cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Sprint, Please remove the spyware rootkit from my phones.....(Sprint installed CarrierIQ)

Journeyman

Dear Sprint, Please remove the spyware rootkit from my phones.....(Sprint installed CarrierIQ)

If you have not already heard, the vast majority of Sprint phones (especially all those from HTC) have a rookey spy bot running on them called "Carrier IQ".  This software functions no matter what network you are on (3G/4G/private Wi-Fi) It logs every button you push, the content of all emails, SMS/MMS messages, locations, application use, Web browser history, pretty much EVERYTHING you do with your phone. It even logs web data from encrypted sites (https). To include any online banking applications, purchases, credit card data, etc. etc.

This is a massive invasion of privacy, one that sprint (and Verizon) had installed on the ROM's of Android, and iPhones. There isn't even a privacy policy that indicates who, and what will be done with all the data they collect. To make matters even worse, all data goes through the hands of Carrier IQ, a third party company that takes all data collected from our phones and puts it in a database they maintain...

Not only is this wrong on a moral basis, it is also illegal, and violates US wiretap laws....

If you have not heard about this yet, here is a quick read in Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/11/30/phone-rootkit-carrier-iq-may-have-violated-wire...

Please call sprint, write them, and demand that this spyware is removed from our phones immediately, (or at least offer Sprint customers a means to "opt. out" of data collection). This is not something that can wait a month or even a week... It will only take a few hours per phone to generate a rom without the carrier IQ agent installed (it is just an application running as a root service, and takes seconds to uninstall without affecting any other portion of the operating system.)

Sprint needs to include a spyware free rom, or give us the ability to root our phones and uninstall it.

34 REPLIES 34
Journeyman

Amennn!!!

Journeyman

We needed yet another thread on this? Really?

Journeyman

Yes we do.

Journeyman

Hey Bob...really...several more as a matter of fact.  If you do not think this is a serious issue, please provide more of a reason why than just "Really?" 

Journeyman

I cannot think of a more gross violation of trust than what Sprint has done with CIQ. They are absolutely asking for a class action ass whoopin.

Journeyman

We do not have enough of these threads!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did not sign over my right to privacy when I bought my EVO.  We make conscious decisions every day when we download specific applications that require access to particular components of our phones but who among us knew this was in place before it was  purchased?  As citizens and consumers, We cannot let this continue.  Before you know it, enforcement agencies will be knocking on this vendor's door to get illegal access to information on any consumer in Sprint's info base.  Can you say class action law suit?  Maybe a cease and decist order?  I can...

Journeyman

Bob, you are an idiot and a bafoon if you think an informed consumer would take this lightly. 

Journeyman

My contracts are up and I'm ready to buy 2 new phones for Xmas... then this comes up. I've been watching it unfold for the past week  It's a security disaster waiting to happen. Just like the Sony Rootkit that hackers immediatly took advantage of, they'll do it with this one too. Most of the work is already done for them. Why would anyone buy a phone that their own tech support tells you not to log in to your banking accounts.

At this point I don't really care what Sprint "looks at" from CIQ logs, I don't want and, will not have, a keylogger on my phone. The last thing I want in my pocket is some discusting product that tested positive for Carrier IQ.

I'll give Sprint a week to figure out a way to uninstall CIQ from their phones. If not, no matter, I'll find the phones elswhere.

For those that want to check if your phone is infected, there's an App here with a video of how to use it.

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simplecarrieriqdetector#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxM...

Journeyman

Giving Sprint a week is way too long. They already know how to get this off the phones. I am getting sick and tired of this bullshit they are dishing out. I am also sick of hearing about the stupid survey after every goddamned call!!!

Journeyman

I just downloaded the Voodoo Carrier IQ app and it is not on the Motorola Photon 4G am it is not on it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat