cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Sprint, Please remove the spyware rootkit from my phones.....(Sprint installed CarrierIQ)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear Sprint, Please remove the spyware rootkit from my phones.....(Sprint installed CarrierIQ)

If you have not already heard, the vast majority of Sprint phones (especially all those from HTC) have a rookey spy bot running on them called "Carrier IQ".  This software functions no matter what network you are on (3G/4G/private Wi-Fi) It logs every button you push, the content of all emails, SMS/MMS messages, locations, application use, Web browser history, pretty much EVERYTHING you do with your phone. It even logs web data from encrypted sites (https). To include any online banking applications, purchases, credit card data, etc. etc.

This is a massive invasion of privacy, one that sprint (and Verizon) had installed on the ROM's of Android, and iPhones. There isn't even a privacy policy that indicates who, and what will be done with all the data they collect. To make matters even worse, all data goes through the hands of Carrier IQ, a third party company that takes all data collected from our phones and puts it in a database they maintain...

Not only is this wrong on a moral basis, it is also illegal, and violates US wiretap laws....

If you have not heard about this yet, here is a quick read in Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/11/30/phone-rootkit-carrier-iq-may-have-violated-wire...

Please call sprint, write them, and demand that this spyware is removed from our phones immediately, (or at least offer Sprint customers a means to "opt. out" of data collection). This is not something that can wait a month or even a week... It will only take a few hours per phone to generate a rom without the carrier IQ agent installed (it is just an application running as a root service, and takes seconds to uninstall without affecting any other portion of the operating system.)

Sprint needs to include a spyware free rom, or give us the ability to root our phones and uninstall it.

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Journeyman

Same they either removed it or Voodoo Carrier IQ does not find it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Voodoo found it on my Epic again this morning.

This is a stocking full of coal from Sprint to us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Sprint, stop with the lies and deception. It is pathetic! We want Carrier IQ off every phone! We did not sign contracts for this garbage, not to mention the slow data, horrible network, lack of 4g, towers constantly failing!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Maybe they think it will blow over.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And another day where Sprint will do NOTHING to get this crap off our phones. Wow, how did that word even get censored? I posted c-r-a-p. I wonder if that will be removed by the moderators?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This will not blow over and if not removed, many of us will have no choice but to switch back to Verizon.

My company deals with Bankruptcies, SEC filings,legal filings, Hippa and SOX complaincy issues and matters of a highly confidential matter. We certainly can't risk ANYONE having this spyware on our mobile devices and I'll be in contact with our Corporate I.T. governence today to find out what can be done to change our accounts immediately. Unfortunately for me, I have my own personal accounts with Sprint and I can access my corporate email account from my phone, so I opted out of taking a company paid phone. Not that my family has anything confidential other than Happy Birthday and Merry Xmas pictures being sent, but when I reply to an email on my phone, or log into a secure site, I expect HTTPS communications and transactions to be truly secure. This simply violates numerous statutes that were created to protect us. I'll be asking Sprint formally how they will remove Carrier IQ from my phone, and if not, switching to Verizon on my own with all my lines and will refuse to pay the cancellation / early termination fee, as well as contacting other legal resources to see if anyone has begun proceedings for a class action lawsuit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, how much does anyone want to bet that the new Parental Mobile controls that capture all the data on your kid's phones is tied in with Carrier IQ??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is spying on me?  Why would they want to do that?  I dont think they can spy on me because my phone is really slow.

Highlighted
Journeyman

did u ever think that could be why it is so slow

Highlighted
Journeyman

No.  But if this is why Sprint is slow I hope they take it off so i can get faster speeds.  It is so very slow

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here you go guys. This don't seem to be as bad as you thought. Now give your thoughts.

http://www.carrieriq.com/index.htm

Highlighted
Journeyman

hate to break it to you sk3pt1kal92 but u cant beleve ANYTHING thats on that site. its been disected from google and several other KNOWN reasearchers and its BAD

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat