cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Q10

0 Comments

overview-hero_png_original.png

The BlackBerry Q10 is a great phone.  And for me that is what it is.  I used this as a phone not a media device, I found myself getting back to the basics with my phone not using it a ton, not playing games just making calls, checking emails, and sending text.  Some of this is due to the lack of apps in the market.  I like this phone it keeps work and personal stuff in separate spaces so they dont mix.   The battery life was amazing I can go 2 days without charging just due to not using it to listen to music or playing games.  With every phone there are pros and cons the BlackBerry Q10 has some of both, but are they really cons.  we take for granit what cell phones were made for when android hit the market.  This phone is a great work horse but it is lacking in some areas where other manufactures are way ahead of the competition. If your looking for a phone to use for business and not a media device this is the phone for you.

Pros: battery life, work is separate, BlackBerry hub, and a qwerty keyboard

Cons: adjusting to the gestures that are touch, lack of apps.

Thanks for reading have a good day!

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

Blackberry Q10: Look Back

This device has been in my hands for over a month now.  I have been playing with it and posted several blogs.  You can find them Here:

Sprint Product Ambassador: Q10 A Shocking Realization

Sprint Product Ambassador: Q10 Week One Wrap-up

Sprint Product Ambassador: Q10 The Application Guide

and Most Recently

Product Ambassador: BBQ10: Blackberry Story Maker

These blogs are the foundations that I will build this blog off of.  From Day one the device impressed me.  It has done everything I have asked of it short of make my morning coffee, and cook breakfast, though it can order both for me on my way to work, so that I save time in the drive through.  It does what blackberry does best it keeps me connected.  The HUB this was a dream once I got into it.  Everything I want to know, and somethings I did not((You have got to love people's daily drama on Facebook))  in one convenient place.  I can sort it to show only what I want at any given moment or show it all, all of the time.  I thought this would get chaotic, but it did not it kept me informed even when sorted out that there were messages from my other services so I knew to go and check them when I had the chance.  It integrated work and play in a way that had not been done previously.  I can look at work stuff in the work zone, and Personal stuff outside of the work zone.  No cross contamination of information.  It is an unrivaled level of business security in the phone world.  And that is just but one feature of this device.

HUB.png

It is rapidly gaining in the available applications as well.  You can find almost any type of application you need. While there are not as many choices as Android devices, you can request any android application and see if they will port it, also if you are tech savvy many android apps can be side-loaded with full functionality.  Developers have not fully bought in yet, but with the next wave of Blackberry devices on the horizon it is likely that some more will as it is an untapped market place at this time. 

blackberryappworld.jpg

Now to the nuts and bolts, built-in QWERTY keyboard, that is actually fun and natural to use.  You can feel better about typing or responding to longer emails and text messages with out the issues of an on screen keyboard.  An actual issue for me being a man with very large beefy hands.  If you want an example for size comparison I can easily get a quarter lodged in my College Class Ring.  That makes smaller devices and keyboards almost impossible for me.  I found the keyboard on the Q10 to be easy to navigate, and manipulate.  The screen once you understand the gestures, they are fairly natural to your hand movement.  Flip side to side to change icon screens, Flip your finger upwards to minimize.  These all work well for me.

blackberry-10-logo.jpg

My Personal conclusions, as I stated in my very first blog I was shockingly surprised at this device.  It was a happy surprise.  I still love my Porsche, and think it is the greatest thing ever, but I no longer view the Blackberry as a Volvo, it is not a Porsche, but quality engineering, thoughtful packaging, and down right amazing performance have lent me to change my opinion and call it a Audi or Jaguar instead, a luxury automobile that no one should be ashamed to own.

Audi.jpgftype.jpg

Jeremy - The Product Ninja

0 Comments

Apps that came on my Phone

Blackberry Hub  - Here is where all of your standard Messaging will be at.

BBIM  -  A place for private conversations with other blackberry users.  Rumors say might be coming to other platforms soon.

Docs to go -  Ever need to make a last minute edit to a document before sending it via email but it is only on your phone.  Not to fear here is the app you need it can edit MS office documents.

Story Maker -  Ever wanted to take your photos, and videos and turn them into something a little more, well this is where you start - Stay tuned for a full blog on this application and what you can do with it.

Facebook - Social Meeting Giant on your phone, I am not sure you can get a phone that does not have this these days.

Twitter - Send updates on what you are doing every hour of every day.

LinkedIn -  A Social meeting program from a corporate and employment standpoint, this is the other half of your social life.

FourSquare  - Another way to let people know where you are and what you are doing, according to this App I am the Mayor of the FTW North EWTS Section.....Long live Mayor DeSpain...Ooops did not check in this morning lost Mayor

Maps  - Grab an address and plug it in, you can get directions, and navigation and more.

Youtube - The fastest way to end your boredom.  Videos of all types available at the touch of your fingertips

Games -  Different games are available, keeps records and other issues for you.  Also lets you compete against your friends.

Box - 5gbs of storage space, more if you buy more.  That keeps things handy that you do not specifically always need on your phone

Dropbox -  2gbs of Storage for free, otherwise see above.

Compass -  Exactly what it says it is.  It is a compass, and a very detailed on.  Great for emergency situations if you need it

Photo Studio - Connects to Picasa, lets you edit your photos on the fly, I have not played with this much yet.

Flashlight Free -  See in the dark with out just using the screen of the phone.

Apps that I have added to my phone

YAAIC -  Native Blackberry IRC Client - Yes I still use IRC it is a great multiuser chat program that allows people that are old hats to keep talking to each other at times they could not normally.....Nope never use this at work   I have had other programs like this on other devices, this is not a bad basic platform, I think it could be improved and there might be a better client if I was willing to part with some of my hard earned money.

RingtonePlus - If you want something other than stock ringtones this is a good place to start.  I have had a lot of fun with this app.  Decent Search functionality

8Tracks - Radio Rediscovered.  I love my music, and here is an easier way to stream music, not Pandora, but it does log me into Pandora.

Apollo -

Yahoo Messenger -  simple app that connects you to the Yahoo messenger application to keep you in touch on the go with your friends around the world.  It has been replaced a lot by text messages but I have friends in other countries that still use this to communicate me.  Easy to use mobile version of the client. 

Sound Hound -  Ever heard a sound clip and just had to know what that song was?  This is your Application.  I use this often as a DJ as I hear some go by jamming a song, and I do not know what it is.

Recorder X - As a singer/songwriter I actually use many apps like this one, this is the best on that I have found on blackberry that does not cost me some of my hard earned monies.    You can record things like this from your phone

http://soundcloud.com/jeremy-despain/georgia-buble

Skype - Another connection app, this allows me to connect to friends globally, and place calls when attached to Wi-Fi to them.

Jeremy - The Product Ninja

0 Comments

As I stated in an earlier blog, I am shockingly loving this phone.  That was what we call the honeymoon phase of a device. After a week I am transitioning into what we call the newlywed stage.  This is were I start to discover what I do not like about the device.  I am a cynic I expected to see my initial shine to the device disappear like a plate of scratch made cookies, quick fast and in a hurry.  The easiest way to show what happened this last week is to show you two lists, the things I like, and the Things I don't.  I think at the end you will have the same shock that I did after having carried this phone for a week.   Still looking at it from the Volvo Versus Porsche mindset.

The Cameras - Dual Cameras a Must, the software allowing the usage of both cameras for needed functions.  Additional software allows great performance of the cameras.  My Porsche can only do most of this with additional software, and some of it, not at all.

The Battery life - Over 36 hours of personal use battery life for me, my old Porsche was a battery guzzler, it had to be charged everyday sometimes twice.

THE HUB - This is by far my favorite function of this device, seamless integration of all of my messaging in one place can you beat that?  My Porsche had to have multiple apps to be open to get everything.  I can either see it all at once, or switch the view up to only see one account at time.  This was wonderfully built

The Storage Space - 16gbs built-in - Fairly standard, and a Micro SD Card, Not standard anymore......I am a Music junkie and my tastes are so varied that I either have to stream it, or have a lot of space for it, I actually do both most of the time.  Long live Pandora, as well as many other lesser known Music programs

These are just some of the things that I like......Now to other list

Dislikes

The Appstore - The options are just not as good as my old Porsche, I could do almost anything with an app on the old device, now I am limited on what the Devs are willing to take time to make.  That makes the device less interesting at times and less of a time waster.  This is a business device that has a fun side, but a small one.  Where is my SPOTIFY

The Touchscreen  -  Sensitivity is fine, I find it a little small, and the gestures are a little difficult to always get to recognize with my angry green sausages.

The Back Key - Yeah I dislike this, and many of you went “what back key?”.....there in lies my issue

The Home Key - See above....Lol

Blink Blink......yeah that is it, nothing more immediately pops to mind that I do not like about this phone.

All in all this phone as won me over.  As I have discussed with colleagues it is yet to be seen what this will do in the long term for the blackberry Franchise.  But I will leave you with this video to give you my opinion.

Jeremy - Sprint Product Ninja

0 Comments

Blackberry Q10

Let’s start with the Crunchy bits.  It is a New Blackberry device with new Blackberry operating system, BBOS 10.  They added LTE support, upgraded the camera, expanded onboard memory, and upgraded the processor.  Was Blackberry eaves dropping on my rants about the older models?  A little about me, I started my obsession with smart phones with Windows Mobile 5, that was a while back.  I have played around with most of the Smartphones on the block over the years.  My Achilles heel, my pet peeve, my almost hatred was Blackberry.  I always found them clunky, awkward and really did not enjoy the setup of the devices, or the usage of them.  I did give them a long run, I carried an 8830 for almost a year as I was learning, and getting certified on Blackberry Enterprise Solutions.  I still did not like them, and I really understand how they work.  I am of two minds on the devices,  for an email solution in an enterprise environment, there is no more stable, dependable platform, please do not give me one.  Back then it was like the difference between driving a Volvo, and a Porsche for me.  Sure the Volvo was safe secure, got me everywhere I needed to go, but it was no Porsche 911 screaming through the twisting streets of Milan.

Or at Least that is what I thought…….

I got this device and was prepared to dislike, no I was prepared to hate it.  I was prepared to find it just another solid secure Volvo that had to sit in my garage until I could go back to the car I loved.  I do not generally admit this, say this, or consider it a possibility, but I was wrong.

From the outset the Q10 had changed my expectations of a Blackberry device.  I decided to be contrary and do things a customer would do like power the phone before I swapped it.  The device began setting itself up for the swap.  It asked me to connect to Wi-Fi, then asked me if I knew me Sprint.com Login information.  I provided it with this, and suddenly it came back and said.  Device now active.  I was shocked the device had swapped itself onto the line.  I did not have to sit through a call to Employee Care, or login to sprint.com and enter the ESN, the device did this for me.  That got a begrudging smile, I still think the amount of things to do at setup is a bit much, but its survivable.

Then I set about playing with the device logging into accounts, and adding applications.  Wait a minute this was familiar kind of like that Porsche I had to put away.  I started to settle in.  Then the strangest thing happened.  I reached for the phone and started playing around with it.  I discovered the HUB, all my messaging in one place, ability to jump from account to account with ease.  Its like I suddenly added Navigation and a great sound system to the Volvo, then looked around and realized this was no longer a Volvo.  While it is not my Porsche, it is an awesome phone.  One that I am, and I reluctantly say this, I am happy to carry around with me.  I think I have been converted.  This device is everything it was promised to be, and nothing that I expected it to be.

Jeremy

0 Comments

Q10_Back_Details-21.jpg

Having used the BlackBerry Q10 for 5 weeks here are my thoughts on the device and what I liked to use. First off, I am a huge fan of the gestures that BlackBerry 10 uses. Swiping from each side of the device feels very natural and is a pleasure to use. In fact I liked this feature so much, when I would use my other Android devices I would catch myself swiping up and realizing I wasn't on BlackBerry 10. The keyboard is BlackBerry's bread and butter, what their main focus has always been. I found myself typing longer texts and emails because I liked the feel of the tactile keyboard. The device just feels so well built and premium. I would catch myself admiring the visual design of the phone from time to time. Like I mentioned in a few of my posts, I was really looking forward to something different. I have been with Android for 3 years and I wanted to know what another O.S. had to offer. The only two tough things that I had to over come were the screen size and the app selection. You get use to the screen size after a couple of days, but I would have preferred a bigger screen but its not a deal breaker. The screen is AMOLED so the clarity and the colors were fantastic to look at it. Most people know BlackBerry has to catch up in the number of apps compared to Android and iOS, but that's not BlackBerry's fault. The developers have to put in the time to make BlackBerry apps. I found myself using the browser on my Q10 instead of dedicated apps like I'm used too on other devices. I will say the BlackBerry browsers performance is by far the best of any mobile browser. It has Adobe flash player built in and it is really a great browser to use. It doesn't have all the features as Chrome does from Android but BlackBerry's browser blows away any other in comparison to speed.

- First Image via n4bb.com

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

It has been 3 years since I owned a blackberry, though it took me about 3 days for me to get used the environment. One of the features that I liked on my old BB was the ability to control music without having to tap the back and forward buttons. Thanks to How to enable music shortcuts on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone | CrackBerry.com .

From your home screen swipe down on the top bezel to view the system menu, then tap settings.

IMG_00000023.png

Select the Main Volume section.

IMG_00000024.png

Under the Volume Keys section tap to turn on music shortcuts.

IMG_00000025.png

Once you have completed these steps you will be able to control your music playback by just holding down the volume up, or volume down keys.

Now I can listen to my go to CD when I am at work, and you know its Miley Cyrus... (Not)!

Thanks

Stanny George

Sprint IP Services

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

Blackberry Story Maker

This is a fairly fun little built in app for having fun with your photos and videos on the Blackberry 10 operating system.  It is designed to take your photos or videos and turn them into something more that you can share on different social media, or just send to a friend.  As I told someone late last week when I was playing with it, it is something like having Power Point on your phone.  It is also fairly easy to use, and intuitive.  It comes with built-in music to choose from or you can add your own.  I can show you really quickly with the steps that it guides you through how to use this application for something fun.

Step One - Find or take your pictures with your Blackberry Q10 device.

Step Two  - Open Story Maker

Step Three – Select Create New Story

Step Four – Select your desired pictures of Video, For Mine I selected three pictures

Step Five – Hit Next

Step Six – Select your Music

Step Seven – Hit Next

Step Eight – Tweak your Video – Change color settings, duplicate photos, and view it until it is just right

Step Nine – Hit Done

Step Ten – Enjoy your Video on your device or share it with others.

It really is just that simple to build and enjoy stories on your Blackberry device.

The Product Ninja

0 Comments

The Blackberry allows you create your own language.

Below are the steps.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

Now you have the power to use your own version of shorthand.

Thanks

Stanny George

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

With the new BlackBerry 10 you have access to Blackberry Protect.  This is a feature if turned on can help you with multiple problems you may run into when your phone is lost or stolen.  By simply accessing the protect.blackberry.com website you can do the following:

LocateBB.PNG

You can locate your phone effectively and quick.  This found my phone within a minute and when zoomed in it's almost on the mark to the pin.

Sound+BB.PNG

This is used mainly if your phone is lost in your home.  For instance if your phone is on vibrate and you try to call it you probably won't hear it.  But, when you click play sound on the protect it lets out a siren that is almost deafening at it's peak.

Message+BB.PNG

This is a great option if you phone was lost.  I tried this and placed the simple message " I lost my phone please call ***-***-**** to return thank you".  Now granted you have to have the right person find it.  But the message also locks your phone from being accessed.

LockBB.PNG

Another option besides placing your message is to just lock the device.  I would think this would be used in worst case scenarios where you have sensitive material on it.

Wipe.PNG

Then the final blow to where you have lost your phone with no hopes of getting it back.

I hope this shows you the many options to securing your Q10 and how secure it is.

0 Comments

gopego-bb10-timeshift-big.jpg

I don't take pictures often but when I do my wife has her eyes closed or my son looks away at the perfect time, So have this feature is great i can take a bad shot and make it Perfect. I'm sure everyone can benefit from this feature, instead of retaking it 50 times just adjust the 1 shot.

"Pinpoint and adjust elements of your picture to get the photo you want. Time Shift mode captures milliseconds before and after your photo – so you can scroll back on the dial to open one friend’s eyes and then forward to catch your other friend smiling, before combining it all to create the perfect picture."

Here's a video Demo on how to use it from blackberry! Below is a quick video on the feature.

Source

BlackBerry

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

On Top of having BBM you can now share your screen!  This is really cool for all reasons, share a funny video, a funny pic or have someone help you with a issue your having with the phone, and the best part is now BBM is available for iPhone and Android (read this blog for more info)

Switch your BBM™ chat to a BBM™ Video1 conversation and see the smiles of those that matter to you most.

Use the new Screen Share feature to show photos, your browser, or review a business document together. You can even share the view from your camera.

and another great feature of BBMconnected apps, you can chat with BBM friends within your apps and select BBM contacts right from the app to invite them to join in on the fun or download it.

Facebook®, Twitter®, BlackBerry® Travel™ app and BlackBerry® World™ are BBM connected apps. So you can share your Facebook status update, Tweet, travel itinerary or apps directly to contacts through BBM, without ever leaving the BBM connected apps.

Here is a how to video on the BBM

Below is video about the BBM screen share

Source

BlackBerry

0 Comments

One of the Cool Features of this BlackBerry Q10, Is BlackBerry Balance It breaks up your work and life into 2 areas so you can keep your info seperate.

BlackBerry® Balance™ technology keeps your information secure by creating two profiles, one for work and another for personal use.

Each profile can have its own data, apps and network permissions. You can access your work email, documents and company intranet from your work profile, then switch to personal use, secure in the knowledge that all of your sensitive data is protected. Source

Here is a video showing this feature Video Link

0 Comments

blackberry-q10-ofic.jpg

The Q10 is the first BlackBerry I have had the pleasure of using.  I take a little bit to get used to how it works coming from using only android or old windows phones.  So there is a little learning curve, the main thing I missing is the Back and Home Button,  there are touch buttons for back when in certain apps and other than that you have to use the swipe feature to go back to the home screen with a swipe from the bottom of the screen up towards the top to go back to the main screen.

So Far my favorite feature is the Hub its a feature you can access from any screen just swipe from the left to the right on the screen and you get all your notifications in one spot.

bb-hub-01.jpg.original.jpg

Stay in touch with a single swipe

Stay close to what's important to you without stopping what you’re doing. Simply peek into the BlackBerry® Hub from any app with just a swipe and flow effortlessly in and out of your messages and conversations.

Chose to reply or let the screen snap back if your messages can wait. Tweets and mentions, wall posts, friend requests and more are all integrated and organized. You can even respond to your work and personal email, or post to LinkedIn, Twitter, Foursquare, BBM™ and Facebook – all without leaving the BlackBerry Hub.

Source