cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Calling PLUS Service Decommission

Community Manager

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  I have a major announcement regarding Calling PLUS.  If you are using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call, please pay close attention.  Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device beginning September 29th, 2018.  Please be advised every device will not receive the update at the same time.  There will be a series of deployments over the course of several months.  Please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

Here are your options for the system update:

• Accept the system update - it will permanently remove LTE Calling (beta) from your device.  Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update - LTE Calling (beta) service will remain active.  You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimization until you accept the system update.

Current Calling PLUS devices include:

LG

• G6
  • G7 ThinQ
  • Stylo 3 (LS-777)
  • Tribute Dynasty
  • V30+
  • X Charge

Motorola

• Moto Z2 Force
  • Moto Z3 Play

Samsung

• Galaxy S8
  • Galaxy S8 Active
  • Galaxy S8+
  • Galaxy S9
  • Galaxy S9+
  • J7 Perx
  • Note 8

If you have questions or concerns, please feel to reach out to our S.M.A.R.T. Agents or leave a comment below.

126 Comments
Community Manager

Not at all, dates get pushed back all the time.  Software updates will vary by device.  The updates will be posted in My Phone section for your respective device.

GrandMaster

if for example they ran their pre tests on a number of devices after removing the Beta side of Calling Plus and they ran into something like it no longer connects to wifi they will have to go back in and figure out why and then fix it before they attempt sending it out to the mass.

Community Manager

I wish it were something exciting like that, but it's just a little resource check.  Make sure all is in place and everything goes smoothly.

Journeyman

Any news as to when the update is going to be pushed out?

Community Manager

Depends on your device.  First up to bat is the S8/S8+ and that should be by the end of this week.  he updates will be posted in My Phone section for your respective device.

Journeyman

Looks like I got my update just now

Journeyman

@alberto_lopez71 Let us know if you get VoLTE!

Journeyman

@lteachum01 so far so good.  Installed the update.  Updated my profile along with prl.  Had a friend call me and surfed the web with no issues.  In fact,  it was impressively fast.  

Journeyman

@alberto_lopez71 sounds promising, but were you at home on your wi-fi? Big difference if you're in the car using cell service!

Journeyman

No wifi.  I initially took the call indoors and walked a few blocks while testing.  

Journeyman

@alberto_lopez71 ahhhh - sounds promising!

Journeyman

Thank you for the update!

Journeyman

I be able to test it more tomorrow during my morning commute.  Get a better feel.  I'll be sure to post about the experience tomorrow

Journeyman

Sounds good, thanks for let us know. Let see how works for me.

Journeyman

Got the update, I have the Volte option but if I try it it is not available. lost part of the voice coverage in my residence. 

GrandMaster

your market might not have lit it up just yet. its going market to market not all at once.

Journeyman

Anyone experiencing dropped calls since this update? Had to contact sprint and even then,  I dropped the call like 7 times while speaking with a rep

GrandMaster

do you know if you were on a LTE call or not?

Journeyman

I'm actually on Volte

GrandMaster

so a lot of it is going to depend on your LTE signal strength. same as it did with the Beta data calling. lack of signal or loss will drop said signal. how are your strengths? and are you dropping the calls in certain areas?

Journeyman

Never had the issue before.  

Community Manager

@alberto_lopez71 PM me your number and I create a ticket for you.

Journeyman

I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8+ purchased directly from Samsung, and I received the update, contrary to what was posted. I'm not accepting the update until voLTE is up and running.

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@Pdxbud

Thank you for this updated info. I too have an unlocked device, Note 8 purchased directly from Samsung.

Although I haven't received any notification to update, I will certainly wait as well before accepting it.

@Em_Will_I_Am

So much for unlocked devices NOT receiving the update. Also, I can appreciate your expertise and support of all posters here, but I've had many dropped calls and signal issues with my Note 8. Even sent it back to Samsung for validation and the entire motherboard was replaced!

Still have dropped calls in many different locations. This tells me it's a network issue and not the device! 

Thanks!

GrandMaster

since you do not have Calling Plus on your device i dont believe its going to matter..unless they included a security patch along with it or some other random bug fixes.