cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone successfully used the recent tax/surcharge changes to get out of contract?

22 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Anyone successfully used the recent tax/surcharge changes to get out of contract?

Certainly interesting enough. Left an email to Sprint inquiry particularly giving links to specifically what was said to justify cancelling an account in the condition of an ETF waiving.

Come across a couple of reasons as why to switch to another carrier (prices for individual plans being one) and this raise in price of a debatable "tax" certainly raises my eyebrow on the legitimacy of the contract.

Journeyman

Re: Anyone successfully used the recent tax/surcharge changes to get out of contract?

If you feel like taking the time taking them to small claims is your best bet for getting the money back.

Journeyman

Goodbye and good riddance, Sprint!

I'm done with you....finally.  I wonder if you will BLACKLIST the phones that I had on my account, that I purchased for cash and you did not own.

Hmmmmm...I bet they will.

Journeyman

You've summed it up quite nicely.  The notice is vague.  Are "taxes" assessed on insurance and premium content charges the only ones potentially affected?. The notice, as crafted, indicates other unspecified charges could also be affected. 

Journeyman

The "optional" argument is bogus. Making international calls is optional. Going over on minutes is optional. Those rates are also part of the contract. I can also list any number of other optional things that I use my cell phone for. By DePaul's logic, Sprint could charge me for choosing to play Angry Birds on my phone. It's optional right? Also, Sprint is not increasing their rates on insurance and premium content. They are increasing their surcharges. Surcharges say nothing about either of those things. Paying surcharges is not optional so Sprint's change to how they calculate rates is completely unavoidable. Also, the change is not limited to insurance and premium content. If surcharges change, then Sprint is charging its customers a surcharge. They cannot claim that the charge is for insurance if the charge doesn't show up under insurance. Also, surcharges are optional. Sprint chooses to add them to the rates and it makes no difference why they change the rates or what they do with the money.

Sprint changed the way they calculate surcharges.

Sprint changed the meaning of their contract by changing their rates since the way they calculate rates is part of the 2 year agreement.

Therefore the change is material.

Journeyman

I'm not sure what you are reading but it couldn't be more clear that this is a material change and at no point did I say differently. We both agreed to a contract and Sprint is changing that contract. That is exactly what a material change is. Lets just pretend for a moment that isn't true though. Please remove the premium data from my account and the fee associated with that. Premium data, or 4G, is an optional service and if I am allowed to remove optional services I would like it removed.

I've actually never had another cell phone company. I've used Sprint since the very first cell phone I ever had when I switched from a pager! I'm guessing that was in the mid to late 90's. There is literally 0 chance I will be staying with Sprint past the current contract though. The only thing Sprint had going was being cheaper but T-Mobile has you beat on price now.

Wizard

j.n.r,

Thanks for your Community post. I apologize for any inconveniences this issues is causing you. We definitely do not want to lose your business as we enjoy providing you with mobile service. Based on the issues presented above, the early termination fee non-waivable event. As you mentioned this is a non-material change and the additional fees are based upon elected service. To avoid the additional cost associated with premium content minimizing these sorts of purchases will definitely avoid the fees altogether. I understand this may not be the outcome that you are seeking however, I hope you find it comforting that these fees are avoidable.

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I'm blown away that Sprint is completely ignoring their contract. It's very simple, we both agreed to a contract. Part of that contract included the cost of premium content. Sprint is changing the way that surcharges are collected on premium content, Surcharges are not taxes. That is a material change.

It doesn't matter that the premium content is optional and that would be ridiculous if it did. They could say that anything beyond the most basic ability to make a phone call is optional and suddenly jack up the prices on anything they wanted. So here we are in the world where Sprint ignores it's own terms and conditions. I called multiple times and got all kinds of made up reasons why they are not following their own contract. In the end I filed a complaint with the BBB and the FCC. I don't actually hold much hope for this but it's worth a try. Next thing I could do is cancel with them then file in small claims to cover the ETF but I guess I was just hoping that reason would prevail and I could get this handled without taking it that far.

Journeyman

If you charged that ETF on a credit or debit card I'd dispute the charge

Journeyman

Hmm...  I just cancelled my service over the weekend and went with Verizon. Maybe I’ll try opening a case with the BBB to get back the $280 in ETF.  I broke even buy putting my Galaxy S 3 on eBay, but it sure would be nice to have some of that cash back!  Will definitely open a case with the FTC.  I still don’t understand how Sprint can get away with charging a monthly fee for a service that doesn’t work and when you call them up for support and ask what your options are, you get the “oh well” treatment.