cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Apple, We Have a Problem.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Try A Google Phone. It'll Be Fun They Said

I can’t believe the device I’m unboxing isn’t the latest Apple product. Picking up the Google sticker that falls out of the box, I don’t know what I’m in for. I’ve owned almost every iPhone that has come out, getting the first ever iPhone my junior year of college. My computer has the Apple logo; same with the watch strapped on my wrist. 

If It Doesn't Spark Joy, Let It Go

I have to say though, the iPhone X didn’t bring me the joy I usually feel. I didn’t notice a big leap from the 7 to this model. My 7 was used and abused, dented and cracked when I finally relinquished it. Opening my X, I was prepared to be wowed by something other than the price tag. But it’s been 7 months and that wow factor never hit. The camera is what kills it for me. It’s blurry; photos show up dark and pixelated if I even pretend to zoom in. I try to take a lot of action shots of my majestic chihuahua and this camera is not doing him justice. It’s gotten to the point where I rarely use my phone unless I’m texting someone. Nacho iPhone.jpgBlurry iPhone photo but still cute

Cut to three days ago: the unboxing. My new Pixel 3XL in hand, color me skeptical. I couldn’t tell you the last time  I held a non-Apple phone since I had the iconic silver Razr phone (RIP). The Pixel feels super sleek though. It takes me a minute to figure out where the power button is and don’t even get me started on the back fingerprint unlock. My thumb desperately wants to be involved and I find myself throughout the evening failing to unlock this phone. I’ll get over it. I’ve actually missed the thumbprint scanner more than I knew.  Taking it home and connecting to my wifi, this phone is way faster than my iPhone. Side by side load times prove the Google operating system champion time and time again. 

Photo Shoot Time:

Now, it’s glamour shot time. I turn on portrait mode, get my model in position and snap away. Nacho Google.jpgNew phone, take my pic.

Whoa...I’m in love. This camera is where it’s at. The colors pop, the subject is crisp and we’ve got professional grade pics. Nacho approved his best angle and it’s a lightning fast upload to Insta we go (#nofilter). 

The True Test: Will It Travel?

I’m not quite ready to break all of my loyalty ties to Apple yet but I’m teetering on the edge. To prove that this phone has value outside of snapping my pup, I have designs of taking this phone and my X on a trip to Leadville, Colorado in a few weeks. Look at some of the things we're going to check out: Leadville Adventure. I want a real time comparison of which phone performs better navigating, tracking my hikes and rating the best beers in the mountains. What other apps should I check out on this trip?

Looking for a more technical review of Google phone from an iPhone user? Check this out.

About the Author
  • In addition to being a Sprint Employee and Product Ambassador, GeekGeoff is an unabashed Star Wars fan, Tech Junkie and Father to a precocious 9 year old. When he’s not writing blogs, he can be found playing video games, searching for the best donut shop or debating which Doctor is the best (for the record, it’s number 10).
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes