cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation

Journeyman

I have not gotten the notice yet myself, but others report that their bill announces an administrative fee increase from the current $0.99 per line per month to a new $1.50 per line per month, effective September 9.  Just as importantly, many new material changes are being made to the Terms and Conditions, effective September 9.  According to those very Terms and Conditions, you should be able to cancel service without ETF (within 30 days of September 9) if you disagree with all these changes.

Getting Sprint to obey their own Terms and Conditions, though, can be like pulling teeth.

Contrary to rumor, the Terms and Conditions say nothing about a "$1.99 administrative fee cap."  Both old and new T&Cs are here:  http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml

Journeyman

Re: Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation

UPDATE: I called tonight to cancel rather than hold my breath for an answer from Sprint.

So, anyway... the retentions rep I spoke with tonight told me that the Administrative Charge Increase that will be made on September 9th DOES ALLOW cancellation with no ETF.  You would need to call in on September 9th or within 30 days after and state that is the reason you are canceling. What she said was basically what levi4u posted on the thread that was locked.

Wizard

Blows my mind how many people are whinning over $2.50 a month IF you have all 5 lines in play. REALLY is everyone here that petty that they will cancel their contract and move to another carrier and pay MORE a month anyway and WAY MORE then the $2.50.

What did you think you could sign of for Sprint OR any other carrier and NEVER see a rate increase EVER. What a pipe dream world some live in. Prices go up all the time for EVERYTHING and if a fact of life so welcome to reality.

Also before I am accused of working for Sprint or being paid by them I'd like to let everyone know I am not paid by or work for Sprint I just have COMMON SENSE on how this work in the real world.

I know 95% are empty threats to leave as they always are and just so you know. Sprint knows they are empty threats as well and laugh at you just like we on the forum do when you make them.

Journeyman

To ALynch40...

Let's review Law 101:

A contract is an agreement between two parties.  Neither party can unilaterally change the terms of the contract.  Any attempt to do so gives the other party the right to withdraw from the contract if he disagrees with the new terms.

No, prices within contracts do not "go up all the time."  They cannot do so at all unless the other party consents to continue.

Perhaps you are actually voicing the very common opinion that the entire industry practice of tying cell phones to contracts is anti-competitive lunacy and ought to be banned by the FCC.  There I will agree with you.

Journeyman

the increase is the final straw to my myriad of problems with Sprint. I certainly would not leave Sprint just over the increase but I was lied to and also have service issues. I think there are many people who where mislead by Sprint during the "Premier" change and why should they have to pay an ETF on account of Sprint's bait and switch. For those customers using this increase as a loophole to get out of contract with no ETF, good... why should Sprint be the only one able to play dirty?

I called to cancel and the suggestions made by the retentions rep trying to get me to stay made for some good late night comedy. Sprint and I both get to laugh at each other, I am still waiting with baited breath for the call from a supervisor I am never going to recive

Journeyman

I have no problem with sprint raising fees.  However, I hate the fact that they try and hide it by posting a note in the margin of the bill.  Sadly, many people just don't know they are doing this and that is just unfair.  I want to know what merits an increase in a fee.  What did yall improve to merit this fee?  I can tell  you it certianly wasn't your customer service.  If they explained it to me and called to make sure I as a valued employee understood it and told me my options then i'd gladly pay it and stay with them till they tried to [...] me over again

EDIT: I meant sprint CUSTOMER not employee.

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed language

Journeyman

Your version of providing notice requires you to view a copy of your newest bill.  Keep in mind some people just pay the cost every month assuming nothing has been changed.  After all who's going to notice a $.50 change?  They have a month to choose whether or not to cancel the contract with paying and ETF.  This is possible because of the old terms and conditions stating

When You Don't Have To Pay An Early Termination Fee

You aren't responsible for paying an Early Termination Fee when  terminating Services: (a) provided on a month-to-month basis; (b)  consistent with our published trial period return policy; or (c) in  response to a materially adverse change we make to the Agreement as  described directly below.

Our Right To Change The Agreement & Your Related Rights

We may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not  limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, or your terms of  Service. We will provide you notice of material changes—and may provide  you notice of non-material changes—in a manner consistent with this  Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement"  section).

If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a  material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may  terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an  Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the  effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you  wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement  that we have made.

If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of  the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate  Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment.

Obviously they increased the administrative fees thinking it was no big deal without informing anyone of this thinking people would just pay the bill.  When your bill is past due Sprint makes sure to take the time to send a free text message reminding you to pay or services may be interrupted.  Thats nice of you.  But how about posting the changes where people don't have to search for them.  Like on the Home page in bold?  Hell make a popup or something send out emails anything to inform people they have options and are not required to pay a voluntary surcharge or administrative fee of up to $1.99  They could tell them in advance and offer discounts post changes in store fronts inform employees anything.  But unfortunately when I went to my sprint store to ask the manager about this, he had no idea what I was talking about and I got the run around.  Same story for calling customer servicd then asking to speak to the supervisor.  Finally after a third attempt I got someone the works for sprint to inform me that if terms and conditions are changed, you have to call within 30 days to cancel contract if you dont' agree.  Instead they either had no clue or were told not to tell people about it.  I put up with 8 years of sprint back when it was nextel and loved the service.  But the plans keep changing and you have to search for answers.  Sprint tried to make a couple extra dollars off of people not knowing doing this, especially after so many people just got new contracts with EVO 3D,  would cause them to lose a lot of money.  But they deserve it for how they tried to hide it. 

Journeyman

exactly! With them for 8 years 3 people on the plan just wanted to know what the increase was for and not just because they could get away with it.  Oh well they'll get screwed again. 

Journeyman

I will be gone.  When pricing out att with the usage my family has, it is the same price.  Sprint has pulled the last straw. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I may have a idea to get sprint to stop hiding there fees and such, everyone file a complaint with the State AG office, bomb barding them with this info and see what happens. After my dat today with Victor of Retentions trying to explain this to him, was a nitemare.

And to the person that said 95% just say they are leaving, well i am. I have not started paying the 10 Bucks per smartphone fee yet because we havent upgraded phones. I presently have the family plan,1500 min, 129 plus tax. When i upgrade bill goes up 20 then your in the range of ATT and Verizon and they dont charge the 10 4g fee...oops, i mean smart phone fee. Compare the the phone line ups of the other carriers compared to Sprint. And you are right a contract is a contract, they can not just raise fees when they want to...

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.