Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discount policy change notice

SOLVED
22 REPLIES
Journeyman

I just got off the phone with sprint and will be able to cancel my service with no ETF when this change goes in effect next month. This was the final straw. I have been a customer for over 8 years.

Journeyman

I'm glad I came across this thread.  I literally just added a new line on December 24th.  I knew it'd be $19.99 + $10 (data premium) a month and i figured it'd maybe be $1-3 for increase surcharge/gov't taxes...nope. The surcharge and gov't taxes/fees went up a total of $6.24 for adding 1 more line. That is ridiculous.

I also looked at my bill and instead of $129.99 - 19.50 they did $130.00 - 19.50.  It's a penny, but it's a big deal given all the charges they add to anything and everything.  1 million customers being charged a penny extra is one million bucks. I'm sure I could call in and get it fixed but that isn't the point.  Sprint is trying to charge extra without people realizing and if they get caught they might say "we're sorry for the inconvience, we'll fix it."  But for all the millions who don't realize these things it's basically theft.

I also have a 15% discount so if i'm discounted less than what I initially signed up for that is going be my last straw most likely and I will not be paying the ETF. The bill is due February 11 and I'll definately be giving Sprint a call and likely cancelling. 

Journeyman

Re: Discount policy change notice

Me, too. I'm moving all 4 lines to US Cellular. Yes, the bill will be a little more, but we'll get much better reliability. When I left Verizon for Sprint, I truly believed it would be for the better. The first year wasn't too bad. However, this past year they have made too many changes to benefit their bottom line at the expense of their customers. That's on top of the horrible condition their data network is in. This latest change is the last straw for me!

Journeyman

I just spoke with a supervisor @ Sprint and confirmed what they will be doing is lowering the 'Shared' plan by $19.99 and then charging for the now non-existant 'Free' 2nd line. 

My plan example is this: Current cost of plan = $69.99, includes line 1-2 with a discount of $6.30/mth.

NEW cost of plan: $50 for 1st line, $19.99 for 2nd line with a discount of only $4.30. 

While this may not be a huge plan change, it IS a plan change.  Because of this, Stevespa is correct. They cannot charge the ETF for either lines.  The supervisor I spoke to confirmed they WILL be changing the contract as of Feburary 1st by making this change.  He also confirmed I will not be charged the $350 fee when I call on Feb 1st to cancel my contract.  He stated as long as it's within 30days of this change, per the contract we cannot be charged that amount.

Hope this helps!  I for one am super excited cause now I don't have to wait till September to cancel.  Since I'm on this low plan and don't have data, I cannot upgrade my phone without being charged DOUBLE my monthly rate. So much for the past 10yrs longevity and glad my loyalty to Sprint ment so much to them. Wonder how long they'll continue caterting to the 80% of the population that want the Smart phones at a stupid price. As one of the 20% they no longer care about, I will be finding a new cell phone service!

Journeyman

I for one will cancel my service and fight ETF. I don't need or want this change to my contract. I can not stop Sprint from making changes, but I can stop paying them! No more changes! With this change Sprint is trying to get almost $9 per month more than what I agreed to when I signed my contract. Over a standard 24 month contract that add $216 more.  Thats not counting the $10 per month they charge for unlimited 4G data.  The 4G data that I can never get a good enough signal to use.

When You Don’t Have To Pay An Early Termination Fee
You aren’t responsible for paying an Early Termination Fee when  terminating Services: (a) provided on a month-to-month basis; (b)  provided on a subscription basis that do not include a Term Commitment;  (c) consistent with our published trial period return policy; or (d) in  response to a materially adverse change we make to the Agreement as  described directly below.

Our Right To Change The Agreement & Your Related Rights

We may change any part of the Agreement at any time,  including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges,  discounts, coverage, technologies used to provide services, or your  terms of Service. We will provide you notice of material changes—and we  may provide you notice of non-material changes—in a manner consistent  with this Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The  Agreement" section). If a change we make to the Agreement is material  and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term  Commitment, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected  without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us  within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b)  specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a  material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do  not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination  Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any  applicable Term Commitment.

Journeyman

I guess we all just dream of a business world where we agree to a contract and that is the agreement until the contract ends... not having the business change their end of the deal... because we sure do not get the opportunity to change our end of the deal... wait we do, we just have to pay the company lots of money to be 'allowed' to do so.

So when I signed up for a plan that cost 129.99 for the first line and got a second line FREE... that is being changed on me with the line 'it is just a change in how we are billing'... what a bunch as BS! Sure, my primary line gets a discount, and it is the total cost of my plan because the second line I have is FREE. I don't care about how it worked on older plans, or newer plans, honor the freakin plan I signed up for.

Sprint... you are starting to suck more and more for consumers, just like all the big business phone companies. The thing is, none of you really offer anything better anymore than the prepaid phones without a contract. If I was buying stock, that's where I'd be getting it now.

Let me go check when I no longer have to put up with your company's contract...

Journeyman

No.  It means that instead of the discount being applied to $129 (2 lines), it will be applied to $109.  Depending on how much your discount is, it means you dont save a few bucks each month.  Overall I wouldnt see it as a big deal, although I do believe Sprint is penny pinching.  Just like with the $2 full statement charge.  I know Sprint will say that is because they are "green".  But I believe if Sprint was doing that because of being "green", they would give you a discount to be paperless billing instead of charging you if your not.

The problem in my situation is I had to renew both my lines for this discount and now only one line will get the discount.  I understand that it does not affect my upgrade elgibility. But when its time to upgrade (if I choose to), then I will be renewed into another 2 year contract at that time.  And in the mean time, I have a 16 month old phone with a new 2 year contract and a $350 ETF if I want to cancel.  And ofcourse no discount to that line.

JoJo......I appreciate you sending me the PM.  I overall feel Sprint has poor customer service but can see that you make an honest effort.  As for my situation though, I believe I am just going to cancel and fight the ETF in small claims.  My Uncle owns a credit repair company and knows what to do to put the charges on hold for the time being.  I intend to prove that Sprint changed the agreement with my discount so the ETF should not be apllied.  Thanks for trying though.

KB9HGI wrote:

I have the everything data plan with 2 phones. Does this mean I will have to pay a extra 19.95 a month? If this is so I'm going to US Cellular I will be done with Sprint. First they want to charge 10.00 a month extra for a smart phone then they keep charging more each month saying it's more surcharges and now they want me to pay more for my other phone which I been a sprint customer for years. Good thing I'm not under contract!

Wizard

It does not mean that. You have probably been used to seeing your primary line on your bill reading $129.99 (assuming you are on the Everything Data 1500) and your second line is $0. Now your primary line would display $110.00 and second line as $19.99

Journeyman

I have the everything data plan with 2 phones. Does this mean I will have to pay a extra 19.95 a month? If this is so I'm going to US Cellular I will be done with Sprint. First they want to charge 10.00 a month extra for a smart phone then they keep charging more each month saying it's more surcharges and now they want me to pay more for my other phone which I been a sprint customer for years. Good thing I'm not under contract!

Wizard

Actually there are multiple versions of our old legacy plans (free and clear, fair and flexible, unlimited incoming). Each plan has a respective "code" in the billing system. Some plans even have the same name, like a Fair and Flexible Family 1500 will have multiple billing system "codes". Some of them include the first two lines in the primary plan cost, some do not. The older ones, I believe, did not include the second line free of charge.