cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Calling PLUS Service Decommission

Community Manager

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  I have a major announcement regarding Calling PLUS.  If you are using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call, please pay close attention.  Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device beginning September 29th, 2018.  Please be advised every device will not receive the update at the same time.  There will be a series of deployments over the course of several months.  Please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

Here are your options for the system update:

• Accept the system update - it will permanently remove LTE Calling (beta) from your device.  Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update - LTE Calling (beta) service will remain active.  You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimization until you accept the system update.

Current Calling PLUS devices include:

LG

• G6
  • G7 ThinQ
  • Stylo 3 (LS-777)
  • Tribute Dynasty
  • V30+
  • X Charge

Motorola

• Moto Z2 Force
  • Moto Z3 Play

Samsung

• Galaxy S8
  • Galaxy S8 Active
  • Galaxy S8+
  • Galaxy S9
  • Galaxy S9+
  • J7 Perx
  • Note 8

If you have questions or concerns, please feel to reach out to our S.M.A.R.T. Agents or leave a comment below.

110 Comments
Journeyman

I just wanted to privide a late update & thank Will for fixing my VVM issues on my LG V40!

Still a very "buggy" ohone, which I've had to factory reset already, but as far as the issue which he was able to assist, he did so amazingly well. 

Thanks @Em_Will_I_Am

Community Manager

Thank you sir!  I'm glad I could help.

Journeyman

I'm so sorry for the late reply, but I it really meant a lot to me that you fixed it so quickly!

Community Manager

Don't mention it @SouthBay_Mike.  You were here before I was.  You are a legend. The pleasure is all mine.

Journeyman

This is my 7th GALAXY NOTE 8 AND THEY KEEP SAYING IT'S SAMSUNG PROBLEM.BROUGHT IT TO A REPAIR CENTER.AND THE GUY TOLD ME THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BRAND NEW IN AUG.SINCE I'VE BEEN CONTACTING THEM.THIS IS REALLY CRAZY. I WAS PAYING ALMOST 240 A MONTH.AND THEY DID ME A FAVOR AND GOT IT DOWN TO 215 .CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT.FOR THIS GREAT SERVICE.

GrandMaster

does your problem have ANYTHING to do with the removal of Beta data calling from Calling Plus?

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am  and @fireguy_6364

Hi all. I can sympathize with @michael1179

Although I've posted several times regarding this subject, I wanted to provide an update regarding my device.

I purchased an UNLOCKED Note 8 and it's been a roller-coaster ride of emotional usage for the entire year of 2018. Since we already know UNLOCKED devices on Sprint have been biased against any system upgrades for simultaneous talk/data vs. carrier stock issue, this particular phone has been to the Samsung Repair center 3 times in the last 6 months for dropped calls, intermittent calls and call clarity, especially over Bluetooth. We all love the technological capabilities of smartphones, but when one cannot use a phone as a primary communication device, it becomes extremely frustrating. 

Needless to say and after ripping Samsung Tech support 2 weeks ago on a "this is it" call, I finally received my Note 8 back from service. This is the 2nd time the PBA (motherboard) was replaced, along with the camera and some other components. So far and after the past 2 days, calls are stable and quality has improved tremendously. 

Still disappointed after being a loyal Sprint customer for 20 years, I cannot utilize the full capabilities of Sprint updates and upgrades because of an UNLOCKED device. 

I'll stop the rant here, but if either of you have an update for UNLOCKED devices receiving the capability of simultaneous call/data, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy Holidays.

GrandMaster

i seriously mixed you up with another poster with a like name lol

not a whole lot they can do with a device that does not get loaded with any of their carrier branded stuff..that part is out of their hands.

as for the other poster..his issue has NOTHING to do with Calling Plus or the removal of the Beta Calling side of it..has zip to do with this thread or anything about it.

Journeyman rfb
Journeyman

Really @fireguy_6364?

Your'e absolutely correct regarding the prior posting and @Em_Will_I_Am responding to those.

As mentioned before, those of us who never had the luxury of Calling Plus because of owning UNLOCKED devices have been biased by 2 very large companies. Yes, there are "hacks" out there and guidance to enable settings in UNLOCKED devices, but the whole point from the beginning, which you obviously missed, was not having the capability through system updates to utilize Calling Plus and the upgraded replacement.

@Em_Will_I_Am asked me to hang in there some time ago. It was a simple response, reply and observation, along with a question if there's been any update for UNLOCKED devices to receive the update. 

Please do not remind me of what was past. I'm fully aware and THIS IS THE THREAD to ask.

Peace

GrandMaster

my bad..edited..i mixed you up with another poster that has been a bit of a pain...extremely like screen names..

hopefully at some point they will be able to add onto unlocked devices things like WFC but at the current moment still they are stuck. heck it still hasnt been that long since they kicked out the ability to download their VM app to unlocked devices..well newer unlocked devices at least.

About the Author
  • In addition to being a Sprint Employee and Product Ambassador, GeekGeoff is an unabashed Star Wars fan, Tech Junkie and Father to a precocious 9 year old. When he’s not writing blogs, he can be found playing video games, searching for the best donut shop or debating which Doctor is the best (for the record, it’s number 10).
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes