Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow 3g speeds in 53219, Milwaukee

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Sprint or whoever,

I have called over the past week or two trying to figure out why 3G speeds have been dismal at 4kb/s-40kb/s. There are too many notes on my account over this, its ridiculous.

I was told by the technical support department that is was caused by a network issue since November 2 and that it would be fixed on November 9/10. That didn't happen. Then they told me November 11/12. That did not work as well.

I called again today, they told me the network issue is fixed. BUT why am I still receiving extremely slow speeds of 4kb/s-40kb/s? They said go to a diagnostic center for a factory reset (and you might pay a $35 repair service fee because I did not have a "Total Equipment". Some type of bogus insurance. Now, if there is nothing wrong with my phone, they are going to open another ticket for a network issue...

I am sick and tired of calling. I am sick and tired of complaining. I am sick and tired of "go here", "do this", "download that", "reset your phone" for a solution that does not work. Even the supervisor tells me to do these things. Why? If there is something wrong with the 3G network, then tell me. It is better than telling me otherwise. Do not frustrate your long-time customers with bogus answers that don't work......  And no a factory reset does not work.

I have been with Sprint since 2004. Please answer me.

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Wizard

PMARTIR1,

Thanks for the post and my apologies for the issues. I checked up on your area and found that you are in an area with known capacity issues. We are working toward improving capacity which will in turn improve your data speeds. You should start noticing a difference towards the end of December.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them.

Regards,

William

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am a user in Southern California. I paid for a "DATA PLAN" so far everywhere I have gone I am getting not above .44 Mbps and .28 Mbps upload. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. I have read other users are experiencing the same issue. I am a new customer and I switched and paid for teathering and as of now I CAN NOT connect to my work servers and resolve issues with this device whick I need to do for work. I need this resolved NOW not in December. I am using a new IPhone 4s with a paid teathering plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for the information William. It was greatly appreciated!

Then I guess, my question would be how would this situation with the network affect my billing statement? I do receive some data but it is certainly not up to par with what I had been receiving prior to November 2nd.

Regards, PMARTIR1

Highlighted
Wizard

MARTIR1,

Per Sprints terms and conditions data speeds are not guaranteed. You can locate and review our terms and conditions by clicking here.

-William

Highlighted
Wizard

royv4g,

Sorry to hear about the issues as well. What is your zipcode? I can take a look at the area for you as well and see if there are any enhancements planned.

Regards,

William

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Extremely slow 3g speeds in 53219, Milwaukee

Except I believe you state a speed range of your 3G network to be 600Kbps-1.5Mbps on your website. But it's not. That's false advertising. Straight up false advertising. He has a problem, it is your job to fix it. Slow 3G speeds are Sprint's fault for congestion in cities. Piss poor infrastructure is Sprint's fault. Not anybody elses. He deserves to have his problem fixed, especially when you can prove it is Sprints fault by doing speed tests on non-peak hours that surpass 1MBit. It's clearly a congestion issue, and it's nobodies fault but Sprint's. I've done these tests in Milwaukee, and Madison. It's a congestion issue, and you should be giving refunds to every phone user in these areas if they are not achieving 3G speed but are still being required to pay for premium data service. William, would you consider 1KB/s premium data speed?

I'd honestly love for you to check my zipcode for capacity upgrades as well to see if what you tell me is different than the THREE OTHER sprint reps told me. I want exact ETAs for every single tower that has a capacity upgrade scheduled. It's 53703, I live less than 500 feet from the tower on 1XX Blount St. I have 5 bars most everywhere in the city, except my download speeds are literally hovering around 1KB/s download and 1KB/s upload during the 9-5 hours.

Highlighted
Wizard

dclutter123,

As per my initial response to PMARTIR1, we have scheduled augments which will help relieve congestion in that given area. I do not consider 1KB/s to be a premium speed and I did not infer that. I am simply providing information available in regards to network augments as well as what our policy states in regards to data speeds.

As far as your area is concerned, the cellsite closest to your zipcode is scheduled for an EVDO and Voice augment. The tentative completion date for the EVDO augment is 11/30/2011. The Voice augment scheduled for completion 12/31/2011. Keep in mind that these dates are tentative and can change. We closely monitor our network for optimal performance and will approve capacity augments when necessary. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may pose. Feel free to send me a private message if you need further assistance.

Regards,

William

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another thought is that the DNS issues preset by the network may be the culprit. I know I have had issues with apple devices and DNS. Is there anyway to manually set the DNS. I will try hooking up to my phone's hotspot and test it to see what true speeds I achieve.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well the DNS did not fix anything. It is the connection I am getting .68 mbps down and .01 upload. Why was I not warned of these issues when I was purchasing this iPhone? Why am I not on a 4g network but a really slow so called 3g network? The coverage map clearly shows dark green where I am.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Decided to reply here as opposed to making my own thread. I too am suffering from slow 3g speeds. I have two phones on my plan. An EVO 4G and EVO 4G Shift. Side by side the Evo Shift tests at around 500-900 kbps where the Evo tests at under 100 kbps. I have TEP on both phones so I decided to take it into the store today to see if something can be done. What I was told by the rep - word for word - "Well our 3g speeds aren't that fast", and "The speed test app is a 3rd party app not designed by Sprint". I'd like to know if that is a selling point when customers come into the store to buy an iPhone. "Well our 3g is not that fast". Come on. How does one phone test at normal speeds while the other - stronger phone might I point out - test at ridiculous 2g speeds? Something isn't right. Same plan, same phones (basically), same area, different speeds. I don't know where to go from here.

Highlighted
Wizard

BdonMack,

Besides using the speed test app, have you tried to do your own test of both devices to verify that there is a difference in speeds? Also, what kinds of apps are both of the devices using, this could be a variable in the situation. Sometimes using a 3rd party Speed Test app can be quite helpful however since it isn't designed for Sprint, it may not be completely accurate, however it could be.

Let me know what apps both devices are using and be sure to make sure they both have the same PRL versions and also verify the firmware is up to date. Are you in the Milwaukee market? What is your zipcode? I'd be happy to review the area.

Regards,

William

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat