In case an MAC users are reading this post, The only thing I found that works is you have to download "Android File Transfer" AND select CAMERA PTP to access your phones usb files.
Use Android File Transfer
Thank You so much for this! After a week of being on the phone with tech support, explaining myself over and over, and visiting 3 stores 4 times, being told it was me, my PC, etc., I was exhausted. This was the answer I was looking for!
I'm posting this because I could not find this anywhere on Sprint's site or support staff.
FIX - Sprint Samsung Galaxy SII / SPH-D710 - Broken USB External SD Card ability after Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS 4.0.4) Update.
There are a bunch of people out there trying to tell you to use phone hacks, odd settings, 3rd party applications... DON'T DO IT!!!!! Yes they changed the USB interface, but that is not what is breaking your ability to see "everything" on the SD card.
Sprint or Samsung needs to fix this, but for some reason after you accept the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS 4.0.4) Update the Samsung SPH-D710 USB Drivers are no longer auto detected when you connect your phone to your PC. You have to manually download them directly from the Samsung support page.
Here is what I did to connect to my phone as a "USB Drive"... this means I see both the phone & card options again.
1. Go to the Samsung support site (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/S
2. Click "Manuals & Downloads"
3. Choose "Software"
4. Download & Install the "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1_3_2360_0)" onto your PC.
- Title Sprint SPH-D710 (Epic 4G Touch) USB Driver
- Applicable Model Sprint SPH-D710 (Epic 4G Touch) USB Driver
- Carrier or Corporate Customer Sprint
- Description Sprint SPH-D710 (Epic 4G Touch) USB Driver
5. Follow USB Driver installation prompts.
6. ReBoot your PC to make the driver active.
7. Now connect your phone to the PC and wait for the "Connected as a media device (Touch for other USB options)" to pop-up on your top status bar.
- Make sure "Media device (MTP)" has a "green check mark" by it.
8. Wait for your PC to recognize the device it can take several minutes (be patient and DO NOT disconnect your phone or change options)
- Note: One of the PC's I used made me reboot a second time after the phone was connected to activate the USB drivers. But it should prompt you if this is needed.
9. When complete - You should see a phone icon in your My Computer screen labeled SPH-D710
I really hope that they fix this with the next update. Until then, I suggest putting the drivers on a plain ol thumb drive and keep it handy for those times when you might need to connect to another PC.
***SIDE NOTE: If you are having problems with your ICS update... Call Sprint and take it to the repair center that they recommend. Both my husband and I had to do this because the old Gingerbread and the new Ice Cream Sandwich were fighting each other for control on some things. They are able to completely wipe Gingerbread off of the phone and install Ice Cream Sandwich from scratch... This fixed our battery and connectivity issues.