Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's Response to COVID-19/Coronavirus - FAQs updated regularly

Community Manager

Update 3.23.20:  

Effective this evening and until further notice, Community will become Read-Only.  The change is temporary and a result of reduced staffing resources across the company. We are maximizing our staff in our chat, SMS, and voice lines and as a result, do not have a team available to respond to customer posts here on Community.

@Em_Will_I_Am and I are heartbroken as we know that our Community is one of the most valuable tools and resources available to our Sprint customers.  We look forward to the day we can reopen with a full staff and appreciate your understanding.  We will post an announcement here when we are ready to reopen. 

Admin note: The introductory FAQs in this article are also posted Sprint.com. We expect that both this post and that page will be updated over time as new information is received and new questions answered.

********************************************************************************************************************

Q: Is Sprint doing anything to respond to the Coronavirus situation?

A: Sprint is giving most Unlimited data customers an extra 20GB Mobile Hotspot each month to use as needed for a minimum of two billing cycles (through 5/31/20).

Q: I am not on an Unlimited data plan, is Sprint doing anything for metered plan customers?

A: Yes, Sprint consumer customers on select metered data plans, unlimited data to use through 5/31/20.

Q: Is Sprint offering any assistance for customers that need to call internationally during this time?

A Yes, Sprint is waiving the per-minute long-distance calling rates to countries identified by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as Level 3.

Q: How do I know if I am getting Unlimited data or Mobile Hotspot data?

A:  You can login to your account at sprint.com or through the mysprint app and check the data usage to see what your current data allowances are. Once updated, you will see the new data limits for you to use. Look for an email from us later this week with additional details.

Q: Are Mobile Broadband plans impacted?

A: No, the additional data is for phone plans only, however, customers can use the Mobile Hotspot feature on their device to connect devices to the internet.

Q: I’ve never used Mobile Hotspot, what is it and how do I set it up?

A: Mobile Hotspot allows you to connect WiFi enabled devices to the internet by using your phone’s data connection. It’s easy to set up and on most phones, just requires a quick settings change. I can send you an email with the steps, or you can visit www.sprint.com and search “mobile hotspot”.

Q: Is there a catch? I’m afraid of surprise charges.

A:  There’s no catch. You’ll get Unlimited data or 20GB additional Mobile Hotspot for a minimum of two bill cycles to use as you need.

Q: Is this available for new lines as well?

A:  Yes, if you add a line to your current plan, it will get the same data features and allowances as your other lines.

Q: Do metered data customers get unlimited mobile hotspot data?

A: Metered data customers can use mobile hotspot with a capable device and the data draws from the plan’s high-speed data allowance.

Q: Do I get unlimited data roaming off the Sprint network?

A: No, the additional data and Mobile Hotspot is for usage while on the Sprint network. When you use your devices in roaming areas, there are plan limits that include:

• Data: 100MB or a majority of kilobytes.
  • Voice: 800 minutes or a majority of minutes

If your roaming allowance is exceeded, we’ll suspend data roaming ability but not your usage on the Sprint network. Go to sprint.com/roaming to learn more.

*Added 3/16/2020 11:24 AM CT*

Q: How do I set up Mobile Hotspot?

A: Note: The option with the Mobile Hotspot varies by device Manufacturer.

• Apple: Settings > Personal Hotspot
  • Samsung: Settings > Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering > Mobile Hotspot
  • LG: Settings > Network & internet > Tethering > Wi-Fi Hotspot
  • Google: Settings > Network & internet > Hotspot & Tethering > Wi-Fi Hotspot
  • HTC: Settings > More > Hotspot & Tethering > Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
  • OnePlus: Settings > Wi-Fi and Internet > Hotspot & Tethering > Wi-Fi Hotspot

Q: How do I set up Wi-Fi Calling?

A: Note: The option with Wi-Fi Calling varies by device Manufacturer.

• Apple: Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling > Wi-Fi Calling on this iPhone
  • Google: Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > Advanced > Wi-Fi Calling.
  • HTC: Settings > Wi-Fi Calling
  • LG: Settings > Network & internet > Voice networks > Wi-Fi Calling
  • OnePlus: Settings > Wi-Fi and Internet > Wi-Fi Calling
  • Samsung: Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi Calling

Q: What is the best way to keep my handset clean?

A: Sprint Devices are considered a high-touch surface. Review the CDC’s recommendations for cleaning “high-touch” surfaces.

Q:  Will Sprint Stores remain open?

A:  Sprint currently advises using other avenues for support either through the MySprint App, Sprint.com first to help increase Social Distancing. As the situation remains fluid, hours of operation may vary.  Please click "Store Locator" link for most up to date store hours and closings.

Q: How are Sprint stores ensuring safe and sanitary practices?

A: Employee and customer safety is our top concern.  Stores will regularly wipe down surfaces commonly touched by employees and customers – door handles, counter-tops, demo devices etc.  Employees will continue to follow CDC Hygiene Guidelines.

*Added 3/18/20*

Q: What should I do if I can't pay my bill?

A: As of 3/18/20 you'll need to reach out to us via chat, IVR or in Social.  When you speak to an agent, let them know that you're affected and they'll work with you on the best options. That agent can also ensure that you're not shut off for non-payment.

*Added 3/21/20*

Q: What is Boost Mobile doing to help customers affected by COVID-19?

A: Boost Mobile is also taking steps to help customers affected by the virus and it's impact on communities. Please visit the Boost Mobile COVID-19 Page for more information

Q: I saw on the internet that you are giving some things away that don't show up on the COVID-19 landing page. Which should I believe?

A: Unfortunately, scammers are attempting to take advantage of this situation and may advertise free services in an attempt to gain your login credentials or credit card information.  Your best resource to stay up to date is the Sprint.com/COVID19 page. Remember, Sprint will never send you an email with a login/password link. 

Q: What does making Community Read-Only mean?

A: You'll still be able to view all of our content including Blog posts, Knowledge Base articles and Discussion posts but you will not have the ability to respond to existing content, create new or send private messages. 

********************************************************************************************************

Save time and skip the hold: utilize one of our Self-Service options to manage your account.  Self-Service is available free-of-charge, 24x7 

• The My Sprint Mobile is full of useful features: make payments and payment arrangements, review and update your plan, even upgrade your phone right from your device! 
  • Sprint.com desktop versions also allows you to manage your account any time you like, no need to call or chat.

If you need assistance from a Customer Care agent please Chat with us

******************************************************************************************************************

13 Comments
Journeyman

I've heard that sprint will keep accounts connected even if they are not able to pay due to coronavirus. Do I need to find a way to pay my bill? Or can we use this money to prep? 

Community Manager

We're working with our customers to help keep them connected, @Nathanm97.  If you can't pay anything right now or for a few days, my suggestion is that you head over to the forum and talk to an agent (or chat) so that they can look at all the options. While we won't disconnect customers for non-payment, service fees and other charges are still being accrued.

I know we all have to be very careful with funds right now but I'd hate to see a customer run into a situation where the bill gets beyond anything they could possibly pay. 

Journeyman

Hi!

I am a special education paraprofessional at a public high school. While schools are closed I can work from home by completing online trainings. The problem is I do not have wifi at my apartment and my sprint plan is a limited data plan. The school district I work for has only enough hot spots for the students and I don't qualify for free wifi from companies offering this to families with students- I don't have children of my own.

Is there anything Sprint is willing to do to help in a situation like this? I'd be so grateful for assistance.

Community Manager

hi @djb29 I know we are all scrambling to make sure our kids keep learning, no matter what it takes.

Not sure you saw but we're giving customers unlimited data for the next 60 days, even if they're on a metered data plan. We're also adding a 20GB hot spot to every line. 

Additionally, we have the 1Million Project that provides data connected to devices to school children. There's some information on the linked page about resources for students in need. 

Journeyman

Thank you, seawolf.

I didn't think the limited data plans were getting hot spot capability. The information I found via my sprint app made it sound like it was only plans that are originally unlimited data were getting the 20 gb hotspot and limited plans would become unlimited data but without the 20gb hot spot.

So, I guess I misunderstood what I read.

Is this all going into effect tomorrow Thursday 3/19? That was the date I last saw.

Thank you so much for your time and explanation. I appreciate the clarification.

Community Manager

Just to be sure, I went back and checked for ya, @djb29 

Effective today:

• Sprint will provide a 20GB hotspot for any active handset that is capable and doesn't have a hotspot today.  If you DO have hotspot on your plan already, Sprint is providing an additional 20GB to that line.
  • Students with device courtesy of the 1Million project will get and additional 10GB of data a month on top of what they're receiving now.

The previous effective date was Thursday, 3/19 but we started adding those to accounts as of today.  It may take a few days to complete (that's a lot of accounts to touch). 

Really good questions, I'm happy to answer.

Journeyman

This is fabulous. Thank you to Sprint. And thank you for your help! Stay healthy.

Journeyman

Do you know when the free 20gb hotspot will be added to everyone’s account? I checked and I still don't have that added. I start working from home Monday, with no internet or wifi available.  With my husband not working right now and we are currently clorintined in our home. I Don't have anyway to connect to my job. 

Journeyman

I have mobile broadband and I am out of data. Is Sprint helping with WiFi data?

Community Manager

Hey folks, we started the process of adding a 20GB hotspot to every capable line on the 18th.  It can take a few days for the script to run through millions of subscribers but if you don't have it today you should soon.

@Daylilly1 if you already have a standalone mobile broadand hotspot with us, we're giving you an additional 20GB on that device's plan .  We're also adding a 20GB hotspot to any capable device, so if you have a phone with us, when you run out of data on your mobile hotspot device, you can use your phone as a WiFi hotspot instead. 

@Lstump1 if you still don't see it by, say tomorrow, you might check with an agent here on the forums.  You can start a thread or participate in one that already exists. I'd probably go visit our Services > Basic Services space to see if there's a thread already started. 

Directions for setting up that hotspot vary by manufacturer but there are links in my blog article you can follow for directions to get it set up.

Journeyman

@Daylilly1  thank you

Journeyman

I have not received any additional hotspot to my account. 

Community Manager

I believe that HotSpot feature should have been added to your eligible line(s) by now Mike. If you've looked at your lines either with the My Sprint Mobile app or through Sprint.com and aren't seeing it as a feature, you might want to chat in and check with someone.  

A note about chat, customer care phone calls, and social (which includes the folks who work community): our staffing has been drastically reduced as the folks who work in our support centers have been quarantined or ordered to shelter-in-place.  We're asking everyone to be patient and understand that you may have to wait a while in order to get through to a human.