cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Calling PLUS Service Decommission

Community Manager

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  I have a major announcement regarding Calling PLUS.  If you are using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call, please pay close attention.  Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device beginning September 29th, 2018.  Please be advised every device will not receive the update at the same time.  There will be a series of deployments over the course of several months.  Please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

Here are your options for the system update:

• Accept the system update - it will permanently remove LTE Calling (beta) from your device.  Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update - LTE Calling (beta) service will remain active.  You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimization until you accept the system update.

Current Calling PLUS devices include:

LG

• G6
  • G7 ThinQ
  • Stylo 3 (LS-777)
  • Tribute Dynasty
  • V30+
  • X Charge

Motorola

• Moto Z2 Force
  • Moto Z3 Play

Samsung

• Galaxy S8
  • Galaxy S8 Active
  • Galaxy S8+
  • Galaxy S9
  • Galaxy S9+
  • J7 Perx
  • Note 8

If you have questions or concerns, please feel to reach out to our S.M.A.R.T. Agents or leave a comment below.

126 Comments
GrandMaster

@Pdxbud

hate to tell yuh but you might have purchased that phone directly from Samsung..but you purchased a unlocked Sprint branded S8+.

if it were a S8+ Special Edition (SE) that would be different and no you would not have Calling Plus on your phone..you can double check with Samsung..but the U at the back of that model number you posted is for the Sprint variant...just purchased directly from Samsung instead of Sprint.

ditto with yours @lteachum01 . yours would need to be the S8 Special Edition..which would end with P...not a U. the Special Edition fully carrier unlocked model would be 950P

the model numbers are the key here..well that and versions

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 I don't want to argue with you,  but I purchased the phone directly from Samsung way back when I was with t-mobile. I then used the phone when I switched to metro pcs. Now I am using the phone with Sprint. That's just the facts, regardless of what you believe the model number shows. 

Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 are you saying I have an unlocked phone? Why would my phone be something that it shouldn't? I purchased the phone directly from a Sprint store.

GrandMaster

my bad @lteachum01 tagged the wrong person lol.

Journeyman

well, this is a disappointment to see this NOW, and not after my phone became worthless to me.

if i am read everything here correctly, no wi fi calling ability? So since my sprint signals which are worthless in the place i live and depend on ability to call and receive calls via wi-Fi calling, I am out of luck? I could care less if i could use internet and phone at same time .... i use it as a PHONE, not a web browser.

Am I missing something in all of this? is there some secret that makes us able to use some form of wi fi calling since sprint removed my use of it through calling plus??????   is my ONLy option to communicate now require me to change carriers in order to communicate? Every other cell signal "brand" in this area can reach in my living space, but sprints signal is 1 bar most times and drops out so often, phone doesn't always go to roam... Sprint doesn't allow a button or feature to FORCE roaming (so i could at least communicate when at home) .. so please... I have been hot under the collar for a few hours here after trying to connect to sprint service reps and calls dropping, they seem to know NOTHING about this issue and i am definitely the first person telling them about this issue, experiencing the way they respond about it.. they don know... they just keep repeating... "well sir, i see you have calling plus on your phone., it was sold with it.." ARRRGGGG!!!!!!   just an honest answer, for an immediate need, is being begged for here. I can not conduct business without being able for this phone to ring. Do i need change carriers or is there a means of continuing wi fi calling or remove the software update so i can at least use calling plus wi fi calling with beta turned off as i had always kept it?

Journeyman

@alleninc02 I don't know what type of phone you have, but on my s8, if you go to Settings, Connections, Voice Networks, you can turn the Wi-fi calling back on and should work as before. It got turned off by default with the latest update, but is still there.

Journeyman

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are WONDERFUL!!!!...

Hours... and i mean HOURS of online searches, calls to sprint that drop out and MUCH frustration with those i did talk to, not knowing anything about this and treating it like an "App" issue... you solve my issue.  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

@alleninc02 Well that sucks for you, but no problem.

Journeyman

All, 

Wanted to let you know - I went ahead with the update and it went pretty well. I drove today and had Waze on while on a call and it did seem to continue mapping along my route. So that test seems to have passed. I did notice like others have said, that by default VoLTE and Wi-fi calling aren't turned on. You have to go into your settings and turn them on. On my s8, it's located under Settings, Connections, Voice Networks. I also saw the little symbol at the top (and in tiny print it says volte in the center of what looks to be a wi-fi type symbol) when I'm out of my house and not on my wi-fi.  One BIG thing I noticed is that my call quality is 2000 times better now. Before, my calls were choppy and I dropped calls a lot. Today, I tested a call to someone who always complained that the call was terrible, but not today. He said the call sounded fine. So another test has passed. Kudos Sprint - finally doing something right.

Journeyman

Now for my next question, does anyone know if there will be an update for the iphone 6 & 7? My 2 sons have an iphone and their gps/data doesn't work while they're driving and on a call.

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@lteachum01     One BIG thing I noticed is that my call quality is 2000 times better now. Before, my calls were choppy and I dropped calls a lot. Today, I tested a call to someone who always complained that the call was terrible, but not today. He said the call sounded fine. So another test has passed. Kudos Sprint - finally doing something right.

Very nice and thank you for this update. 

There are some of us here who have directly purchased unlocked Samsung devices and I believe will NOT be able to enjoy this major update and improvement in call quality.

Once again, maybe @Em_Will_I_Am can confirm this.

If so, is there a way we can get this update? 

Thank you.

Journeyman

@lteachum01 my call quality has improved tremendously over the last week or so.  Things are looking up!

Community Manager

@lteachum01 regarding your iPhone question...(consults Sprint Legal)...Please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

@rfb regarding your unlocked Samsung phone question...(consults Sprint Legal)...Not at this current time.

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am

This is truly unfortunate and very disappointing. Just curious, why would you mention Sprint Legal consultation?

Thank you.

Community Manager

There are certain items I'm not at liberty to say.  Keep your head up @rfb, not at this current time.

GrandMaster

@rfb

Apple is EXTREMELY tight lipped when it comes to any of their devices and what might or might not happen with them..keep in mind that technically they do not have Calling Plus..they have the wifi calling side but the data calling side is not quite the same as what is on the Android devices..until an update is about to release the agents in here are held back info wise. once they get the go ahead Will or one of the other Admins will start up either a thread about it or a blog.

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am and @fireguy_6364

Thanks all. 

I'm planning to find out if Samsung and THEIR unlocked devices is as tight lipped as Apple. 

Journeyman

Dear @Em_Will_I_Am, I have a brand new LG V40, which I am head over heels in love with (It has the best network performance of any Sprint device to date, with its FIFTH additional antenna band as well!)

It has an option built in for "Calling Plus" & as you know, this is a brand new device past the cut off time.

My questions are twofold Sir: 1: In the past, CP would autosuckily TAKE AWAY HD Voice. Does VoLTE bring BACK HD Voice? 2: What up with not ONE software update since launch, on a $1,000 flagship? Is the pending release for the camera improvements and battery issues going to contain this VoLTE update and 'remove' calling plus which wasn't supposed to even be there?

Lastly, I have no idea why but visual voicemail is totally broken with this device, just an FYI.

Community Manager

VoLTE utilizes its own version of HD Voice, so yes there is HD Voice.  The V40 was release less than 2 weeks ago.  It would be premature to expect a software update on a $1K flagship device or otherwise.  Unless it was some crazy issue that needed to be addressed immediately, but certainly not for bug fixes.  I have not seen any V40 payloads and not sure if the next update contains VoLTE or not.  As always,  please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

PM me about the VVM issues.

Journeyman

Thank you for the reply @Em_Will_I_Am! The security software set at September, along w/ the battery issues was something I thought would be addressed pretty quickly, but I definitely get what you're saying.

Thanks for the offer to help w/ VVM, I am going to PM you.

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  I have a major announcement regarding Calling PLUS.  If you are using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call, please pay close attention.  Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device beginning September 29th, 2018.  Please be advised every device will not receive the update at the same time.  There will be a series of deployments over the course of several months.  Please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

Here are your options for the system update:

• Accept the system update - it will permanently remove LTE Calling (beta) from your device.  Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update - LTE Calling (beta) service will remain active.  You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimization until you accept the system update.

Current Calling PLUS devices include:

LG

• G6
  • G7 ThinQ
  • Stylo 3 (LS-777)
  • Tribute Dynasty
  • V30+
  • X Charge

Motorola

• Moto Z2 Force
  • Moto Z3 Play

Samsung

• Galaxy S8
  • Galaxy S8 Active
  • Galaxy S8+
  • Galaxy S9
  • Galaxy S9+
  • J7 Perx
  • Note 8

If you have questions or concerns, please feel to reach out to our S.M.A.R.T. Agents or leave a comment below.

don't know yet why this delay this is so ugly 

Journeyman

thank you dude 

GrandMaster

because it isnt something Sprint sends out..this is something each OEM must get put together with Sprint...the last one i noticed included a security patch..which is not on Sprints side..so odds are they are including in some other things whether it be a security patch...possible bug fix..or just the removal of the data side of calling plus..

they could also be running into issues with removing it from devices in some cases..unknown at this point until they actually kick it out..

not sure why its being considered ugly though..not exactly hindering you from using your device currently is it?

Journeyman

I was migrated over from Nextel and always enjoyed Voice over data until recent years. I had voice over data through three phones on sprint at least. When I "upgraded" from  my galaxy III to my S4 I lost that functionality. It's not a new thing coming. It's coming back. It sucks that it was ever removed as a part of "progress."

GrandMaster

incorrect...it IS a new thing coming. you had the ability before because the phone had two antennas and could pull in 4G while the other antenna handled the call..newer devices only have one antenna hence no longer being able to perform a call and use data until VoLTE kicks out..which allows the call to be done over the data connection so that one antenna can then handle both data and the call.

its quite new and no where near what was able to be done in the past....not even in the same ball park