cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LATE PAYMENT QUESTION!

SOLVED
Journeyman

LATE PAYMENT QUESTION!

I've been with Sprint long enough to remember the "spending limts" however, I do not know how "late fees" work NOW. I never pay late but due to me moving, I will have to pay them <GASP!> 3 days late. My bill is due on the 7th, I get paid on the 10th. Does anyone know what Sprint will do? Do they tack on late fees instantly or is there still a seven-day rule?

2 REPLIES
Master

LATE PAYMENT QUESTION!

If your bill date is through lets say April 14- May 13th and it shows a due date of May 7th you will be OK paying on the 10th.  The due date is usually 6-7 days before the actual cutoff of the billing cycle.  In essence, if the new bill cuts/processes and there is a balance you have a late fee. This is standard process in our industry, if you haven't been late in the last year a customer service representative will be able to adjust the bill if the late fee annoys you.

Have a safe and happy holiday

Larry

Wizard

Re: LATE PAYMENT QUESTION!

I moved your question to the Customer Service forum.

In general, a late fee is applied to the next month's bill (shown in the the Summary of Account Charges section) when the outstanding balance is over $10.00 and is 30 or more days past the bill-cycle close date, which is NOT the bill date.  The law requires a 20-day interval from the bill date, which drives the payment-due date.

That's a lot of dates, so let's take a look at your situation (please call Customer Service to confirm 100%; I don't have access to customer accounts, so I can only assume the dates):

According to your post, your payment-due date is 6/7, so your bill-cycle close date is probably around 5/14 and your bill date around 5/18.  You can check the dates by clicking on the See my bill link on the My Sprint landing page -- look for Bill Period and Bill Date at the top of the Monthly Statement page.  As said above, you have 30 days past the bill-cycle close date before incurring a late fee, so that puts you at around 6/12 (5/14 + 30 days).  Be sure Sprint receives your payment no later than that.

Here are a few other things that may be worth knowing when forced to incur a late fee:

• A late fee is not charged on a late fee. If the account balance is paid except for the late fee due, no additional late fee is calculated.
  • Taxes are charged on the late fee.
  • To calculate late fee:
    • Subtract any applied adjustments from the outstanding balance.
    • Multiply total by applicable late-fee rate.
  • Late-fee rates by state: 
    • Virgin Islands  0.00%
    • Mississippi  0.30%
    • Oklahoma  0.40%
    • Iowa  0.52%
    • Alabama, Alaska, North Dakota, Puerto Rico  0.70%
    • Wisconsin  1.00%
    • Nebraska  1.30%
    • Arkansas  1.40%
    • Maine, South Carolina  1.50%
    • Washington, DC  1.50%
    • Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia  2%
    • Colorado  3.70%
    • North Carolina  4.00%
    • All other states  5.00%
    Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.