cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i change my phone without extending my plan?

SOLVED
15 REPLIES
Master

Yes, Once you get the phone you can go to youraccount page and activate it yourself, Your plan will stay the same, Your TEP(insurance) will transferto the new phone, Your contract end date and upgrade eligibility will stay the same.

You can take both phones into a Sprint store and they can transfer your contacts over at no charge.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/howtoactivate/index.html

Journeyman

ohh yeah id also like to know if i can get my contacts transferred over to the new phone if i dont buy it from sprint

Journeyman

Ohhh ohkaay. so pretty much im good to go? i can buy the phone from my friend and get the service agreement on that phone and everything else will remain the same as it is now?

Master

To WOLFPAT58 ~ Extending your service agreement or contract DOES NOT reset your upgrade eligibility.  We corrected this problem several years ago.  We now track "equipment discounts" to apply upgrade offers to a line.  If it was reset in error, I can get that fixed for you.  It can only happen when equipment is involved.  For example, a customer upgrades their phone but changes their mind and sends the phone back or returns it to where they purchased it, and the upgrade eligibility doesn't get reset when the phone is returned.  But changing your plan, accepting contract renewal discounts, or just renewing a contract will not reset your upgrade eligibility. 

If you'd like to private message me, you can click on my avatar.  I would need your name and Sprint phone number. 

Tom

Master

Sorry for the confusion.  We only require a 1 or 2 year commitment for giving a customer a "discount" on a new phone, or opening a "new" line of service.  If you have Sprint service already, and want to get a used phone to put on your phone number, you can do this without renewing your contract.  You can even switch to our Everything Data plan to get all the cool stuff the Rumor touch can do, if you're not on this plan already; all without renewing your contract.

Tom  

Journeyman

ohhh i seee. so let me see if this is right... if i get the Rumor Touch from a friend i will NOT have to renew my service agreement? && if i buy it from sprint ill have to renew the agreement and i may have to change my plan if i want a certain service agreement?

Wizard

I apologize, I mean to say that if you get a phone from a friend/craigslist, or where ever you had you will not have to renew your service agreement, you will only have to renew the agreement if we (sprint) sell you a discounted phone, or change you to a plan that requires a specific term length which had not already been fulfilled, for example, I had a 1 year contract that was fulfilled, but the plan I want requires a 2 year service agreement.

Journeyman

so if i bought the phone from another person all id have to do is renew the service agreement? && my plan and everything else will stay the same?(:

Wizard

If you are willing to renew your service agreement and qualify for upgrade pricing the discount will vary by model, if you highlight shop, then click phones you will see more, or less the same prices that the stores and call center's offer, sometimes it may be different price by channel, and if there is a mail in rebate some of the time bestbuy may be a better deal as they no longer allow mail in rebates and they offer instant rebates instead. TEP, ESRP, and ERP protection plans will follow your phone number, not the phone, so if you got a phone from a friend, as long as our stores had not previously judged as damaged beyond repair by a service center it will be covered.

Journeyman

I have protection on my samsung reclaim so if i buy the Rumor Touch from somebody else would it go to that phone? Like if the Rumor Touch happened to break or get damaged id be able to get a replacement for it? && if i buy it from sprint how much will the upgrade discount be?