cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Calling PLUS Service Decommission

Community Manager

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  I have a major announcement regarding Calling PLUS.  If you are using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call, please pay close attention.  Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device beginning September 29th, 2018.  Please be advised every device will not receive the update at the same time.  There will be a series of deployments over the course of several months.  Please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

Here are your options for the system update:

• Accept the system update - it will permanently remove LTE Calling (beta) from your device.  Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update - LTE Calling (beta) service will remain active.  You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimization until you accept the system update.

Current Calling PLUS devices include:

LG

• G6
  • G7 ThinQ
  • Stylo 3 (LS-777)
  • Tribute Dynasty
  • V30+
  • X Charge

Motorola

• Moto Z2 Force
  • Moto Z3 Play

Samsung

• Galaxy S8
  • Galaxy S8 Active
  • Galaxy S8+
  • Galaxy S9
  • Galaxy S9+
  • J7 Perx
  • Note 8

If you have questions or concerns, please feel to reach out to our S.M.A.R.T. Agents or leave a comment below.

92 Comments
Journeyman

So does this mean that once we update, we will no longer be able to use the internet while on a call unless we are on wifi? 

Journeyman

Good Morming, what it is going to replace Calling Plus or what else is on the Update.

Journeyman

Seems like a downgrade if you ask me.  Essentially,  calling plus allowed is the be current when it came to devices.  For years,  other carriers were able to surf the web while in a call without the use of wifi yet sprint just barely added this feature.  Now with the decommission of calling plus,  it seems that we will not be able to surf the web while on a call.  If this is the case,  i'll be leaving sprint.  Ive already terminated 2 lines last month and I got 2 more to terminate.  

GrandMaster

to all three posters above. Calling Plus is getting pulled due to the fact that they are about to release VoLTE (Voice over LTE)..which as one of you pointed out "the other carriers have been able to do it for years"...which they have been able to do this due to ...VoLTE..which is about to be released here. if they keep the Beta data call side of Calling Plus it will conflict with VoLTE and not work correctly..which is why they are pulling it in preparation of the VoLTE launch.

as is the most recently released devices do not include the Beta data calling side and only came with wifi calling

Community Manager

@alberto_lopez71 Yes, once you update you will no longer be able to use the internet while on call unless you are are on wifi.  However, you will be after VoLTE launch.

@E_PELLOT VoLTE will replace Calling Plus.  The update can be fluid, so not only would it remove Calling Plus, but it may include security patches and other items.  The updates would vary by device.

@fireguy_6364 you are correct.  Others are able to do SVD via VoLTE.  It is not a downgrade, but it's a preparation for better things.  

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am : Will the system update be sent to all of the devices listed above that are unlocked?

Community Manager

The system updates will go out starting 9/29.  They will not go to all devices listed above at the same time.

I not sure what you mean be unlocked.  There are devices that are on Sprint and are unlocked because they have met certain financial/time obligations.  Then there are devices that are purchased from manufacturers unlocked or come from other carrier unlocked.  The former will receive the updates.

GrandMaster

you shouldnt be affected because technically you do not have Calling Plus..you only have the wifi calling side of it if im remembering right.

the Beta data calling side of Calling Plus is what is getting removed.

Journeyman

It never worked on my Note 8 anyways. No big deal to me.

GrandMaster

i never ran into any issues with it and my G6. at least not that i could ever remember..out of the two the main one i always used was the wifi calling side of it.

im a bit stoked to check out true VoLTE though..

Journeyman

Does anyone know when the VoLTE is coming? I don't want to accept the update (which will remove the Calling Plus) until I know VoLTE will replace it immediately. I can't tell you how many exits I've missed because I was on a call and Waze wouldn't work (until I got Calling Plus).

GrandMaster

not sure if there will be updates like in the past with the LTE roll out or not with this one.

Journeyman

I'm thinking of waiting to accept the update until I know VoLTE is in place.

Journeyman

After speaking with a sprint rep earlier today,  volte is currently on in certain metropolitan areas such as NYC.  If you are in one of the markets when this software update takes place,  you'll still be able to talk and surf the web just as you have been with calling plus.  

Journeyman

Thank you @alberto_lopez71, but how do we know which markets are up and running? I'm in the DC metropolitan area.

Journeyman

@lteachum01 the best way to know would be to contact sprint

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am

"There are devices that are on Sprint and are unlocked because they have met certain financial/time obligations.  Then there are devices that are purchased from manufacturers unlocked or come from other carrier unlocked.  The former will receive the updates."

Just to confirm then, unlocked devices purchased from the manufacturer will not receive the updates?

Community Manager

@alberto_lopez71 and @lteachum01 Officially, there are no markets launched and calling Sprint to ask which markets are active would be a waste of time.  Stay tuned to https://newsroom.sprint.com/index.cfm for announcements.

@rfb That's correct.

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am

Thank you.

Journeyman

Has anyone received the update yet?

Journeyman

No in PR

Community Manager

Delayed

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am any reason for the delay

Community Manager

Just resource check.  Nothing major.

Journeyman

Major enough to delay it.  Anyhow,  any word when the update will go out?

About the Author
  • In addition to being a Sprint Employee and Product Ambassador, GeekGeoff is an unabashed Star Wars fan, Tech Junkie and Father to a precocious 9 year old. When he’s not writing blogs, he can be found playing video games, searching for the best donut shop or debating which Doctor is the best (for the record, it’s number 10).
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes