cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we wait to upgrade our phones until sprint rolls out LTE?

Journeyman

I am currently the owner of a HTC Hero, which i think for those that have owned one or currently own one would agree with me that its a POS. I am eligible for an upgrade and have been waiting on the side lines watching how the Iphone 4s is panning out, along side other phones that have been recently released. Sprint has now announced a hand full of devices will be released with the roll out of LTE in 2012, which supposedly will be much faster than the current WIMAX. So it begs the question, do I wait another year to upgrade to take advantage of a network with faster speeds on a device that is built for LTE? If I upgrade now i wont be able to upgrade again for two more years and during that period will my phone be looked at as an outdate slow machine? Is it stupid to think that the speed difference from an upgraded sprint network (LTE) make me feel buyers remorse or is there really nothing to worry about? Im not convinced that even by the time it rolls out the performance will be felt wide spread. My gut says UPGRADE and take it from there after they switch to LTE.    What do you guys think????

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Sprint's LTE getting Advanced in 2013, WiMAX's inferiority complex intensifies

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/25/sprints-lte-getting-advanced-in-2013-wimaxs-inferiority-compl/

Sprint just started building out its LTE network, but being the eager beavers that they are, the folks in Overland Park are already talking about taking the Now Network to the next level. Iyad Tarazi, Sprint's VP of network development and engineering, said that Sprint will be rolling out an LTE-Advanced network in the first half of 2013. (As a brief refresher, LTE-Advanced is a true 4G technology that can make regular LTE speeds look positively pedestrian in comparison.) Tarazi added that we would see 12 LTE devices in 2012 and that over 250 million people will have access to Sprint-flavored LTE by the end of 2013 -- with voice over LTE service coming in the first quarter of that year. For those (hundreds?) of you worried about the fate of of WiMAX, well, don't. Apparently, the out-of-favor 4G network will continue to be supported for several more years due to Sprint's agreement with Clearwire. So, it appears Sprint's really making a run at Verizon's LTE hegemony. Good luck Mr. Hesse, you're probably going to need it.

Highlighted
Master

MJpainter0404 I think the question is IF you can wait with the Hero - there have been quite a few favorable devices come along since the Hero came out and I am sure this marching progression of the next new thing will continue. You may want to search 3rd party sources and pick up a replacement and save your upgrade. With the iPhone coming out there will be an influx of Evo's both 4G and 3D for sale and I am sure some people will even dump their Epic and Epic Touch devices.  I always mention this because it is a way to stay current and save your upgrade. Just a thought as you consider your next step -

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with OKIESTRO as far as the phones go.  If you can find something after market it would hold you over, however, unless you live in one of the biggest cities in the country I would not expect 4G until 2014 time frame for the normal areas.  So you would actually work out fine if you upgrade now and by the time 4G is in your area you would be good to go for another upgrade.  Just my 2 cents since that is my situation.  I just got 3g last year so I doubt I will see 4g for about a decade

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, sprint need some serious luck for the future in terms of competion.

In regards to buying current phones like the EVO, i have thought of that idea, but given how some of android phones such as my wifes EVO has been buggy, i am very ready to take the chance with the iphone. Im not a android or even an EVO basher, but the bugs that keep poping up with each update or no updates makes me wonder if they ever will produce an android phone bug free. Regardless of the continued bugs, some of the current and new phones are still amazing. I appreciate your opinions and i think im definitely leaning towards an upgrade but am just struggling on which phone to go with. Either way, i know ill be happy considering the headaches the damn Hero has given me.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat