cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's Emergency Response Team: Storm Chasing to keep YOU connected

Community Manager

Update: October 10, 2018 -- Sprint announced support today for customers impacted by Hurricane Michael and resulting flooding in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi. Sprint customers impacted by Hurricane Michael with usage between Oct. 10, 2018 and Oct. 14, 2018 will have call, text, and data overage fees waived for the full billing period. Customers on Unlimited plans will continue to enjoy their unlimited data, call, and text benefits.

Our Network Operations Center is always on duty, monitoring the state of the Sprint network while they keep a close eye on the weather. Before a big storm can even hit, our Emergency Response Team is already on the ground, preparing. These folks are seriously awesome and boy, do they bring the power!  I watched and cheered them on from afar during last year's storm season but this year, I'm following along....still from afar.  I just work on the internet, these guys go TO the storm just to help!

20180912_181721.jpgSprint ERT member loads equipment into a SATCOLT prior to deploymentThis is a SatCOLT:  satellite cell site on light truck. The dishes are used to connect the sites back to the Sprint network and are used for cellular backhaul as well as internet services.  The Wi-Fi access points allow us to deploy a bubble of coverage from an open field where first responders are staging to indoor locations such as Emergency Operation Centers.

Inside these trucks are a ton of devices including cell phones, Push-to-Talk handsets, air cards, hotspots, small cell equipment, Sprint Magic Boxes, and other specialized gear. The Emergency Response Team brings all of these supplies into the area, ready to assist first responders and public safety officials, government agencies with voice and data services before, during and after Hurricane Florence.

For more information about Sprint's preparation for and response to Hurricane Michael, please visit the Sprint Newsroom

Questions about ERT?  Post them in the comments!  Sprint account or billing questions?  Head on over to our Problem Solvers area

1 Comment
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

I'm happy to hear that you are safe. We are working to get everything restored. You can always check out the Sprint Newsroom so latest updates. 

About the Author
  • Sprint employee since 1998. One of the founding Sprint Community managers in 2004. Customer advocates. Online gamer, terrible blogger and owner at "SociAlleyAcceptable". Social Strategy is my passion. If you have suggestions or questions about Community please create a post on the Community Feedback board and I’ll review it and get back to you!
  • SeaWolf makes port here on Sprint's Community after running a somewhat popular blog, a mildly successful Twitter account and serving as the most-hated fandom Message Board Manager EVAR. Current Phone: Samsung S8 Areas of Expertise: Care topics and corny jokes