cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countdown to the Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+

Community Manager

What's up Community!  It's countdown time!  For those living under a rock, the brand new Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ launches this Friday! If you have forgotten or don't know anything about the S9, you can read my all about it in my blog.

We are going to countdown to Launch Date!  Please be sure to visit every day to learn about the new and exciting features Samsung's latest offering!!

Monday:  Immersive Entertainment

+

Tuesday:  Super Slow-Mo

Welcome back Community!  In my anxiousness to get out yesterday's material, I forgot to thank our friends at Samsung in providing the content.  I will say, Samsung usually come through when we have requests, however they still not have not fulfilled my request to sent me some Samsung IconX 2 earbuds.  I guess my 1's will do.  Anyhoo!  On to Super Slow-Mo!!  THANKS SAMSUNG!!

Wednesday:  AR Emojis

Welcome back Community!  Big shout out to Derek from Samsung who dropped off the S9 at the site yesterday.  I spent the majority of my day using/learning/playing with the S9 and got to paid to do it!  I will say despite the S8 having the exact same battery size of the S9+, there was a stark difference in performance.  The S9+ lasted a lot longer than it's predecessor. I stressed test the heck out of it: YouTube, ESPN, Twitter, Hulu, Netflix, Tidal, Kodi, etc.  Could be the Samsung optimizations or the fact the S9 launches with Oreo which has its own optimizations.  That's not why we are here!  Today is about AR Emojis in Part 3 of our countdown to S9 launch.  Enjoy!

Thursday:  Reintroduction

What's up Community!  Today is the eve of the S9 launch unless you were one of those preorder folks.  Today's video is a sum up of features we already discussed.  Honestly, it's one of the 30 second ads you will see on TV.  ENJOY!

Friday:  IT'S LAUNCH DAY!

What's up Community!!  First and foremost thank you all for participating in the countdown.  I hope it was informative because I strongly believe in "Each one...Teach one".  If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to comment below or PM me.  I answer all.  Thank you again!

28 Comments
Community Manager

@fireguy_6364 let all your Samsung friends know about our countdown!

Wizard

Oh we see it. But not a ton of us can partake because of the early launch and the "12 payments" restriction on the "Galaxy Forever" program. So my countdown is ~ 2 months, as is most everyone else's. 🙂 

Community Manager

I see what you are saying @mmark271_ .  Let me see if I can if you can "buy up" sort of speak.  I'll verify.

GrandMaster

the only Sammy fan friends i have are in here or will hang on to their current device until they either break it or...well break it lol.

Community Manager

@mmark271_ I swore I wrote this already, but if you did not get the first response, here it goes.  I spoke to corporate and they told me you can visit a retail store and pay the 2 payments in advance to become eligible.

Community Manager

@fireguy_6364 copy that.  Looks like I have to send my goons out to break some phones!  I kid, I kid.

Wizard

Meh, considering I've got 2 devices, I don't want to drop another $160 for 2 months advance. Would be nice for Sprint to waive this for those Forever customers. 

GrandMaster

my brother is prone enough to handle that one on his own lol

wouldnt be the first phone to slip off his dash and right out the window as he's making a turn lol.

Community Manager

Ha!  My wife put a top secret phone I had for work in the washer.  That was a fun conversation at work.

GrandMaster

hahaha

Community Manager

I seriously love my S8 and yet..... (tiny voice) I kinda really want one!!

Community Manager

I really am a Sammy girl!  I just got the Note 8...but can I really wait? 

GrandMaster

some day i might venture back into the Sammy world and try one out again..... *looks off into the distance*......some day

Journeyman

Weird one here,  got my UPS tracking for the phone and can confirm its in the store (I walked in) and I was to told yes the phone is there and no I can't give it to you because we have to wait until Friday.  What is this about? Version, t-mobile, and AT&T are all allowing customers to get their device before Friday if they pre-ordered.  Kinda lost on this one

Community Manager

@BareDiver Our retail stores were instructed last night to release the preorders to customers prior to Friday.  Call them back today and if you have problems, shoot me a PM.

Journeyman

Edit from above, Looks like @Em_Will_I_Am was right! new phone in hand, Thanks for the help!!

Community Manager

Glad to hear it @BareDiver!  Enjoy and let us know your initial thoughts.

Wizard
Community Manager

I've seen this, but have not had one customer call in about it to date. It looks strange to me because usually our devices already have the SIM installed into the device.  At minimum, it's fake. At maximum, mix up at the supply chain. I'm siding with the latter. Regardless, myself and corporate have been monitoring since we were made aware this morning.

Community Manager

Update: 

A handful of customers who pre-ordered the Special Edition unlocked Galaxy S9/S9+ (SMG960U1 and SMG965U1) handsets were shipped Verizon UICC/SIM cards in error. 

There is no impact to the Sprint SKU'd models (SMG960U or SMG965U).

This was a packaging error which has already been resolved by Samsung.  The impacted users are going to be sent the correct UICC/SIM card via overnight shipping, expected to arrive by 3/16/18.

Customers with questions about the shipment of the new UICC/SIM should contact Samsung directly by calling 855-726-8721 or emailing https://www.samsung.com/us/support/customer-services/

Journeyman

I got my S9+ on the 14th and I am disappointed in it, or at least Sprints version of the phone.  I spent hours looking for the smart call feature that my S7 from Sprint had just to learn that the feature was nerfed from the phone.  I have spoke with an owner of an unlocked S9+ on Sprint and they have the feature.  I can only assume that the reason Sprint nerfed it was to promote their caller ID app instead.

Lesson learned, I will buying unlocked phones from hear on out.  I will NEVER pay for a feature that is free on the phone.

So if anyone here  has yet to buy, look into an unlocked version instead.

Community Manager

It was my understanding it is available on the unlocked version, but not on any US carrier.  I've reached out to my Samsung contact to confirm.

Journeyman

Thank you, That is what A Samsung agent told me via a chat session, but in XDA Developers forum a user in my thread posts that he has the option to turn it on and off in the call settings.  his phone is an unlocked S9 and his carrier is Sprint.

Journeyman

This was their post about it:

"I have an unlocked S9 on sprint and it seems to work for me. I haven't had a Galaxy since the S3 so i had no idea what it was but when i got a call from Samsung CS earlier today it showed their name with the "Smart" next to it."

Community Manager

I remember that popping up in my Samsung training, but that was weeks ago.  Memorizing all the specs may have pushed that out.  I'll let you know what Samsung says.  My contact is currently traveling, but he always get back.