cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint and T-Mobile Announced Merger

Community Manager
21 Comments
Journeyman

Well I been with these guys since Nextel but i think it’s time to go I don’t want T-Mobile service !! SMDH

Community Manager

@SVH07  Stick around and kick the tires before you bail.  I can't say much and I may be saying too much now, but I have witnessed 5G and it's a very beautiful thing.  I can only imagine with the combined low band spectrums of 600 and 800Mhz, voice would be flawless.  Crazy in building penetration.  Then you have the high band spectrum of 1900 and 2500Mhz, data is covered.  

GrandMaster

some speeds have been spotted with a download speed of roughly 80mbps.

Community Manager

A couple of tweets.

GrandMaster

i'll have to find the post from in here..now that im thinking about it im pretty sure he was well above 100mbps down. which is going to be awesome.

Community Manager
GrandMaster

thats the one. 124mbps down..now thats nice.

Journeyman

I’m no tech guru, just a very satisfied Sprint customer who left T-Mobile very unsatisfied. I’m getting very anxious every time I see the news about the merger, although I am trying to stay open minded and positive about the 5G. I live in the Dallas area and I somebody came by recently saying they were with Sprint, working on upgrading service. I feel better after reading the posts, especially the guy who said to wait and “kick the tires” I will do just that, although it will be hard to pay the bill to the awful T-Mobile! 

GrandMaster

i can see both positive things as well as possible negatives..the positives are outweighing the negatives so far though in my view.

Community Manager

I wish I could say more, but I am only allowed to refer you to https://allfor5g.com/.  I still stand by my kick the tires comment.

Journeyman

How do we take advantage of the roaming agreement with T-Mobile? That was supposed to take effect immediately. I spoke to a sprint rep that continued to refer to the merger. From what I’ve read the roaming agreement is supposed to happen regardless of whether the merger is approved.

Community Manager

Correct, the roaming agreement does go into effect immediately.  There is nothing for you or customers to take advantage of per se. It more of a negotiation of what Sprint is charged for roaming on T-Mo's network. 

Journeyman

This is great news; especially in markets like mine, SE Michigan, where T-Mobile has a better network than Sprint.  Additionally I know that T-Mobile customers have had better luck taking advantage of free international roaming than I have with Sprint.

>Correct, the roaming agreement does go into effect immediately.  There is nothing for you or customers to take advantage of per se.

Hmm, I would have thought that phone firmware would be required at activate the other radios, provided the phone is equipped with them.

My fear is that one of the big reasons I stuck with Sprint is the ability to CDMA roam on Verizon will go away.  I travel to rural areas, and often find my phone

roaming.  I know that T-Mobile has even less rural coverage that Sprint; so if part of the merger is that Verizon, not to mention Rural Wireless Association, roaming agreements will no longer be in effect.

Oh well, my second choice after Sprint would have been Project Fi, which would have had the same roaming issues; plus it will be a moot point when 3G is shutdown, and the 5G build out is complete.

Matthew

Community Manager

"Hmm, I would have thought that phone firmware would be required at activate the other radios, provided the phone is equipped with them."

No firmware is needed. Keep in mind T-Mo hold the second highest amount of 1900 spectrum, behind Sprint. Of course you Sprint device already has a 1900 radio. 

Journeyman

Excellent, I guess we just need to update the PRL file?  My Moto Z2 Force is identical for both carriers, so I shouldn't have any problems!

Thanks!

Journeyman

I’m extremely excited about the merger. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what T-Mo brings to the table. The 5G experience has been a long time coming for sure. It was just a mater of time before 3G got chucked. Can’t wait!

Journeyman

Sprintsetup

Yeah was planning on sitting on the phone, at work of course, explaining what and why I wanted to do this (port out my #/stay with Sprint); so sounds like you're a sophisticated representative.  Quick question though; I want to stay month-to-month post-pay AND have a corporate discount through my employer, can you still execute this?

P.S. Time to nail down TMobilesetup FB account!

Community Manager

LOL @ Time to nail down TMobilesetup.  

Say buh bye to Sprintsetup

Journeyman

Maybe we can say bye bye to sprint's website too. I can never get anything to work on the site.

Community Manager

That's a tad off topic, but what problems are you having with the Sprint website?

Journeyman

@baldly2762 I met two young Irish guys that I think developed the Community website at a Cub's game last year. Good guys!

About the Author
  • In addition to being a Sprint Employee and Product Ambassador, GeekGeoff is an unabashed Star Wars fan, Tech Junkie and Father to a precocious 9 year old. When he’s not writing blogs, he can be found playing video games, searching for the best donut shop or debating which Doctor is the best (for the record, it’s number 10).
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes