cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make calls and use data at the same time with Sprint's Calling PLUS!

Community Manager

Sprint_Logo_Community.jpg***Update 9/24/18: Heads up Sprint Calling Plus users. Very important announcement.  

Regarding Calling PLUS Service Decommission

*** Update 9/24/18: In preparation for the launch of VoLTE (already being tested in some markets, expected to launch fully in 2019), Voice Call Continuity may not work on some devices.  This means that some Apple devices and some later model Samsung Galaxy devices will not be able to use Data and Voice at the same time except where WiFi is available or where VoLTE may be in the testing stages.  ***

Sprint is excited to announce a new solution which allows customers to use voice and data simultaneously while on the Sprint LTE network or WiFi.  Calling PLUS has just been enabled on many Sprint devices.

What you need to know:

Calling PLUS combines two features: one old and one brand new!

• WiFi calling - our VoIP calling feature that lets you make and receive calls over WiFi
  • Voice and text on the Sprint LTE network, allowing simultaneous voice and data

Calling PLUS is delivered to your device by software update.  Once your device has received the software, set up is easy!

1. On the phone, select Settings > Calling PLUS.
  2. Slide Calling PLUS to On.
  3. Customer can view Tutorial pages to learn more information about the service.
  4. View pre-populated address
    • If the Country field says Non-USA, Select the Country and choose USA.
    • Enter a USA address manually.
    • If address is not shown or is incorrect, enter the address manually.
    • Address must be within the USA.
  5. Select Save.
    • Your phone will validate the address required for E911 service and completes the enablement of Calling PLUS.
  6. Select Calling PLUS options to enable each feature:
    • Wi-Fi Calling is On by default.
    • LTE Calling is optional but recommended to allow both Simultaneous Voice and Data and call handoffs between Wi-Fi Calling and LTE Calling.
    • Call handoffs will go from Wi-Fi to LTE even if the LTE Calling switch is Off.  LTE Calls require the Wi-Fi Calling switch to be turned On for a handoff to Wi-Fi.

That's it!  Your phone is now enabled for Calling PLUS.  You can call anyone using Calling PLUS, the person or party that you're calling does not need to have Calling PLUS in order for it to work.

Keep in mind: 

• Calling PLUS is included free of charge with your Sprint plan, though data usage does count toward any metered data allotment.
  • Calling PLUS is a only available to select devices at this time and only in areas with LTE service.  We will add more device models over time.
  • Calling PLUS is not a VoLTE solution and call quality can vary based on location and network conditions.
  • Calling PLUS is only supported on the Sprint LTE network and will not work over roaming partner networks. 
  • Calls initiated while on LTE will not hand off to CDMA towers.  When leaving an LTE area, such a call may drop.

Starting with iOS 11, iPhone 6 and newer devices are now enabled with Voice Call Continuity (VCC).  VCC allows a call initiated on WiFi to hand off to LTE and back to WiFi, while also permitting the user to access some data functionality.  With VCC, a call will never start on LTE so data will be unavailable when a call starts in an LTE area. 

**Please Note: VCC has been disabled in preparation for the launch of VoLTE**

These devices have VCC already enabled:

• iPhone 6 devices and newer on IOS 11 (with the exception of the iPhone XS and XS Max)
  • LG X Charge
  • LG V20
  • LG V30+
  • Essential
  • Samsung J3 Emerge

**VCC is a separate function from CallingPLUS but accomplishes some of the same goals.  **

95 Comments
Community Manager

That is correct.

Journeyman

SO Basically we can say New IPHONE XS is not for sprint as sprint advertised it is cheap becasue no service on that phone. sprint only allow grandfather phones not new. wow.............

Journeyman

These devices have VCC already enabled:

• iPhone 6 devices and newer on IOS 11
  • LG X Charge
  • LG V20
  • LG V30+
  • Essential
  • Samsung J3 Emerge

Says Iphone 6 and newer. Iphone XS is the new one 

Community Manager

I understand the iPhone XS is the new one.  This blog was written way before the release of the iPhone XS.  The new iPhones do not have VCC to prep for VoLTE.

Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback @patelt1981, the blog has been updated.

Journeyman

so is this something going to be fixed? is this from sprint or apple? I just talked Tmobile, ATT and verizon people and they said voice and data is working together on their network on new I PHONE XS and MAX

When sprint will have plan to fix ? or you dont?

GrandMaster

this would be because they have VoLTE in place..well Verizon has it in place in many locations..not all towers are covered fully just yet..but they are getting there..Sprint is about to start launching theirs here before to long as well. GSM carriers like TMO and ATT have had this in place for a long time but that is also how GSM works.

the agent above already mentioned this

Community Manager

I understand the iPhone XS is the new one.  This blog was written way before the release of the iPhone XS.  The new iPhones do not have VCC to prep for VoLTE.

Community Manager

One will be able to talk and surf simultaneously once VoLTE is launched.

Journeyman

when will it be launched?

Journeyman

Thanks @fireguy_6364 than answered me what to do stay with Sprint or move to Tmob.

GrandMaster

once VoLTE launches you'll be back to doing both talk/surf the web. rumour is within the next couple months. usually carriers will not post an exact or even rough guess as to when something like this will launch due to so many variables that could pop up and delay it.

but last rumour was within the next few months give or take.

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

Was wondering why unlocked phones are not receiving Call Plus. I've been a Sprint customer for over 20 years and this is the 1st time I'm thinking about leaving. As a full paying customer with 4 lines of service, we should be entitled to ALL aspects of the Sprint network, applications and capabilities.

Journeyman

Brought my iPhone 6s to T Mobile last year and they worked perfectly. Bought new iPhone 8’s and they work the same. I hope when the merger finally happens you will also be pleased with your iPhones again.

GrandMaster

@rfb

Calling Plus is a BUILT IN ability..not a random app you can download. the only devices that come with this are the ones purchased from Sprint that have it already built in...as do many other carriers with their carrier specific built in abilities.

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364

If you have a sprint sim card and a phone from another company sprint plus is updated to your imported phone automatically. I am happy this topic is getting much more attention. I can't wait for volt and sprint plus to be obsolete. Thank you for all the info and updates firefly. For the record if it helps anyone,  I run a galaxy note 8 from Verizon. Sprint plus updated immediately when it came out. It is still soooooo stupid I have to plan my drives around wireless restaurants all day to mix daily living and work. Even then when on a wifi my data still has glitches and signs me out of my apps. When delivering food or driving for Lyft/uber the money lost is greater than a punch in the face. Thanks for the weekly black eye sprint :-(

Journeyman

Correction (**bleep** autocorrect)

*Fireguy not firefly. 

*VoLTE to install and sprint plus to be obsolete.

GrandMaster

are you meaning Calling Plus? the only thing i can think of that an outside device might possibly get would be wifi calling..the LTE data calling side of Calling Plus would not pull into an outside purchased device...at least none that i have heard..only the WFC side which you are already using.

GrandMaster

and same scenario if you were to take a Sprint phone to Verizon for example.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1583587#1583587

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364

"Calling Plus is a BUILT IN ability..not a random app you can download. the only devices that come with this are the ones purchased from Sprint that have it already built in...as do many other carriers with their carrier specific built in abilities."

Yes. This is very true and sad at the same time. Since carriers including Sprint welcome BYODs, customers do not realize the ramifications of missing out on "carrier stocked" phones until AFTER they activate and use the unlocked device.

In addition and after much exhaustive research, there are quite a few Sprint customers with unlocked devices (mostly S8, S8+, Note 8...etc...) that have been able to receive OTA updates that included Calling Plus. These OTAs highlighted "WIFI Calling is now Calling Plus".

I've been bounced around between Sprint IT and Samsung IT. Each will put blame on one another for not sending the OTA to ALL unlocked devices, but do confirm carrier stocked phones have Calling Plus or will receive it via OTA! 

So, if a carrier stocked device can receive Calling Plus via OTA, why can't all unlocked devices receive the same? Sorry, but this is an unacceptable policy, especially since there are documented unlocked devices that have already received Calling Plus OTA. 

Community Manager

Given the upcoming sunset of Calling PLUS, we will lock this thread.  For information regarding the decommissioning of Calling PLUS, please visit: Regarding Calling PLUS Service Decommission

About the Author
  • In addition to being a Sprint Employee and Product Ambassador, GeekGeoff is an unabashed Star Wars fan, Tech Junkie and Father to a precocious 9 year old. When he’s not writing blogs, he can be found playing video games, searching for the best donut shop or debating which Doctor is the best (for the record, it’s number 10).
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes