cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Sprint discontinue carrying Blackberry?

Journeyman

Will Sprint discontinue carrying Blackberry?

Consider the facts...

Blackberry did not renew its licensing agreement with T-Mobile.  Why? "It all started when T-Mobile encouraged Blackberry toting-customers to switch to the iPhone" [inappropriate link removed].

Sprint and T-Mobile to merge.  They said Sprint is buying T-Mobile, but the merged entity will be called T-Mobile.

T-Mobile's CEO John Legere entered into a deal with Apple [inappropriate link removed].  Regarding the deal, Legere said "we went to Apple.  Our partnership with Apple has gotten stronger and stronger."

After the Sprint/T-Mobile merger, Legere will likely be the CEO of the merged entity.  [inappropriate link removed].

Given the trend stated by the above facts, it seems the Sprint will discontinue carrying Blackberry, which would be very easy for Sprint to do since they currently only carry one model.

I hope I made a mistake in my thinking.  I hope Sprint/T-Mobile will carry new Blackberry phones, but it seems that they're really pushing people to buy Apple and one way to do that would be to stop carrying Blackberry.  What do you think? 

Message was edited by: The Moderator - This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines. For your reference, here are the Community Guidelines: http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-admin-blog/blog/2010/01/01/sprintcom-comm...

Thanks for your participation in the forums!

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Will Sprint discontinue carrying Blackberry?

It would be fine for me if Sprint/T Mobile drops Blackberry.  I've had nothing but trouble with my blackberry tourch.  It is my intention to move to iphone pending contract renewal.

When will Sprint merger with T Mobile?

Journeyman

I hope sprint still offers Blackberry and that they get the other models I do not want a iPhone and I have been with sprint for a number of years and need a new phone, I might have to leave sprint.

Master

DHARDI,
There are no plans to discontinue Blackberry products on our end. I know how it is when you like something and have becomeaccustomed to it. I would recommend visiting our news site for the release information, Sprint.com/newsroom, on that page you should find useful information about release of new phone to Sprint. I wouldn't want you to leave either. If there is anyway in which I can help further please let me know.
Rayon
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Why is it that BlackBerry's are nowhere on your site Sprint?

Journeyman

You ain't kidding! Blackberry is offering discounts on their latest OS 10 phones, and we Sprint subscribers are completely locked out.  I have lost my patience with non responsive attitude that Sprint is displaying towards its BB users, who from what I can tell are all longtime Sprint subscribers stuck with old Blackberry phones.  Even T-Mobil has gone back to offering Blackberry phones after their much-public dustup and breakup with Blackberry just a couple of years ago.  What is up with Sprint???????

Journeyman

So long Sprint.  Your refusal to support the Blackberry Classic or even respond to questions or statements in the Blackberry area of the forum is causing a customer of many years to select another carrier. Bye-Bye!

Journeyman

Repeat from an earlier post in a related topic in Sprint Community discussion: A couple of days ago, I got a call from Sprint. I guess they do monitor these posts.  The lady on the other end of the line was very gracious, and explained that the reason for Sprint not carrying the latest BB phones is the falloff of the BB brand in the market place.  Basically, at this time Sprint choses to sell and carry phones which sell well (IOS/Android).  Nevertheless, she assured me that Sprint continues to monitor the devices released by Blackberry and all device manufacturers and if the phone has features and a good potential for success, they will opt to "customize" it and carry it on their network.  She also did some digging and consulting with tech support and although they themselves had not tested the BB Classic, their assessment is that the only currently released CDMA Classic on the market (VZ) should work for standard voice features.  However, some other features (she would not say which) may not work on the Sprint network.  She also did not rule out that Sprint will at some point carry their version of the Blackberry Classic, Leap or any other currently released BB phone.  They are aware of the rumored secure Android phone by BB (see crackberry.com) and are hoping that it has enough of compelling (read "cool for the mass market") features, that they opt to carry it.  from what I am seeing and reading, BB die-hards are to enthusiastic about an Android Blackberry phone and neither am I.  The Sprint rep encouraged me to hold on until the Fall when the new stuff generally comes out and see what Sprint offers. She assured me that Sprint appreciates their long term customers and is listening. My take is (and has always been) that Sprint's current financial condition forces the company to be very judicious in where they invest their money.  They are not going to take on hardware that they don't think they can move.  Notice the lack of Windows phones on Sprint.  Their current focus is on increasing their subscriber base (Cut Your Bill In Half).  I personally believe that until Sprint gets back to growing the business and on better financial footing, some of us BB die-hards may either have to go some where else like you or move to a different platform if we you choose to stay with Sprint.

Journeyman

Tonight, I spoke with Technical support supervisor Nathan, Sprint employee number NCT9870, regarding Sprint's not releasing BBOS 10.3.2.

First, Nathan tried to tell me that Blackberry has not released 10.3.1 nor 10.3.2 to Sprint and that Sprint would have released them within a week, if Black berry had.  I explained that Blackberry has repeatedly told me that Sprint has not approved of nor released either 10.3.1 nor 10.3.2.  Both were released to all users world-wdie by Blackberry, but Sprint, as carrier, is required to approve them & release them to its customers.  This was again affirmed to me, tonight, by @BlackBerryHelp, via Twitter DM.

Then Nathan claimed that Blackberry has gone bankrupt and that they are no longer a reputable company, so I should not believe what Blackberry tells me.  I explained that Blackberry has not gone bankrupt & that they are probably in better financial shape than Sprint, but that neither of those situations makes a difference on whether Sprint should release the OS software upgrades they have been ignoring for months.

Nathan's supervisor, Ann, is to call me, tomorrow.

Message was edited by: JPRoss - Changed "Twitter PM" to "Twitter DM".

Highlighted
Journeyman

Rumor has it that Blackberry is releasing a slider phone (dubbed "Venice" for now) on all four major US carriers this November. Phone will have touch ability as well.  Phone may be released with Android and/or BBOS.  No definites on that one. 

Journeyman

I just recently found out about the Priv and am very excited about it; only to find out there were previous BB/android options..including the Sprint Playbook...what happened to that? I have since missed my Blackberry after trying Iphones and Android phones. Would be nice to have that option around the office instead of old Motorola phones and blackjacks.

*Looks like Canada may get it first SMH

Journeyman

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat