cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9: What we (think) we Know so Far

Community Manager

Although many of us hoped that Samsung would surprise and delight us with an announcement at CES, we've had to wait just a bit longer to find out what's in store for the Galaxy S9 and S9+. Although everybody's talking about the February 25th announcement, I thought I would save you a few clicks and post the rumor rundown here. 

BGR says that it's likely the US versions of the Galaxy S9 and 9+ will come loaded with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chip.  There is some debate about possible RAM configurations with Venture Beat speculating that the 9 will come with 4GB and 6GB options and the 9+ could come with 6GB or 12GB versions. It looks like both models will come standard with 64GB memory, though there are still whispers of larger memory capacities possible.  The phones are both likely to come loaded with Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box and a generous 3000mAh battery (the 9+ might get 3500mAh instead).

S9mockup.jpgMock up of Samsung Galaxy S9 courtesy of businesskorea.co.kr

Various sites have posted mockups that show a 3.5mm headphone jack, so there's a decent chance we will once more get to keep it. The jack is definitely visible in the video from My Smart Price below.  We will likely be looking at an iP68 dust and water resistance rating to bring us ever greater protection from, frankly, ourselves. USB C is the new standard in charging ports with that not expected to change on the Galaxy S9 and S9+. 

Although both models are expected to come with the same size and resolution Infinity Display as the 8 and 8+, Samsung is expected to improve its security by upgrading facial and iris recognition technology in a move similar to another phone model released late last year.

Samsung is really focusing on its camera as the major selling point for the new Galaxies. German site WinFuture speculates that both models will come with variable apertures for better low-light shooting and a possible dual camera on the 9+. It's also possible that we may see super slow-mo in both models. Don't speak German? I don't either so I read about it on The Verge.

Want to catch the announcement live? Join me and the rest of the loyal Sammy Squad watching the Samsung Unpacked 2018 event on February 25 and be sure to come back to tell me what you think in the comments!