cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier IQ removal/opt out

Journeyman

Dear Sprint,

How can I remove or opt out of the third party software that was preloaded on my telephone that seems to be violating the Wiretap Act under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 that forbids acquiring the contents of communications without the users’ consent?

It seems there is no way for me to stop it or opt out of it collecting my data and reporting it to a third party.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.... right?

Thanks in advance for your response.

262 REPLIES
Journeyman

I too am adding myself to this list of concerned inquiry. As I understand, this information gathering does violate my rights with no opt out option for the EULA or an opt out for the actual collection of my usage information via the app without first voiding the warranty. I will be signing the class action when it comes. And am currently sharing this knowledge with everyone I know.

Journeyman

Add me to the list. I am going to be researching this over the next few days, but as I understand it, this app is in violation of my rights, regardless of its proported techinical value. Cough up a solution pronto or face a class-action lawsuit.

Wizard

I agree, this should be illegal, if it already isn't...

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/371990#371990

Journeyman

I have contacted an attorney to begin a class action lawsuit for violation of Federal Wiretapping Laws and for Invasion of Privacy. This program has been proven to collect keystrokes illegally, with no opt out clause, and no advanced consent from Sprint, Android, or Carrier IQ. Previous programs on desktop computers were found in the late 90's to early 2000's and were brought to court and found liable.

Once I get the District Court Number, Case Number, and attorney contact details for the class action lawsuit, I will also post here (that is if Sprint doesnt ban me for this).

Also, there is another Class Action Lawsuit brewing for Sprint's promise of 4G speeds where they only provide 3G. I have joined that case as well, if you are interested and it applies to you, search Google for it.

Journeyman

Hope to be able to keep up with this connection.  I've been a sprint customer for the last 10 years plus.  The amount of data that this third party has had access to is beyond belief.  That sprint allowed this is unconscionable and unforgivable. Looking forward to how this shapes up. 

Journeyman

Tut tut guys.... Bad enough I can't get rid of crap like that NASCAR app tying up my memory, but this is (literally) criminal.  I'll be watching carefully to see what you do to rectify this situation.

CBizz wrote:

Tut tut guys.... Bad enough I can't get rid of **** like that NASCAR app tying up my memory, but this is (literally) criminal.  I'll be watching carefully to see what you do to rectify this situation.

Nascar app takes less then 1 megabyte of data so if you could remove that application it would not free up alot of space.

Journeyman

Re: Carrier IQ removal/opt out

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/11/30/phone-rootkit-carrier-iq-may-have-violated-wire...

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/carrieriq-censor-research-baseless-legal-threat

http://www.infectedrom.com/

Sprint answering on this forumn is insufficient.

Send a US postal service letter to EVERY subscriber stating that in NO way were customer passwords for ANY site visited EVER exposed

/stored/analyzed in an encrypted or clear text form and that in NO way were web sites visited collated/sold/stored/anaylyzed.

The letter must also state clearly that at no time did/does the software KEYSTROKE log.

SPRINT must REMOVE this snooping software IMMEDIATELY in a NEW release of the code for all its phones carrying it.

An OPT OUT is *NOT* good enough, why should I or anyone else trust the opt out means anything?

I have to change ALL my passwords for banks, etrade, airlines etc. because of your CRASS stupidity.

WHO made the decision to install the software? Sprint Corporate or some US government agency directive to Sprint. Soepenas are ugly things.

REMEMBER> If you shred documents or delete emails pertaining to this snooping software

you will not only be judged by YOUR CUSTOMERS but more than likely by U.S. courts.

Journeyman

Re: Carrier IQ removal/opt out

I was reading about this on CNN Money and I am SO OUTRAGED by this unlawful act. Sprint, I demand why this app was needed and why did you allow to break the law of privacy.......I did not buy an expensive phone so that I can be traced or spyed on!!!!!

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.