cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I broke my EVO 4G - Do I have any options?

Journeyman

I broke my EVO 4G - Do I have any options?

I dropped my EVO4G facedown onto a hard surface.  The screen is badly cracked but, fortunately, the phone powers up and I was able to backup everything.  I've been reasonably satisfied with Sprint's plan for the past 20 or so months.  Unlimited data is good for me and I'm interested in staying with it.

I contacted Sprint via chat:  I am not eligible for any kind of new phone at a discount until 12/1/12.  An equivalent phone today is $600+.  Can't even renew the contract until 12/1/12.  Very sorry, crocodile tears, etc.

Chat agent offered a Hero and Blackberry as stopgaps.  $79 and $99 respectively. Hero has poor reviews.  Blackberry has no Wifi.  I asked about  a 'dumb phone' for two months but they're out of stock.

Do I have any other options?  Are Sprint Stores worth a visit?  Can I buy a phone off of eBay or Craigslist and use it without gumming up the works with Sprint?

12 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: I broke my EVO 4G - Do I have any options?

Yeah I do it all the time. Buying out a phone online is ALWAYS the best option to avoid the hassle of extending your upgrade. Look up ads on eBay if you want more satisfaction of getting a decent phone or Craigslist if you are impatient like me. Just be aware that people love to scam these days and go to a Sprint store FIRST to meet up with anyone local so you can verify the phones ESN is clear and it is not on a stolen list. Hope this helps =) and sorry about your EVO

Journeyman

Thanks - I will try that.  I was wondering how to figure out if the sales were legit and meeting a local seller at a store makes a lot of sense.  I gather that Sprint doesn't put any roadblocks in the way for this?

Journeyman

If you buy a phone locally Sprint won't care to switch the phone over. It's safest to do that in store anyways unless you are confident the phone is in good working condition AND that the ESN is clear for activation. I would also play with the phone to make sure everything works, as sometimes people will pawn a device off and get rid of it for a dollar which is a scam. eBay is truly a safer method as if you are unsatisfied, most times an item can be returned if it's not to your liking. Prices for the evo still very and some you can get new for $125 roughly. I would read the ads carfefully to make sure that someone is selling you a phone in working condition that is also not damaged.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-EVO-4G-1GB-Black-Sprint-Smartphone-Clean-ESN-MEID-good-condition-/140855...

Like the link above is something I would buy because its low priced and includes accessories.

Journeyman

Great news!  This gives me the breathing room I was looking for.  It also looks like repair may be possible if only the screen is borked.  I just found another thread with this recommendation:

http://www.missionrepair.com/HTC_EVO_Glass_Screen_Repair_p/222-4090.htm

I'll give these guys a call as well.

Journeyman

If you want to replace the screen for $109 go ahead. IMO I wouldn't do that. I never send things in for repair. Buying them out is what I do. You could even find a cheaper one online. But if you feel that replacing the lcd screen is all you need then go for it! And I hope you get your EVO back to brand working condition!

Journeyman

I see your point about buying vs. replacing.  I am also considering time to obtain a device vs. time to repair.  But!  In just a few minutes, I went from handcuffed to having multiple options.  How great is that?!

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's awesome! There is always an option it's just the matter of choosing the right one. If you have another device you would like to use laying around, activate it and send it. Or you can buy a cheapo and still send it in for repair and wait for the arrival. Or just buy a new/used phone to your liking (doesn't even have to be the evo).

Journeyman

For closure and archiving - I took my phone to a local repair shop.  They replaced the screen for $79.95 in a short time.  Phone is working well again! 

Wizard

You might want to consider a case for your next phone. One drop and you know....................