cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount

16 REPLIES
Journeyman

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Best Buy went the way of Radio Shack in that you don't have to wait for any rebates or gift cards.  They roll those discounts into the price of the phone. 

Journeyman

Yep, it always pays to shop around when you upgrade as a current customer.  The corporate Sprint stores/website are going to go by the cheapest possible route to get you back in a contract.  Just like insurance companies, they will give you a better deal as a new customer, to GET a new customer then they would do with an existing customer.  I found this out really quickly when pricing insurance when buying a new car.  If I got a quote with my current insurance customer as a new customer with the new car it was cheaper than what I was quoted to change the car on my existing policy.  Bit of a rip off, but it was actually cheaper to cancel my current insurance when I bought my car and apply like a new customer for insurance.  Sprint has obviously wised up to this and does not allow, new customer pricing if you have had a contract in the last 3 months.  Otherwise people would just pay the ETF to get a new phone, hence why ETF fees have almost doubled to make it basically the same as the off contract phone price for most devices through Sprint.

Journeyman

BestBuy discounts work the same way but they give you more than $150 discount. For example when I upgrade to a new phone in Dec. 2011 I can get a Photon 4G for $199 at Sprint with a renewal of my existing plan for another 2 years! Now if I go to BestBuy I can get the same phone for $99.99 to renew my contract!

Wizard

Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount

As a longtime customer I'm OK with the current device discounts offerred with a new contract. I'm NOT OK with Sprint charging a continuing customer (extending service with a new contract) an new activation fee. THAT should be my loyalty bonus for staying with Sprint. Oh, and keeping/transferring my account preferences as mentioned in my earlier post.

Wizard

You have been with Sprint for a little over two years, according to my records, I will be a Sprint customer for at least 15 years in January. I am now offered the same discounts that you and any new customer has. I see no problem with this. Why would you?

dd

I choose to be an Advocate for Sprint. In order to comply with FTC rules I must state that I was a SAGE 2011 attendee. Expenses associated with SAGE 2011 were covered by Sprint Nextel Corporation and HTC.  My attendance at the event in no way precludes me from speaking in favor or against items of interest to Sprint or HTC.

Journeyman

Everyone here must be blind and stupid for not understanding!!

NEW CUSTOMERS GET A $250.00 DISCOUNT OFF A 2 YEAR CONTRACT, RIGHT?

EXISTING CUSTOMERS ONLY GET $100.00 DISCOUNT OFF A 2 YEAR CONTRACT. THEN THE $150.00 UPGRADE DISCOUNT. FOR ALL OF YOU READING THIS THAT COUNT EITHER THAT IS A TOTAL OF $250.00

MY POINT IS A 2 YEAR AGREEMENT IS A 2 YEAR AGREEMENT AND IT SHOULD BE THE SAME FOR A NEW OR EXISTING CUSTOMER RIGHT???

THEN I WOULD GET MY 250.00 2 YEAR CONTRACT DISCOUNT THEN THE $150.00 UPGRADE DISCOUNT THAT WE ARE NOT GETTING!! EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOW WE GET IT ON PAPER BECAUSE THEY CHANGE THE 2 YEAR CONTRACT PRICE WITH EXISTING CUSTOMERS....

WHAT IS THE POINT IN WAITING TO UPGRADE YOUR PHONE WHEN IT IS THE SAME PRICE AS ANY OTHER TIME??

I'M DONE!!!

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wizard

MICHAELRJ9,  Stop comparing yourself to a "new" customer in terms of what the carrier is paying in new phone subsidies. You are getting a discount. Anyone willing to agree to a new contract term gets a discount. Carriers lose money subsidizing new phones. The only way it's cost-effective is for them to be able to guarantee spreading this cost over the term of a new contract. How much do you think you are worth as a customer? They should subsidize a new phone for you whenever you want without a contract because you are an existing customer? We would all be paying much higher rates if that was the case.

Existing AT&T landline customers or Cable (name any) customers get NO special incentives to stay. Only new customers get enticed with special deals and existing customers can show what they think about that with their feet. By comparison, there is much more discount incentive to stay with wireless carriers.

My biggest beef with Sprint is that they can't seem to transfer over account preferences and profile info. when existing customers renew. They treat me as a new customer after 9 years and it pisses me off when I start getting their sales calls and texts all over again after I have expressly told them (or selected settings) not to do that in the past.

Journeyman

Dude for lack of a better term your a idiot. Read the terms its 150 off or the national advertised price. You get that price because your getting it subsidized by signing a contract. It's the same thing with any other contract carrier. So either this is your first phone or your just stupid.

To the other guy who was premier before they changed the premier terms contact Sprint and state this and usally they'll give you one last upgrade under the old terms.

Journeyman

I'm ticked too because for months, to the right of my bill, I had an icon telling me that as a valued customer, I was eligible for a FREE upgrade as of Oct. 1st. Now I check and I am not eligible for anything. So much for the Silver program or whatever BS it was. I am so done with Sprint and their shitty phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well when you sign into your account and you see a notice (not sure of the exact wording) but it said for being a valued customer "you qualified" for a 150.00 phone upgrade discount.

That is BS, thats all i'm saying. There is NO 150.00 phone upgrade discount. It is the exact price for existing customers and new ones.

The only reason Sprint says that is because you are out of contract and they want to suck you into another contract.

If that was not the reason Where is my discount it says I am getting?

I also wondered what sprint would do if you were still in contract and lost or broke you phone and wanted to buy a replacement. Knowing what I know about the "discount I am getting" they would say I would have to pay full price because they know there is nothing you can do because you are still in a contract.