cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My newest project : curing your own bacon

Journeyman

As I got older, my passions changed. Before it used to be playing video games and listening to music, now its cooking and trying new techniques.

So I decided to try curing my own bacon and as a first attempt I must say that its not that bad.

So what do you need?

Pork belly, Kosher Salt, and Brown sugar, black pepper.     Thats it!

I got the pork belly from my local Asian Market, which only costed $1.49 a pound

I used pink salt which has nitrates in it, but I will not use this in my next batch.

I got 4 pounds of pork belly, 1/4 cup of salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 tbps of pepper.

Cut the pork belly into two equal parts and rub your curing mixture on to your meat, place the meat into 1 gallon bags and place in fridge.

flip the bag every other day for 7 days.

Next, take the belly out and wash it completely and then place it on a rack and place in the fridge for another day to dry out (this create a pellicle, which allows the smoke to adhere to the meat)

Smoke the meat for 2 hours in a 200 degree smoker using fruit wood (I used Apple).

While the meat is warm, you can slice the skin off (which can be used in soups for flavor)

Let the meat cool down before you slice it to cook.

Done!

This is after the curing process                                   This is after the curing process                                        The finished product

1.bmp 2.bmp 3.bmp

Do this at your house, and you will produce something that is superior to anything you can buy in the store.