cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Note 9 Feature: The All New S Pen with Remote Control!

Community Manager

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  We all can get caught up in the specs, but we tend to ignore what the device can/will do. With some help from our friends from Samsung, we are going to go over some of the key features of the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 S Pen.

I have used my fair share of pen/styluses (styluses or styli??) going all the way back to theCapture1.PNG Palm Pilot and most recently the Google Pixelbook.  The Pixelbook Pen has been my favorite thus far.  I will say the short time I used the S Pen on the Note 9, I quickly became a fan.  It had me at hello just by the responsiveness and control waaaaaay before I tried the remote control features.  Boasting a 0.7mm tip and over 4096 levels of pressure, you can easily go from a wide line chisel tipped marker to the fine point of a pencil simply with a change in pressure.  It felt as natural as writing on paper.

Now the remote control features are next level.  The new S Pen uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology which allows a connection to the device.  As a result, you can take better control of your camera, presentations, and apps without touching your phone.  When I first heard this, I thought it may be a novelty thing, but when it was shown to us, I could see this being used quite often.  Let's get an example of it in action:

Capture2.PNGThe S Pen does not just snap selfies and do slide shows.  You can use it to shuffle music or pause/play shows from up to 30 feet away.  I was only able to test it with YouTube on a pre-production device, so I am not sure if it works with other apps such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.  If I were to guess, I'm thinking so, but I am unable to confirm at this time. 

The same features from previous versions exist.  So you can pop out the S Pen to turn on the Screen off memo notepad -  all without unlocking your phone.  From to-do lists to notes, write and pin them to the Always on Display for easy access or find it later in the Samsung Notes app. 

Capture3.PNG

The Note 8 gave us Live Message and the S9 gave AR Emoji.  Imagine if they had a baby.  Now you can liven up your chats with AR Emoji and the S Pen.  Doodle and draw on your emojis and/or get your point across with a handwritten note.

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

For the most part, I loved it.  My only regret is the short amount of time I had to test.

About the Author
  • In addition to being a Sprint Employee and Product Ambassador, GeekGeoff is an unabashed Star Wars fan, Tech Junkie and Father to a precocious 9 year old. When he’s not writing blogs, he can be found playing video games, searching for the best donut shop or debating which Doctor is the best (for the record, it’s number 10).
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes