cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you sell your free upgrade phone without activating it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you sell your free upgrade phone without activating it?

I have gotten conflicting answers.  Phone support said I can sell the phone and as long as I do not activate it, it is not tied to my account and can be activated by a different user.  I also did not want to have to change my grandfathered plan. However Sprint chat support said otherwise:

Kate: Thank you for visiting Sprint. What questions can I answer for you today?
You: If I get a free upgrade and do not activate it and instead decide to sell the free phone will I have to pay a activation/upgrade fee of $36?
Kate: I would be glad to provide you information regarding Sprint phones.
Kate: Yes, you have to pay the activation fees.
Kate: you would*
You: Even If I do not activate the phone? Why is that?
Kate: In order to give the phone any one else you have to activate it under your line first and then you should deactivate it.
You: So if I do not activate it under my line first then I can not sell it?
Kate: Yes, you are correct.
You: Ok, just wanted to verify this as others say you do not have to activate the phone if it is from Sprint directly. Do you mind if I quote you on this? I have a Sprint forum where people are discussing this.
Kate: Yes, you have to activate the phone under your account then you will be able to sell the phone.
You: I will take that as permission to repost this conversation online. Thanks for your help. Bye.
Kate: You are welcome.
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Wizard

sato

Thanks for posting on Sprint Community. There are different facets to the question and I will be happy to address them.

In the event of opening a brand new line of service with Sprint, there is an activation fee. In the event of upgrading an existing line of service, there is an upgrade fee. Both fees are the same amount ($36.00). In your case, it sounds like you are upgrading an existing line of service. Once your upgrade eligibility is used, the $36.00 upgrade fee will appear on your next month's invoice, whether or not the phone is activated for use.

If you use your upgrade eligibilty but DO NOT activate the phone on the account for use, you can do with the phone as you will. However, if there is a mail-in rebate involved with your purchase, the new phone must be active on your account for at least 30 days to recieve the mail-in rebate. Also, there are instances where the serial number will be linked to your Sprint account, tho not activated for use. In this case, you just want to make sure and confirm with a Sprint representative that the new phone is not on your account.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

EDIT:  My second post was submitted at the same time some of the questions were answered by RUTH above.......

Ok,  let me try to be a little more specific and ask a few follow-up questions that came about due to conflicting answers from various sprint resources.  There are 4 different questions I have.

1)  If I get a free Sprint phone in exchange for a new 2-year contract can I sell this phone without activating it?  EDIT: (ANSWERED ABOVE)  However, it now appears that question 4 below becomes more important as I had previously believed I could get a free phone without it being pre-activated on my account from Sprint.

2)  I have a grandfathered plan that will not let me have any of the new "smartphones" without changing my plan.  If I get a free smartphone upgrade and do not activate it do I have to change my plan?

3)  If I get a "free upgrade" and do not activate it do I have to pay the $36 activation/upgrade fee?  If the answer is yes, can you explain why since in the past 10 years the upgrades were free and the activation charges were waived if I purchased from Sprint. EDIT: (ANSWERED ABOVE)  I guess the key here is it used the be an "Activation" fee  now it is called an "Activation/Upgrade" fee.

4)  Can I get a free upgrade phone from Sprint without it being shipped pre-activated?

Thanks for help in clarifying this common question.

Message was edited by: sato

Highlighted
Journeyman

New post to remove answered questions.

Can I get a free upgrade phone from Sprint without it being shipped pre-activated?

I have a grandfathered plan that will not let me have activate any of the new "smartphones" without changing my plan.  If I get a free smartphone upgrade and do not activate it do I have to change my plan?

Highlighted
Journeyman

from what i remember the phone will be shipped without being activated.

you will have to lose your grandfathered plan in order to purchase(order) smartphone.

my advice to you if you are just going to sell the new phone is to purchase an galaxy s3, note 2 or iphone 5 rather than get a freebie.  they are more desirable devices and will net you more cash

Highlighted
Journeyman

sato- Hey sato, I'm happy to help out. In regards to your plan, if you were grandfathered in, you would have to change your plan to a current price plan. Also as Ruth mentioned before, there are two seperate fees. Activation fees are charged in regards to new lines, where as the upgrade fee is charged when you upgrade your device. I can understand where it can be confusing since both are $36.00. Your phone would also be shipped without being actived, as uppetey mentioned. Please let me know if you have any other questions, I am always here to help -Kris

Journeyman

when did the upgrade fee begin?  I wasnt charged it last time

Highlighted
Journeyman

uppetey - I'm not sure of the specific date, but it's been a few years. It's possible the last time you upgraded their was a promotion running.-Kris

Highlighted
Journeyman

this is true i bought my gs3 during the black friday sale so i didnt pay an activation fee either

Highlighted

uppetey

Yes we offer promotions on these type of things every once in a while. Was there any other questions you wanted to bring to our attention or did Kris answer them all for you? Here to help!

Thanks,

Krishel

Social Care Team

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat