cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung (S8?) What We Know So Far

Sprint Product Ambassador

Right off the bat we need to include a disclaimer: all the information below is pure speculation, gathered from other resources around the web. Until Samsung makes an official announcement, anything below could change before launch.

SammyS8.pngNow that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s go chat about one of the most anticipated phones of the first quarter.

Name

No Surprise here, multiple outlets are all reporting that Samsung is going to stick with the same naming convention and call this year’s model the Galaxy S8. (Android Authority) The one difference is that with two models coming out, the larger device will have the “Plus” moniker attached to it. (Greenbot "Everything we think we know...") We’ll cover more on the size differences later in this post.

Hardware

There’s pretty decent speculation that the new phone will come loaded with Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 835 processor, 64GB of onboard memory and 4GB of RAM. For those heavy memory users, getting 64GB straight out of the box will be a huge improvement over the S7 which started out at 32GB

Camera

Samsung will most likely pack the S8 with a 12 MP “Dual Pixel” rear camera and 8 MP front-facing camera. In addition, TechFirst is telling us that the rear camera will be able to take incredible slo-motion video while the front camera will have the ability to do facial recognition. 

Screen/Design

It’s coming in two sizes. Your standard 5.7 inch display and a “Plus” sized 6.2 inch display with a gorgeous Quad HD+ Super AMOLED Display.  Like other models we are seeing this year, Samsung is maximizing real estate on the front of the device with a bezel-less screen and by removing the physical Home button. Android Authority is reporting that the GS8’s screen will also have an 18.5:9 ratio which truly capitalizes on split screen activities.  Furthermore, BGR indicates that the phone will come with 3 screen resolution options (720p, 1080p and 4K).

Other Stuff

Samsung has found a way to make their phones IP68 dust and water resistant while keeping the 3.5mm headphone jack, which is good news for those of us who haven’t yet cut those headphone cords or still use an Aux cord to listen to music in their cars. The device will likely come with USB Type C out of the box with wireless charging capability.  There’s a rumor from Forbes that the new device will have an Iris scanner as well as the now standard fingerprint scanner, though Samsung may be moving the finger print scanner to the back of the device for easy one-handed operation.

Features

SammyS7.jpgThe phone will likely come with Android 7.1 Nougat and Samsung’s latest version of TouchWiz Gace UX. On the charging front, we expect it to come with wireless charging and could switch to a USB Type-C charging port. As Samsung announced earlier this month, the S8 will be the first Samsung device to feature their new personal assistant Bixby. The Verge did a write up, but suffice to say, Samsung is looking to a evolve the personal assistant into something more than just a task reminder or direction finder.

The phone is shaping up to be packed with some awesome hardware and incredible features. Samsung is set to unveil the S8 on 3/29 at 11 am EST.  Sprint will, of course, announce our unique offer shortly after.

6 Comments
Journeyman

I apologize for posting here. I know it's the wrong place, but that's part of what I'm posting about.

I have numerous customer service issues and I've tried using phone support, but I can't get through the maze of options to ask about any of my issues.

* How do I use online chat? There is never a Chat button.

* How do I post in this forum? I found a post that says click the "Start Topic" button to post. I cannot find any such button, and I've been roaming this site for 30 minutes.

* Does any part of the Sprint website not work in Edge on Windows 10? Because it seems that much of the website doesn't work, and I don't know if it's a platform issue or the Sprint website is that bad for everyone.

I want to post questions about not receiving some calls and text messages.

I want to post questions about the extraordinarily high data usage on my client's phone. e.g. in the 3 days this month, on my phone, I've used 252 KB for Android OS. On my client's phone, in those same 3 days, usage is 22.08  MB, which is 8900 percent more usage. Please don't make this into _why_ I want to know, and assume it's important to me, whether or not it is important to you.

** It is NOT feasible for me to go to a Sprint b&m store. I need to do this online or at worst, on phone support.

GrandMaster
technically you want to post about the issues you mentioned in this forum https://community.sprint.com/t5/Network-Coverage/bd-p/network as for the data consumption it can be looked into there as well but the agents will need to know what its showing on your clients phone as to what is using the data. did they download/update a ton of apps? watch a movie? ton of FB updates/posts?
Sprint Social Care

Hello stevven.

If you are looking for our Online Chat, Please visit: https://www.sprint.com/landings/chat/ You will find a chat for International, Order Support and our Sales department. For all other questions and concerns, we can help you here.

If you would like us to look into your issue, we would need to review the account. We sent you a Private Message, please reply to it at your earliest convenience.

Journeyman

Is there anyways that we can enable the video button on the phone screen prior to making a phone call? Now I just discovered that Sprint enabled Voice and Data on my S8, which is great. Before I switch to sprint, I used to have TMOBILE and I used to have the video button to make video calls from the phone menu on my S8 while I WAS at tMobile network.

How do we enable this on sprint?

Sprint Product Ambassador

@edusa2ooo It is my understanding that video calling is a Samsung feature which unfortunately is disabled on the Galaxy S8. However, there are several third party applications that will do video calling. I personally like Google Hangouts and Skype. 

GrandMaster

Google Duo is coming on most phones now as well. and can be used on any android device..so its not limited to only Samsung to Samsung.

About the Author
  • In addition to being a Sprint Employee and Product Ambassador, GeekGeoff is an unabashed Star Wars fan, Tech Junkie and Father to a precocious 9 year old. When he’s not writing blogs, he can be found playing video games, searching for the best donut shop or debating which Doctor is the best (for the record, it’s number 10).
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes