cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Calling PLUS Service Decommission

Community Manager

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  I have a major announcement regarding Calling PLUS.  If you are using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call, please pay close attention.  Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device beginning September 29th, 2018.  Please be advised every device will not receive the update at the same time.  There will be a series of deployments over the course of several months.  Please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

Here are your options for the system update:

• Accept the system update - it will permanently remove LTE Calling (beta) from your device.  Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update - LTE Calling (beta) service will remain active.  You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimization until you accept the system update.

Current Calling PLUS devices include:

LG

• G6
  • G7 ThinQ
  • Stylo 3 (LS-777)
  • Tribute Dynasty
  • V30+
  • X Charge

Motorola

• Moto Z2 Force
  • Moto Z3 Play

Samsung

• Galaxy S8
  • Galaxy S8 Active
  • Galaxy S8+
  • Galaxy S9
  • Galaxy S9+
  • J7 Perx
  • Note 8

If you have questions or concerns, please feel to reach out to our S.M.A.R.T. Agents or leave a comment below.

126 Comments
Journeyman

I do have Calling Plus, and they did include a security patch along with it.

GrandMaster

if its a device purchased directly from the OEM then no it does not have Calling Plus. wifi calling perhaps but to make it Calling Plus it would also need to include Beta data calling..which is not in your phone correct?

Journeyman

Actually, my OEM phone purchased directly from Samsung received Calling Plus with Beta LTE Calling and Wi-
Fi Calling once I switched to Sprint from Metro PCS. 

GrandMaster

interesting.

Journeyman

One of the Wi-Fi calling features that has become very important to me is the ability to text over Wi-Fi - which was critical while in flight. Does anyone know if VoLTE will allow for that as well once this update goes through? 

@Pdxbud how do you know VoLTE is not up for you? I think I will also wait until I have VoLTE, but the question is - how will I know when that is? I'm in the DC area.

@alberto_lopez71 you said you have VoLTE, but were dropping calls (has that been cleared up for you? or are you still dropping calls?).

Thanks all!

Journeyman

@lteachum01 since speaking to the sprint rep, I've only had one drop call so I would have to say it's improved but,  time will tell.  I will just call it growing pains

Journeyman

@lteachum01 I'm in the Portland Oregon area, and I've heard nothing about voLTE being available yet here. 

Journeyman

@lteachum01 this is the supposed list that has VoLTE

• Atlanta-Athens
  • Chicago
  • Dallas-Ft. Worth
  • Houston
  • Indianapolis
  • Kansas
  • Missouri
  • New York City
  • Oregon-West Washington
  • Philadelphia
  • Pittsburgh
  • San Francisco Bay
  • South Bay
  • Southern Jersey
  • Washington, DC
Journeyman

ok. Thanks @alberto_lopez71

Community Manager

@Pdxbud and @rfb I still stand by my earlier comment.  The update has not been pushed to unlocked S8/S8+ SE.  @Pdxbud if you have a true unlocked SE, you would not have Calling Plus.  So updating would not remove it.  Just to be sure, I called Samsung and was told the same thing.

GrandMaster

@lteachum01

VoLTE would have zero affect on wifi or wifi calling..different antennas. one has nothing to do with the other.

VoLTE is exactly what it says..Voice over LTE..meaning calls and browse at the same time with some random other additional abilities.

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am and @fireguy_6364

Thanks for the info. Quick question and my apologies if I missed it. I saw earlier the listed areas with VoLTE. 

Are there any indications on one's device that shows VoLTE in the same manner as how LTE is displayed?

Thanks in advance!

GrandMaster

Will will need to answer that one. im not fully sure. im awaiting the update for my G6 and launch of VoLTE in my area here soon..just not quite here just yet.

actually @alberto_lopez71 can answer that one. he has the update and is in an area with VoLTE launched.

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 @rfb

On my s8+ it's an icon that sits near the alarm and signal icon.  Looks similar to the calling plus icon

GrandMaster

mind hitting us with a screen shot of it..if anything you get to show off the background you are running on your phone lol.

Journeyman

Screenshot_20181010-164837_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

GrandMaster

nice so it actually tells you when you are connected to VoLTE. if you are not connected to VoLTE does it have a line through it or it just isnt there? i think i would prefer the later of two rather than seeing a line through it.

Journeyman

If not connected,  the icon disappears

Journeyman

So my wifi calling settings are under the calling plus settings. What happens when that goes away? Will wifi calling go away too? Or will VoLTE have it?Screenshot_20181010-174058_Calling Plus.jpg

GrandMaster

wifi calling stays but the beta calling goes.

Here are your options for the system update:

• Accept the system update - it will permanently remove LTE Calling (beta) from your device.  >>>>>Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.<<<<

mind posting the model number on that phone.

GrandMaster

@Pdxbud and @rfb

mind posting both of your model numbers.

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wasn't sure if you were talking to me. I have an S8 Model number SM-G950U

Thanks!

Journeyman

SM-G955U S8+

Community Manager

@lteachum01 You will have the choice of Wifi Calling.  Turn on one or the another of both.

Capture.PNG

Community Manager

@lteachum01 You will have the choice of Wifi Calling.  Turn on one or the another of both.

Capture.PNG