cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUMOR MILL - 2019 iPhones aka iPhone 11 aka iPhone XI

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

The 2019 iPhone / iPhone 11 / XI / whatever rumors are ramping up as we get closer to our annual fall announcement and release so let's start breaking down what we might be seeing!

3 Models:

• All the rumor mills seem to be in agreement that we'll get 3 new phones similar to the XS, XS Max, and XR lineup we got in 2018 with 5.8 and 6.5-inch OLED screens on the flagship models and a 6.1-inch LCD screen on the entry-level XR replacement.
  • For the sake of this article I'm going to call them the 11, 11 Max, and 11R, respectively. 
  • We can expect each model to graduate up to the A13 Bionic chip and be faster and more power efficient than the previous generation. 

Body:

• The front of each of the 3 phones is said to be identical to the previous generation. 
  • The back of the 11 and 11 Max might be made up of a single piece of glass (potentially frosted) covering the new camera bump (more on that later).
  • Case leaks are showing us the mute switch changing to an up/down orientation with a round toggle instead of left/right rectangle toggle. 
  • We should see bigger batteries in each model.
  • 11R might get lavender and green shades for case options this year.

Cameras

• Case leaks have also showed us that the 11 and 11 Max are expected to get triple-lens rear cameras housed in a square camera bump in the normal spot with the 11R adopting the dual lens camera that was previously included in the flagship models. 
  • The triple camera array should provide a larger field of view, better zoom capabilities, and better low light handling.
  • All three of the selfie cameras in 2019 lineup are expected to be 12 megapixels, up from 7 megapixels in the 2018 run.
  • We are likely looking at seeing an upgraded TrueDepth camera on each of the 3 models for better face scanning. 

Feature Updates:

• Bilateral charging is looking to be an added feature at least for the flagship 11 and 11 Max devices. Think the back-to-back Galaxy 10 wireless charging for sharing your phone's juice with wireless charging headphones, other capable phones, etc.
  • 11 and 11 Max may support the Apple Pencil.
  • Some are saying Apple might move to USB-C but the majority think we should expect to stay with the Lightning port for now. However, rumors seem to indicate possibly getting a Lightning to USB-C cable in box along with a larger 18w wall adapter for faster charging.
  • Apple nixed 3D Touch with the iPhone XR and looks to be replacing it with a new Haptic Touch feature using long-presses as a replacement across all iPhones going forward. This has been almost entirely confirmed through updates made to the handling of long-presses in iOS 13.

My hot takes*

I'll never be sold on the notch lifestyle, but I'd be lying if I said that the TrueDepth camera system doesn't scan faster and more reliably than any other face or iris scanner I've stumbled across. While I've gotten used to and accepted the notch, that doesn't mean I'm a fan of it. I'd personally like to see some innovation from Apple when it comes to the front facing camera array and getting us to a true full screen experience however they can.

I really think that they need to step up to the plate when it comes to low light photography because Google's Night Sight is seriously SO GOOD and makes Apple's low light photos seem like a joke. Oh yeah and camera bumps are GROSS. The fact that everyone seems to be OK with them growing in size is confusing triggers me into a weird nerd rage. I guess it looks I've got another year of hiding that nasty old camera bump inside a case yet again. 

Now, despite all my apparent whinin' and hatin', I still consider myself an Apple fan and do look forward to the final product and official lineup. I'd personally like to be impressed and wowed again, maybe even feel excited for my next iPhone and not as if I'm upgrading for some camera and performance increases. Obviously time will tell and we'll have to wait and see what else leaks out as we get closer to release date. As they say, patience is a virtue and I'm all out of bubble gum. Or something like that. 

All of this was pieced together from numerous articles out on MacRumors, 9to5Mac, MacWorld, Tom's Guide, and TechRadar to name a few sources. I'll be here keeping an eye out for all the newest rumors and leaks so feel free to drop me a comment if you hear something interesting or want to chat about the new 2019 iPhones.

*These opinions are strictly my own and do not reflect those of Sprint.