cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier IQ removal/opt out

262 REPLIES
Journeyman

what really amazes me is they would rather go through all of this then just do what is right.  cockiness is a crazy thing.  @ 50 THOUSAND dollars Per violation and a record of me trying to get them to stop it they will be regretting this.

Journeyman

That is a biggie: I hadn't considered HIPAA and PHI going out via CIQ. You're right to drop this hot potato -- good luck with the court case (I doubt Sprint or CIQ has signed the proper HIPAA non-disclosures for you...<G>).

Journeyman

Today I have decided to cancel my sprint service and I have contacted my attorney.  I am writing this here to inform those of you who might have been taken advantage of by the CIQ and Sprint executive support team.  My contact was Justin.

Started about 2 months ago when CIQ story broke.  I had just bought an EVO 3d and a 2 year subscription.  I was a week past my 14 day return and was told that CIQ was not a threat and that GOOGLE supported its use by Justin.  He explained that they know about it and recommended Sprint use this service for customer advantage so they can work out bugs in the system.  One problem:  I already read the keynote speech that Google CEO gave about how dangerous CIQ is and the risk it warrents to its users.  I called back and when he saw the video he agreed to upgrade me to the Nexus S 4g for a cost.  The reason this was an issue for me is I input data for remote patients who can't get into the doctors office themselves.  I setup appointsments and take initial check of the patient and then transmit it back via my sprint phone and an android app we created.

I explained to him that I shouldn't have to pay for an upgrade for something THEY NEVER TOLD ME WAS ON MY PHONE.  He agreed and when I explained there was a lawsuit against all carriers and the CIQ developers he agreed to give me one of two options:

1) Return my BRAND NEW evo 3d and they would buy it back which would take care of the cost of upgrading for me.

or

2) End my account with NO early termination fee even though my account was only a month old.

I accepted 1) as I didn't want to leave Sprint as a customer, but I am not going to be liable for 50k per violation due to HIPAA because of CIQ.  So I spent an hour driving to the local store because I live in the boonies, they acknowledge (WITH JUSTIN ON THE PHONE) that my upgrade would be taken care of free of charge and that I would actually get a 10 dollar CREDIT BACK on my bill because the evo 3d was worth MORE then the Nexus S 4g at the time.  3 weeks later I get my bill and its over 250 dollars when my normal bill is 98 a month.  Upon seeing this I called Justin back who was on Vacation and explained my situation.  He credited me 49 dollars for the Early upgrade ACTIVATION fee, but the not the 115 dollar early term FEE.

When I called him, he explained that they were only going to cover the cost of the phone, not the actual upgrade.  So when I explained that Sprint will remove CIQ from phones for free now thanks to my phone call he explained that was then, this is now and you are not elligble for that service because you already accepted the offer for me to pay for the upgrade with the trade in on your phone.  I explained I would not pay for something THEY agreed to pay for, more so now that they ACKNOWLEDGE they had no right to put CIQ on my phone in the first place he told me that was pretty much "not his problem" and when I explained that I would rather take the early term fee and go to court he said "fine" and canceled my account which will go dark today.  Why in the world would I trade in a 600 dollar PHONE to pay for a 200 dollar phone then pay 100 dollars for an early UPGRADE AND ON TOP OF IT get my contract extended 2 years?

So thank you sprint, I moved my number over from Verizon because of the unlimited data, but NO unlimited data plan is worth this.  See ya in court!

-MZ

Re: Carrier IQ removal/opt out

CRIMSONDRAGON93 wrote:

Add my voice to the list of people calling for the removal of this spy ware. I too will be joining any class action law suit that will be pressed against Sprint for this.

I do not think there will be any laws suits,carrier is not spyware and It has to be based on facts not what you think.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/sprint-says-it-has-disabled-carrier-iq-on-its-devices/

Journeyman

Add my voice to the list of people calling for the removal of this spy ware. I too will be joining any class action law suit that will be pressed against Sprint for this.

MeatMan69 wrote:

ColonolKlink wrote:

I dont believe the federal court will order any of the cell companies to remove the carrierIQ because they are probably using the compiled information.  It wouldnt surprise me if this "3rd party" is the federal gov't.  Besides, they monitor our calls, text's, computers, facebook, twitter, etc anyways. 

To me its not a big deal.  Everybody's information is out there.  It pretty much has been.  And will continue to be.  If you dont want that I guess you can always go offgrid and live off the forest or something.  Move to South America in a jungle somewhere.

I also don't think Sprint cares if you root your phone.  If you root it and your phone acts up, it just means they don't have to work on it for you. 

Chemjb1 wrote:

hasn't the fedral court ordered companies to remove this rootkit . Do you want to keep your customer or you would to push them to root their phones.

I just got my brand new Asus Transformer Prime and when I looked at the programs installed a message popped up asking if I wanted to delete Carrier IQ from my tablet. Uh, why yes, yes, I do and I did. HTC or Sprint (I don't care who as long as it's done) needs to role out an opt-out! Merely stating "we are no longer using it" means nothing if all my info is still being sent to Carrier IQ. . What they are doing with it only God knows.... The program now has no usefull purpose for being on my phone (if Sprint is to be believed). We need an update YESTERDAY!

Our private information is not being sent anywhere and if it was than fedral court would have done something about it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/sprint-says-it-has-disabled-carrier-iq-on-its-devices/

Wizard

ColonolKlink wrote:

I dont believe the federal court will order any of the cell companies to remove the carrierIQ because they are probably using the compiled information.  It wouldnt surprise me if this "3rd party" is the federal gov't.  Besides, they monitor our calls, text's, computers, facebook, twitter, etc anyways. 

To me its not a big deal.  Everybody's information is out there.  It pretty much has been.  And will continue to be.  If you dont want that I guess you can always go offgrid and live off the forest or something.  Move to South America in a jungle somewhere.

I also don't think Sprint cares if you root your phone.  If you root it and your phone acts up, it just means they don't have to work on it for you. 

Chemjb1 wrote:

hasn't the fedral court ordered companies to remove this rootkit . Do you want to keep your customer or you would to push them to root their phones.

I just got my brand new Asus Transformer Prime and when I looked at the programs installed a message popped up asking if I wanted to delete Carrier IQ from my tablet. Uh, why yes, yes, I do and I did. HTC or Sprint (I don't care who as long as it's done) needs to role out an opt-out! Merely stating "we are no longer using it" means nothing if all my info is still being sent to Carrier IQ. . What they are doing with it only God knows.... The program now has no usefull purpose for being on my phone (if Sprint is to be believed). We need an update YESTERDAY!

Journeyman

Chemjb1 wrote:

Journeyman

Journeyman

Agreed rp518dan.

I actually like my phone again now that I have rooted and rommed and removed all the bloatware. I can do the silly things now like run the security screen lock and still have some battery left at the end of the day. And yeah, GPS is back.

And yes, red, it voids the warranty, but I would rather have a usable phone and unroot if necessary than continue on with an expensive paperweight. And yes, I shouldn't have to make that choice.