cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Upgrade Cost

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone Upgrade Cost

I've been with Sprint for 14 years. Each year I agreed to a 2 Year Contract commitment, and in return I received a "free" phone. Life was good. We started out with various flip phones, then moved to the iPhone 4, then 5C.  

Now... There is no Free Upgrade. The TV ads and e-mail offers are BS and misleading! I am certainly willing to commit another two years but this time Sprint wants to Charge a $25 mo phone Subsidy! That's $600 for a free phone!

Alternatively, these Lease offers are a rip off. They are locking you into a monthly commitment totaling $500+ over two years and this monthly phone payment will never end as long as you want an occasional upgrade. RIP OFF! What makes things worse is every single customer service rep I try to speak with doesn't speak English....so frustrated!!

34 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Phone Upgrade Cost

Sprintveteran14,  I am in the same boat.  Been a loyal customer to Sprint for almost 23 years.  Main reason I have stayed with them is my granfathered plan and my upgrade every 2 years.  I called Monday to see about my upgrade, was told I could use the online website to upgrade on Tuesday with the ability to renew my 2 year contract, and was told as long as I never change my plan I would always be able to.  Well it's now Thursday and haven't been able to complete the upgrade and was told today that it;'s no longer an option as of Sunday.  Customer service has been crap, and I told them today I will be looking to move elsewhere, cause there is no reason to stay with Sprint.  Not thinking an additional cost on top of already high phone bils is something I want to do.  Did they ever help you?

Journeyman

JJAKATW1, 

Yes. Ina at Sprint responded to my post via private message and we discussed the situation. She was extremely helpful and came up with a plan to move forward. She called me, we discussed the details and plan to touch base on my next monthly billing cycle to change plans and upgrade our phones.

Basically we are switching to a different share pack plan that doesn't require a subsidized phone. In return for a two year commitment, I can purchase a new phone at a discount (99.99 iPhone 6S) and not pay any monthly phone subsidy.

I had no luck at all calling customer service. Two different people promised to call me back with solutions and nobody ever did. Ina was extremely helpful in helping me find a solution.

that being said, I won't be changing anything until the end of my current bill cycle. I will post the final outcome once my plan is changed, I have new phones, and receive my next bill with charges as promised.

I highly recommend posting your issue here in a new thread  and hopefully Ina responds to your concerns.

Journeyman

Thank you. I did post a new thread so I hope so too. I am so frustrated. Guess we will see
Social Care

Hey JJAKATW1! Thank you so much for reaching out to us. Let's take a closer look into your issue. Please check your inbox and reply to the private message that I sent you.

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Lookit, I have been a sprint customer for close to 20 years, and now they tell me I cannot get a new phone for a 2 year contract, even though I am in a grandfathered plan!  we have 3 phone lines and pay monthly always on time in full, and this is the way we are being treated? I am going to have to consider going to another company.  I am not going to pay full price or monthly extra costs to my budget fees just to get a newer phone, Sprint What is going on??? why are you doing this? I did NOT ask to be changed, you should leave us as we were when we have been loyal customers all these years!  I am so angry about this.

Journeyman

Good luck. They basically told me today it's just the way it is because the industry changed. I too am angry and feel like they could care less.
Social Care

jobean9 & JJAKATW1, we have amazing deals for all of our customers. We can take a look at your account and discuss your options. In order to do so, please reply to the private message I sent you for additional support.

You can also learn more at sprint.com/upgrades.

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Journeyman

So has Sprint taken away the two year upgrade now entirely for it's remaining customers on the 1500 plan?

Dear Lord, this is what it sounds like from you all.   We upgraded 2 of the phones on the plan in December and it was a real hassle.   So has Sprint now fully pulled the plug on this?   I just can't deal with this company any longer.   We've been with Sprint for 18 years and they made the last upgrade so hard.

Journeyman

Yep no more upgrades the way we use to get. You have to pay a monthly fee either to buy or lease. On top of your other charges for the plan. 😢