cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Calling PLUS Service Decommission

Community Manager

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  I have a major announcement regarding Calling PLUS.  If you are using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call, please pay close attention.  Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device beginning September 29th, 2018.  Please be advised every device will not receive the update at the same time.  There will be a series of deployments over the course of several months.  Please check the respective discussion board for your device to receive details and date of software updates.

Here are your options for the system update:

• Accept the system update - it will permanently remove LTE Calling (beta) from your device.  Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update - LTE Calling (beta) service will remain active.  You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimization until you accept the system update.

Current Calling PLUS devices include:

LG

• G6
  • G7 ThinQ
  • Stylo 3 (LS-777)
  • Tribute Dynasty
  • V30+
  • X Charge

Motorola

• Moto Z2 Force
  • Moto Z3 Play

Samsung

• Galaxy S8
  • Galaxy S8 Active
  • Galaxy S8+
  • Galaxy S9
  • Galaxy S9+
  • J7 Perx
  • Note 8

If you have questions or concerns, please feel to reach out to our S.M.A.R.T. Agents or leave a comment below.

148 Comments
Community Manager

Yeah, that is a tad off topic and we do want to stay on topic here.  If you have problems with your bill, post a topic here.  Hell, shoot me a PM, I don't mind looking into it for you.

Journeyman

I went to a Sprint corporate store and was told if I bought an unlocked Z3 Play I could use internet while calling... Now that I bought it, it seems I will not be able to.

I even went to the store to make sure before I opened the package. Now instead of an unlocked Z3 Play I could sell. I have a Sprint Z3 Play I will have a hard time unloading. Plus the hours I spent on this issue.  Very upsetting.

Sprint branded Z3's can do it. What's the difference? Did Motorola go through the effort of adding/removing an antenna?

Journeyman

Or if I remove the Sprint SIM is back to unlocked?

GrandMaster

it depends...if the Sprint variant Z3s have Calling Plus still on them then that is a built in ability that is added in from the manufacturer upon Sprints request..to their variants... im not sure if they have the VoLTE capability or not

Community Manager

Yeah, I think they are confusing VoLTE with Wifi Calling/Calling Plus.  With VoLTE, you would be able to talk and surf at the same time.  We have the VoLTE capability on a few open market devices such as those from Google and Samsung, but not Moto.  

Journeyman
Journeyman

Been awhile all, but maybe I missed something. Sprint is still having issues with simultaneous talk/surf unless one has VoLTE on certain devices. With that being said, will this continue to be an issue when the merge with T-Mobile is completed?

Thank you.

GrandMaster

it all depends..if you have a device that does not have VoLTE capabilities and still has Calling Plus on it (carrier branded devices only) then you should still be able to use both data and call at the same time.

if you come in with a non carrier variant then its kind of up to the device itself i believe or what the carrier clears to use it..

i have had zero issues with VoLTE calls with my last few devices..the G6 previously which had the Calling Plus on it..and the G8 i have now with the VoLTE capabilities...both have worked perfectly fine for me depending on where i was and or how the signal was obviously.

Journeyman

Hey can you tell me how to check the Z3 for calling plus? I have emailed several ebay sellers and they don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe I can get one to look for it.

GrandMaster

have them send you a screen shot of the screen and the settings area... Calling Plus should be an option in there..CP wouldnt be on any other device unless its a Sprint branded one.

Journeyman

Unless it has been updated is the way I read this.

GrandMaster

then Calling Plus wouldnt be on the screen shot. the list on page one are the devices that have/had CP on them. so if its a device from that list i would have them pull up it up in the settings list and show if its still in there or not.

Journeyman

Hi all! LG G7 Thinq user here. Moved to a terrible coverage area in '17; purchased the G7 and have been using Calling Plus (with no issues) since. VoLTE option became available a few months ago on my device (CP option is still available, as well). As of Friday, the icon for VoLTE icon is no longer present, even when the feature is turned 'On' in Settings - but the icon does appear whenever I leave the house, weirdly enough.

I can no longer make or receive calls for any worthwhile amount of time while in my home, because the feature is no longer working and my normal signal is trash. I work from home and use my phone all day, so this is instantly a huge problem. 4 'Sprint Connect' representatives were totally unable to help, and I am at a complete loss. If anyone can help at all, I honor you in advance: this WILL cause me to switch carriers if I can not get this resolved.

Community Manager

I got your PM and have replied.  Long story short...2 site outages and we are unable to access those sites due to COVID.  Unfortunately, both sites are on top of Senior Living Centers/Nursing Homes.

Journeyman

Hello Em_Will_I_Am - I'm another Sprint user who had Calling Plus deactivated after a recent update.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 with built-in WiFi hotspot.  I used the simultaneous voice & internet a lot before it was decommed.  I live in the Chicago burbs and I have a Sprint tower about a half mile away.  Any word on when Sprint/T-Mobile will come up with a SVI replacement?  Thank you.

Community Manager

Yeah, it's already in effect.  The update added VoLTE to your S9.  So, all you have to do is turn on VoLTE and everything will be handled over the data layer mean voice calls and of course data.  As you result, you get SVD back.  To turn it on, the easiest way is to go to settings and search for VoLTE.  Then slide the switch to on and follow the prompts. 

Journeyman

Nope - SVD still doesn't work for me with VoLTE.  As a test:  with laptop running and WiFi hotspot turned on,  I turned VoLTE on (WiFi Calling=off), restarted my phone and hotspot.  I called my voicemail and ran through a few menu items while browsing on my laptop.  It turns off the wireless connection to my laptop right away.  I repeated the same test with both VoLTE and WiFi Calling turned on and it still doesn't work.  My laptop is running Windows 10 Pro v1903 and browser Microsoft Edge v83.0.478.56.  I also have a Sprint Magic Box running.  Anything else I can try or should I call Sprint tech service?

Journeyman
Journeyman

Haven't been on this board for a long time since leaving Sprint earlier this year. 

I occasionally receive notifications and usually blow them off, but felt compelled to throw in my 2 cents on this topic, especially since I had a few exchanges with the great support posters on this board! I mean that sincerely!!

After being with Sprint for over 20 years, I pulled the plug. Couldn't stand the technical issues such as these, along with several others, and felt Sprint was behind the industry for simultaneous voice and data. I realize there are no perfect cell providers, but SVD has been a long standing Sprint issue with  recent technological upgrades and devices vs other providers. 

Although the merge with T-Mobile will certainly help current Sprint customers, it appears there are still problems. Just wanted to share the same frustrations and why my loyalty to Sprint had waned over the last 2-3 years. 

Thanks again to all who help support this board and may the technical issues go away very soon! All the best!

GrandMaster

good to see you again @rfb . i can say the VoLTE they are rolling with works like a champ..super clear calls..then again im running a device that didnt start off with Calling Plus...

it will be interesting to see how things work or flow when they start merging more things though..

Community Manager

OK, that is a different element you are adding to the mix.  You are using the Wifi hotspot on the device and trying to make a call on your phone while using the hotspot?  Just walking through this in my head because that is a lot of moving parts with the triband chip and the wifi chip.  I will have to test that out personally.  To add to the mix is the Magic Box.  Are you sure you have VoLTE through the Magic Box because there was an issue going back to May when VoLTE did not work via Magic Box.  That was resolved last week and will take several weeks to be implemented because there has to be a manual push.

Journeyman

Even though I'm only 1/2 mile away from the Sprint tower I'm in a valley so that's why I need the Magic Box.

VoLTE icon came on my phone once today.  While it was on I was able to run a quick SVD test it worked OK but the VoLTE icon disappeared soon after and hasn't come back.  I did a restart on the Magic Box to see if that would help (didn't).  After MB restart it says LTE-Connected, Backhaul-Connected, GPS-Disconnected. The MB LTE Backhaul Status says 3 (out of 5) bars.  With the Magic Box on, my phone displays 5 bars most of the time and internet service is good - 144 mbps.  With the Magic Box off, my phone only gets 1 or 2 bars and internet service is bad (unusable).

GrandMaster

so in other words VoLTE isnt working through your Magic Box or it would be as solid as your 5 bar connection.

Community Manager

Real quick, if you are using your home internet as the backhaul for the Magic Box, DO NOT TURN OFF OR RESET THE MAGIC BOX!!  Once you do that, VoLTE registration takes 3 weeks to register with the core.  Meaning you will not have VoLTE for that long.  If you do not have your home internet connected to the Magic Box, then nevermind.

Community Manager

Also, it may be your phone is set to look for cellular first before VoLTE. PM me your number.