cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Note 9 Feature: The All New S Pen with Remote Control!

Community Manager

Capture.PNG

What's up Community!  We all can get caught up in the specs, but we tend to ignore what the device can/will do. With some help from our friends from Samsung, we are going to go over some of the key features of the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 S Pen.

I have used my fair share of pen/styluses (styluses or styli??) going all the way back to theCapture1.PNG Palm Pilot and most recently the Google Pixelbook.  The Pixelbook Pen has been my favorite thus far.  I will say the short time I used the S Pen on the Note 9, I quickly became a fan.  It had me at hello just by the responsiveness and control waaaaaay before I tried the remote control features.  Boasting a 0.7mm tip and over 4096 levels of pressure, you can easily go from a wide line chisel tipped marker to the fine point of a pencil simply with a change in pressure.  It felt as natural as writing on paper.

Now the remote control features are next level.  The new S Pen uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology which allows a connection to the device.  As a result, you can take better control of your camera, presentations, and apps without touching your phone.  When I first heard this, I thought it may be a novelty thing, but when it was shown to us, I could see this being used quite often.  Let's get an example of it in action:

Capture2.PNGThe S Pen does not just snap selfies and do slide shows.  You can use it to shuffle music or pause/play shows from up to 30 feet away.  I was only able to test it with YouTube on a pre-production device, so I am not sure if it works with other apps such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.  If I were to guess, I'm thinking so, but I am unable to confirm at this time. 

The same features from previous versions exist.  So you can pop out the S Pen to turn on the Screen off memo notepad -  all without unlocking your phone.  From to-do lists to notes, write and pin them to the Always on Display for easy access or find it later in the Samsung Notes app. 

Capture3.PNG

The Note 8 gave us Live Message and the S9 gave AR Emoji.  Imagine if they had a baby.  Now you can liven up your chats with AR Emoji and the S Pen.  Doodle and draw on your emojis and/or get your point across with a handwritten note.

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

For the most part, I loved it.  My only regret is the short amount of time I had to test.