cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A $400 iPhone?!?!? Tell Me I'm Dreaming!

Community Manager

Apple_new-iphone-se-white_04152020.jpgWhat's up Community!!  Welp, I finally did it.  I wrote an Apple blog.  So, to your haters that troll my DMs on Twitter...HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW!!  Admittedly, I'm a Google fanboy, I own that. Despite popular belief, I do not hate Apple.  I would be the first to admit they make some damn sexy devices and smooth looking UIs, but enough about me, let's get to the issue at hand.  Coming off the heels of releasing a new iPad last month, the boys and gals of Cupertino dropped a new iPhone.  Usually, to me, that's not a big deal.  What got my attention was the price point.  A brand new iPhone for $399!  Never in my lifetime would I have thought I would write such words.  I mean, if you told me I would be writing about a $3999 iPhone, it would have not provided any shock value.  I would reply, "Eh, I can see that."  To say a brand new iPhone spec'd out for $399...Well done Apple.

I'm not going to be all verbose and braggadocious, dare I say Trumpian, using to best words and adjectives like an Apple press release. I will let them do that:

Cupertino, California — Apple today announced the second-generation iPhone SE, a powerful new iPhone featuring a 4.7-inch Retina HD display, paired with Touch ID for industry-leading security. iPhone SE comes in a compact design, reinvented from the inside out, and is the most affordable iPhone. The new iPhone SE is powered by the Apple-designed A13 Bionic, the fastest chip in a smartphone, to handle the most demanding tasks. iPhone SE also features the best single-camera system ever in an iPhone, which unlocks the benefits of computational photography including Portrait mode, and is designed to withstand the elements with dust and water resistance.

Whew!  Look at all those adjectives and adverbs!  So, allow me to break it down for you:

• Second-generation iPhone SE
  • 4.7-inch Retina HD display
  • Touch ID
  • The most affordable iPhone
  • A13 Bionic chip
  • Single-camera system

Apple_new-iphone-se-black-white-product-red-colors_04152020.jpg

Specs aside, the most important feature we all want to know is what color does it come in. The iPhone SE will be available in black, white and (PRODUCT)RED.  The front of the device is all black glass, while the body is composed of aerospace-grade aluminum.  The back has a rear glass finish with the trademark centered Apple logo.  I asked what type of glass is used (e.g. Gorilla Glass) and was told: "[T]he most durable glass".  I'm not sure what that means, but OK.  The device is water and dust resistant with an IP67 rating for water resistance up to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

Apple_new-iphone-se-app-store-screen_04152020.jpg

Depending on who you are, the screen is small or just right.  I would side with the former, but Apple's market research says the latter.  As mentioned, the screen is 4.7 Retina HD display with True Tone.  True Tone adjusts the white balance to match the ambient light for a more natural, paper-like viewing experience.  Retina HD Display supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 playback.  

Apple brought back an oldie, but goodie..the familiar Home button.  Which also brings back Touch ID!  For those that have been rocking the iPhone X and above, the most common complaint was the lack of the home button.  It's been updated a bit with sapphire crystal to be durable and to protect the sensor, and a steel ring to detect a user's fingerprint for Touch ID.

Nowadays, phones have multi-camera, a multi-lens, folding lens to take great pictures.  The iPhone SE only has a single 12-megapixel f/1.8 aperture Wide camera system. Without all the cameras and lens, the heavy lifting is done by the image signal processor and Neural Engine of the A13 Bionic chip.  Introduced during the iPhone 11 line, the A13 Bionic is one of the fastest chips in a smart device.  Given its speed, it's perfect for photography, gaming, and augmented reality experiences. With a single camera coupled with the A13, computational photography is a reality on the iPhone SE.  Items such as Portrait mode, all six Portrait Lighting effects, and Depth Control are processed with ease.  Now I was unable to test the camera, but I was given shots from Apple taken with the iPhone SE:

Apple_new-iphone-se-camera-photos-2_04152020.jpg  Apple_new-iphone-se-camera-photos-4_04152020.jpg

Apple_new-iphone-se-camera-photos-1_04152020.jpg  Apple_new-iphone-se-camera-photos-3_04152020.jpg

Videos are even more immersive with stereo audio recording and cinematic video stabilization on the front and rear cameras.  The rear camera supports high-quality video capture at 4k up to 60fps, and extended dynamic range comes to iPhone SE for more highlight details up to 30fps.  You can also take advantage of QuickTake video on the front and rear cameras, allowing video recording without switching out of Photo mode.

Overall, it's a great device.  If you were to ask me to compare it to another iPhone spec-wise, I would say the iPhone 8 at a deep discount.  Just my personal commentary, but well done to Apple.  Don't get me wrong, I do realize the sacrilege of selling a new phone during a period where money and jobs are uncertain, but applaud Apple for not being tone-deaf and offering a $1500 phone. A robust spec phone with a throwback to the original with an attractive price point is a nice move.  Hopefully, this will reset the market in phone prices because we all can agree, it is way too high.

iPhone SE will be available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB models in black, white and (PRODUCT)RED starting at $399.  Customers can also lease from Sprint.  Leasing options will be released tomorrow, April 17th.  Also tomorrow, iPhone SE is available for pre-order on sprint.com, telesales, and the My Sprint app beginning 7 AM CST and will be available on Friday, April 24th.