cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best upgrade for the EVO?

Patron

Best upgrade for the EVO?

I loved my EVO but the charger port is broken for the second time and I am going to upgrade. Want to stick with an Android (don't like iphones)...what is the best available upgrade for the EVO?

I have it narrowed down between the Epic Touch, the Galaxy Nexus, and the Photon. Which would be the best successor to my EVO?

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: Best upgrade for the EVO?

Tough call, chief, tough call.

Not one of your selections is within the same family, but I take it you've looked at the EVO Shift, EVO 3D, and EVO Design before point-blank eliminating all of them?

A lot of Sprint's 'Droids are still running with "4G" WiMAX.  If you don't plan on a 4G upgrade, you can safely choose the Epic or the Photon, as Sprint could elect at any time to shut down its WiMAX towers. Otherwise, you should wait for more LTE 'Droids to appear that you can choose from.  Of your current picks, the Nexus is the only one that actually does LTE (standard 4G).  The Nexus is also a known candidate for the Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" (ICS) base system when Samsung and Sprint are ready to push it out.  The others might or might not get this vaunted upgrade; and if they do, it's not clear whether the push will be a few weeks away or a few months away.  Even so, all choices should be running 2.3 "Gingerbread" and should therfore have access to the entire Google Play catalog.

I can't vouch for their sturdiness as I myself have never owned a 'Droid.  Perhaps someone else can help here.

--NA

Highlighted

If I were you I would wait for the htc EVO 4g LTE. The specs look good for this phone.

Wizard

Tough call, indeed.  It depends if you need the upgrade today or are willing to wait a few months.  I expect to see a broad range of new LTE phones coming out between now and the end of the year. 

I ordered two new batteries for my Evo this week because I'm having some of the same issues as you with the charging.  I was all set to order the Evo LTE, but really want to see what the next few months bring.  I know there will always be something new just around the corner, but this year seems to be bringing a huge step forward in screens, cameras, construction, capabilities, and efficiency.  Plus, I have to admit I still really like my Evo...at least when the battery is charged.

Wizard

NAlden wrote:

Tough call, chief, tough call.

Not one of your selections is within the same family, but I take it you've looked at the EVO Shift, EVO 3D, and EVO Design before point-blank eliminating all of them?

A lot of Sprint's 'Droids are still running with "4G" WiMAX.  If you don't plan on a 4G upgrade, you can safely choose the Epic or the Photon, as Sprint could elect at any time to shut down its WiMAX towers. Otherwise, you should wait for more LTE 'Droids to appear that you can choose from.  Of your current picks, the Nexus is the only one that actually does LTE (standard 4G).  The Nexus is also a known candidate for the Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" (ICS) base system when Samsung and Sprint are ready to push it out.  The others might or might not get this vaunted upgrade; and if they do, it's not clear whether the push will be a few weeks away or a few months away.  Even so, all choices should be running 2.3 "Gingerbread" and should therfore have access to the entire Google Play catalog.

I can't vouch for their sturdiness as I myself have never owned a 'Droid.  Perhaps someone else can help here.

--NA

Sprint has committed to maintain the WiMax network through 2015 and selling 4G WiMax devices through the 2012 year.  The Network Vision rollout is scheduled to complete by the end of 2013 with LTE being a big part of the project.  My own two cents - non-Sprint answer - I am waiting for the Evo LTE to launch.  The specs - primarily the processor - is the closer for me. The only thing that has me a little bugged out is that the battery is said to be embedded, granted it's a much larger battery, I still like to be able to have a back-up battery to swap out if I don't have time to throw it on the charger after watching Netflix or streaming music for a few hours.

Journeyman

Last year I had Wiimax in my city, it is no longer available on my EVO.  It is not a major market, but a smaller market they began to unroll but backed out.  So in my experience Sprint keeping up the Wiimax network is bs, they aren't putting any resources in Wiimax, buy an lte phone and future proof yourself.  Why anyone would be looking at 3G or Wiimax phones right now blows my mind.  Wait a month or two for the onslaught of dual core lte phones that are on the way.

GrandMaster

if memory serves they already have one LTE phone released...the EVO 4G LTE will be released in june..and im not sure on the other one by LG. personally i would hold upgrade to a LTE phone since that will be the new and improved. depending on where you live you might end up with the LTE in your area sooner than you think...then again you might not for a while...by chance do you have 4G currently or just 3G?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Employee

My first pick would be the Evo LTE, if not that then the Galaxy Nexus, because they are LTE capable, have ICS and look like pretty solid phones. If the non removable battery intimidates you remember that there are portable (battery powered) battery chargers available like the Solio charger, or the Tylt charger.

No longer working Community Response.
Patron

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately we do not have 4G in my city (Reno, NV). From what I have heard in the past it doesnt look like we will be getting 4G anytime soon. I didn't know a new EVO was coming out. Maybe I will just wait and check out the new one. The problem is I need one now. My current EVO won't charge. I wll likely use my insurance and hold off for the next best Sprint phone.

GrandMaster

hit amazon and purchase a external battery charger...OR snag a cheap non smart phone..the new evo LTE wll be out in june..there is already one other LTE phone that was just released a week or so ago..and one other one from LG if i remember right that will be out in the near future.

info on the EVO 4G LTE.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/htc-evo-4g-lte-fact-sheet.htm

not to mention might as well get on the LTE bandwagon since the LTE will be in reno before to long... im actually surprised yall dont have 4G already. anywho for the time being even if you have a LTE phone you'll still be using the regular 3G data anyways...so that wont be changing just yet...but at least youre future set up for when the new stuff DOES come in

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Technically nobody has 4G yet (LTE), but I'd go ahead and get an LTE device this summer if I were you.  Reno isn't a tiny market, I'd imagine you would see LTE service within a year...of course I could be totally wrong so don't quote me on that.  I think Spring knows they need to get caught up though, so I expect them to be ahead of rollout plans.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat