cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint (non)managment of Warranty?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint (non)managment of Warranty?

The T key on the keyboard of my Q10 has become very sensitive.  Just touch it and it activates. For example,when I type "busy," it comes out as "busty."  When I press (not touch) the T key, it thinks it was a long press and I get a capital T as a result.  Quite annoying.  Since my Q10 is only 3 or 4 months old, it's still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, right?  I called Sprint Tech Support and they said since the my local Sprint Store is 38 miles away from me, I would have to call them.  However, geographically it is 38 miles away from me, but to drive there it is over 40 miles (there are no roads that are a straight shot from my residence to the Sprint store).  However since I don't have TEP, the Sprint rep said they would do an Advanced Exchange for $75, but if they found no defects with my old phone then they would change me full retail price (around $500).  Now, I was a bit concerned, because does a sensitive key equal a defect?  I told the rep on the phone that I can imagine a tech looking at the phone, saying "well, the key is sensitive, but it still works, so it's not a defect. Let's charge the guy full price."  The Sprint rep said "yeah, I can see how that might happen" and he told me since it's under warranty, I should call Blackberry since Sprint is only the wireless provider. 

I called Blackberry and they said "no, sir. You need to talk to your service provider, they manage the warranty."  Also, Blackberry said the sensitive key is indeed a defect; it isn't suppose to be that sensitive.

So, I called Sprint again and the rep was astonished that Blackberry said that.  All the rep could do was offer the Advanced Exchange for $75.  I asked what happens if the replacement phone turns out to have a defect, would I need to repeat the process and pay $75.  Their answer was "No, you would receive another Q10.  The phone you get would most likely be refurbished and certified by us for the life of the phone."  Refurbished was defined as a phone that's been looked over by Sprint techs.  They also said I should try the local Sprint store because they could do a direct exchange. 

The Sprint Store told me differently.  No direct exchanges, because they don't stock Blackberry.  No repairs, because they don't have the parts.  Yes, Advanced Exchange for $75, but the replacement phone would have to be picked up at the store; they won't deliver to my residence.  Also, the replacement phone would be a refurbished phone, which they defined as a new phone, for which Sprint bought the serial numbers.  If the replacement turns out to have a manufacturing defect, then I would have to pay $75 to do an Advanced Exchange for a new replacement.  The store also said I should call Blackberry because they should honor the warranty.  I told them what happened when I called Blackberry and Sprint suggested I talk to a Blackberry supervisor.

So back to calling Blackberry, I spoke to the rep who explained how it should work.  I send my phone to Sprint, they send it to Blackberry, Blackberry fixes/exchanges the phone and sends it to Sprint, then Sprint sends it to me.  I said "no, Sprint told me they only provide the wireless service.  They don't handle the warranty."  Then I spoke to the rep's supervisor who told me that Sprint does manage the warranty, since they bought the phone from Blackberry.  I asked the supervisor whether the sensitive key is a defect, and he said "yes, it's not supposed to work like that."

I asked the supervisor for his advice and he suggested "have a conference call with a Sprint rep and a Blackberry rep."

Back to Sprint, but this time the Sprint tech rep called Blackberry, placing me on hold, and then told me "yes, Sprint is supposed to handle the warranty.  I'm going to bump this issue up to the Escalation Group, which is made up of supervisors and you'll get a call within 2 hours."  Okay, I got a call in 2 hours and the resolution was this: Advanced Exchange with the $75 fee waived.  I asked what happens if the replacement turns out to have a defect within a couple of months.  My answer was: you'll have to pay $75 for an Advanced Exchange to get that phone replace.

Goodness gracious people!  What does "warranty" mean?  If I buy an car from the dealership and there's a manufacturing defect, do I have to pay the dealership to get it fixed or do I need to go to the manufacturer directly?  If the dealership replaces the car and the replacement turns out to have a defect, does it mean that the dealership will charge me to fix or replace it? 

I've been with Sprint for I don't know how long because I've been good to them and they've been good to me, but the whole incident of being ping-ponged around really made me consider Verizon and AT&T, since I read in the other forums (yes, I posted on Crackberry for advice), that if the phone is under warranty, they'll do an exchange, and charge you a fee, but once they get the old phone, they'll credit the fee back to your account.  I don't know, I got the suspicion that Sprint was trying to clean out their stock of Q10's instead of honoring the warranty-procedure was told to me by Blackberry.  Now, I understand that the purpose of any business is to make a profit, but what's more profitable to Sprint?  Making a quick one time $75 and discouraging long time loyal customers and causing them to seriously consider Verizon and the other service providers, OR exchanging one Q10 for another and fixing the defective part which retails at $20-$30 and maintain customer loyalty?  

4 REPLIES 4
Master

Re: Sprint (non)managment of Warranty?

boxxer13,

Thanks for sharing the details of your issue.  I understand that this can be a frustrating situation. The $75 fee is for those who do not have insurance. Usually in that case we do send the customer to the manufacturer to alleviate the $75 charge.  I am sorry that you were bounced around like that. I am also glad that a resolution, of sorts, was reached. I would advise adding TEP to your account.

Sean L

Social Care

Journeyman

Sean,

Thank you for the information. So It sounds that Sprint is saying I should get TEP because there is apparently disagreement, confusion or miscommunication between BlackBerry and Sprint as to who should manage the warranty. This is an issue between BlackBerry and Sprint and unfortunately the customer suffers collateral damage.

Master

boxxer13,

Thank you for getting back to us. The reason we are suggesting the insurance is in case you may ever need it again.

Jen R 

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

They bounce you around to scare you into buying the insurance. Sorry but warrant is warranty. You don't have to pay 75 dollars for a warranty that was included with the phone!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat