint network. If it doesn't get picked up I'll be highly surprised. You've still never answered my question as to how keeping a phone from being unlocked until 90 days after activation helps prevent fraud and protects the customer.

When fraud and criminal activity bilks our company out of million$ EACH MONTH, it ultimately pushes up the cost of operations, which impacts all customers at every level. Having measures like the 90 day unlock policy has cut down on the majority of fraud derived from criminal activity.

One example (of many): Before we implemented the 90 day unlock policy fraudsters could open new accounts online under a fake name/address or a "mule" ID. Once devices were in hand they'd call CS to unlock immediately. Once unlocked they'd ship them overseas and resell them as unlocked GSM devices for profit and never pay their bill.

We wish we had a crystal ball and could tell ahead of time which new customers were honest, hard working, legitimate consumers, and which were criminal fraudsters. We do the best we can to strike a balance between loss prevention measures and customer ease of access and service to keep prices competitive and fair.

The bottom line is this: We know you have a choice of wireless service provider. We never take that for granted. We value all our customers tremendously and we appreciate your business and loyalty. We are working hard at delivering the best products and service we can with the least amount of hassle and at a cost that is very affordable.

Thanks.

Journeyman

I can understand the overall concept of fraud raising costs and appreciate that you answered so promptly. However, that leads back to what I was talking about. That policy is to protect Sprint first and foremost, not the consumer. It only protects customers from price increases, not from direct fraud on their account. I do understand why it's been put in place and I don't discredit Sprint for doing so, but I don't like hearing that it's all for the benefit of the consumer.

Journeyman

I'll be traveling overseas in a couple of days, and thinking of getting the Q10. I have been and am still a Sprint customer for couple of years now. Will Sprint really be able to unlock the phone for me? I'm currently using BB 8330 that uses no sim card.

I currently have 3 lines on my account, by the way.

Thanks.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat