cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8: Rumor vs Reality

Sprint Product Ambassador

The Samsung Galaxy S8 launches this week and in anticipation of this big event, we thought we would take some time to look back at some of the rumors and see what we got right and what we didn’t.

Samsung Galaxy S8-S8plus_silver_MFBV.jpg

If you haven’t already, check out our first rumor blog, Samsung (S8?) What We Know So Far.

Name

No surprise here: everyone was spot on with Samsung keeping the “Galaxy S” naming convention. Many outlets also accurately reported that the phone would come in two sizes with the larger being given the “Plus” moniker. Samsung has been pretty firm that the “Plus” is not a replacement for the Note series. 

Hardware

We’ve learned that the S8 and S8+ will both have the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 64-bit octa-core processor (2.35GHz Quad + 1.9GHz Quad). On the graphics side, it will come packed with an Adreno 540. If you were a little disappointed in some other manufacturers using an older processor, it’s probably nice to see Samsung going all-out with the latest chipset.

Camera

Rumors were that the Galaxy S8 would boast a 12 MP Dual Pixel rear camera and an 8 MP front facing camera. These rumors proved to be true but in addition, we now know that the camera will come with several features including Wide selfie, Optical Image Stabilization, 8X Digital Zoom, and the ability to take still pictures simultaneously as you are recording video. Speaking of video, the Galaxy S8 will have 4K video recording at 30fps, and will support slow motion video for 720p at 240 fps, Continuous Autofocus while recording as well as Face Detection while recording video.

Screen/Design

GalaxyS8.pngIn what seems to be an industry-leading theme this year, the rumors about a bezel-less screen in two different sizes were accurate. Samsung is calling their bezel-less screen the Infinity Display and both models will have Quad HD+ Super AMOLED with the Galaxy S8 being a 5.8" screen and the 8+ 6.2” screen. And while some may decry Samsung’s decision to remove the physical home button in favor of capacitive on screen buttons, I am not one of them. I personally like the trade off in favor of a larger 18.5:9 screen ratio. 

Battery/Memory

The Galaxy S8 will have a 3000mAh battery while the 8+ will have a 3500mAh battery. As with other Samsung devices, the Galaxy S8 will come with fast charging capability. As for memory, the phones will both have 4GB of RAM and 64GB of onboard storage. As our needs with storage increase, it’s nice to see Samsung pick up on this and make 64GB standard. If 64GB isn’t enough, you can also add a microSD card to expand up to 256GB. I’m a little disappointed by the amount of the expandable storage. With other phones featuring 2TB,I’m a little puzzled why Samsung chose to go with 256GB.

Features

As with most flagship devices, the Galaxy S8 will ship with Android 7.0 Nougat straight out of the box. The phone will also have Samsung’s new digital assistant Bixby but according to Android Authority, only some features will be available at launch with the rest coming later. Those worried that Samsung might follow the trend and forgo the headphone jack can rest easy. Samsung announced during their Unboxing event that the phone will retain the 3.55 mm headphone jack. On top of that, Samsung is including a pair of Wired AKG earphones with each phone when it launches. Some other things we have learned is that it will be IP68 water and dust resistant which is a step up from the IP67 rating of the Galaxy S5, will feature an always on display, have facial recognition to go along with the fingerprint scanner being moved to the back of the phone and is making the jump to using a USB Type-C charging port.

All in all, the Galaxy S8/S8+ is going to be packed with some great new features and is shaping up to be one of 2017’s marquee devices.   

Don’t forget: Sprint’s Galaxy Forever lease program is back for the S8 and S8+, read up on the details here.  

Want to check out other purchase options? Head over to Sprint’s Shop section here to get started.

Have an opinion about how this device will stack up against others released this year? Tell me about it in the comments.

3 Comments
Journeyman

What does Sprint and Samsung intend to do with those of us who were forced to downdrade to the Galaxy S7 edge from the Note 7 fiasco?  If we move to the 8, will there be an early termination fee for us loyal customers?

Sprint Product Ambassador

@stanelaine6504 I completely under your frustrations caused by the issues with the Galaxy Note 7. When you exchanged your Galaxy Note 7 for the Galaxy S7 Edge, was it done under a 2 year contract, a lease or an installment billing agreement? The reason I ask, is that depending on the exchanged purchase option, it could impact whether you'll be able to upgrade early or potentially have an early termination fee.

Also, while Samsung hasn't officially announced the Galaxy Note 8, there are rumors that Samsung will indeed launch the Note 8 later this year, so if you prefer that line of devices over the Galaxy S series, you may also want to wait and see what Samsungs has planned.

GeekGeoff

GrandMaster
are they texts or just popping up in your notifications bar? they dont just up and send out texts on a whim for a device you might or might not actually want without the end user usually opting into something like that for notifications on something specific. could it possibly be notifications from your sprint zone app (now called My Sprint)? if its coming from there go into the app and shut down notifications.
About the Author
  • In addition to being a Sprint Employee and Product Ambassador, GeekGeoff is an unabashed Star Wars fan, Tech Junkie and Father to a precocious 9 year old. When he’s not writing blogs, he can be found playing video games, searching for the best donut shop or debating which Doctor is the best (for the record, it’s number 10).
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes