Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow 3g speeds in 53219, Milwaukee

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Extremely slow 3g speeds in 53219, Milwaukee

William,

I really apprecaite the prompt response. What I found was that the EVO 4G was stuck on the 1xRTT network while the Evo Shift was on the rightful EVDOa network. When I brought this to the attention of the reps at the store they had no idea what I was talking about. They ran some tests basically saying everything was okay. Immediately after leaving the store I called tech support, spoke to a young woman from Louisanna and it took her all of two minutes to fix the problem. Sounded like it was a common thing that tech support deals with. Seriously was overly impressed with how quickly that problem was identified and resolved over the phone. Definitely going to give that girl good marks when the automated survey calls me later in the week.

As far as the applications and all that other stuff, it was apparent that something was wrong with the EVO even without the speed test. When applications from the market take over 10 minutes to download and browsing things like pictures on Facebook were almost impossible it was obvious something was up. The speed test app just helped me to put it into numbers.

Finally, this was not a Milwaukee issue, this was a Pittsburgh, PA. issue, however it is now resolved for the time being thanks to the Sprint tech support. To wrap everything up - Sprint tech support 10/10, Sprint in-store reps 0/10.

Highlighted
Wizard

BdonMack,

I'm sorry that you had to go to a store and leave without resolution however I am happy that the technical support agent corrected the problem. Let me know if you run into any other problems. Do you mind sharing what they did to fix it? I would be glad to note the strategy for a resolution should another customer have the same issue down the road.

Regards,

William

Highlighted
Journeyman

William,

Sadly I do not remember the specifics of what she walked me through. Wish I had written it down in case it pops back up again. Roughly off the top of my head:

Went into the phone dialer, pressed ##7xxxx# - don't remember the specific numbers only that it started with 7.

Popup came up asking for a password, which the tech support rep provided me with - also do not remember that #

That took me into a screen which showed various specifications.

Pressed menu, and then reset, let the device reboot, BOOM, fixed.

Now when I run the speed test app the results were night and day. Consistently getting speeds of between 500-1100 kbps in a notoriously bad area (3g). Also shows the network as EVDOa instead of 1xRTT as it should.

Sorry I do not remember the specifics but it was a fairly straight forward fix.

Highlighted
Wizard

That's the SCRTN network profile reset ##72786#.  This works wonders as it resets nearly all settings on your device except for personal information and settings.  Glad to see it worked for you as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have noticed that when my phone is in 1xRTT mode that the "3G" icon is still displayed I would expect to see a "1X" icon. This has happened on multiple smartphones (EVO 4G, Photon and SGSII). Verizon phones will display 1x or 3G so why doesn't Sprint do the same when not in 3G coverage?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Guessing it's because the phones aren't programmed to show that specific 1x icon. Just a guess though... Also guessing at this point in time we're not supposed to be on the old networks anymore. At least not if you don't have to be as it was in my scenario.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In other words... The terms and conditions stated in your contract  state Premium 3G speeds are not Guranteed so you must pay it but you may  NOT get it.. LOL

Its not funny but you all gotta understand that this is the  reason they write these contracts in these fashions so that the simple  answer as nicely as they can put it is clear... "Just shut up Pay us  your money and take what we give you" If you want more then pay more...  If you want us to fix it then pay for it.. If your not happy to bad your  under contract... I do want you all to also know that Boost Mobile is  owned by sprint but for some reason its 3G Speed is much faster and the  system simply works better despite what Spint Customer Care say's I know  it works better because I have both phones and Believe me with Boost  mobile you pay less and Get so much more its sick... Soon as my contract  is out I'm gone.... So Sprint better use my money wisely.... I also  know that the Sprint man is gonna say that Sprint in way way wants to  say pay or shut up.. But if you over look all the fluff thats being  said, It's just they cant come right out and say it.... They will always  answer your questions and repeating the same line over and over again..  "We are working to provide you the best service we can and will Try to  fix issues in a timely manor" And they always make sure to remind you  that the Terms and Conditions which is the contract that we all agreed  to being put bluntly states you gotta pay and we dont have to provide so  deal with it... NO matter how Sprint sugar coats it thats what it  means. Take those contracts to your Lawyers and they will confirm what  I'm saying is true.. The only way Sprint will get the Message is when  enough Customers move on to better pay as you go cell phone services...

Trust me.. I've been with Sprint over 10 years.. And I've had  it.. So yeah soon as my contract is up.. It's bye bye Sprint..  Thats  the other thing they bank on.. If you all will check for your selves..  They raised the amount of money you must pay in order to terminate  services with Sprint.. Check it.. Some times you simply gotta laugh..  But its no laughing matter... So wise up people... Go to Boost Mobiles  Web site and read what you get.. You'll see that you'll get what you pay  for... Plus unlike sprint.. Boost Mobile's prices goes DOWN the longer  your with them... Unlike Sprint who's Prices Goes UP the longer your  with them...

So keep paying or pay the higher termination fee or simply wait then get out....

Those are your options...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Getting slow 3G speeds in Wash DC on my Mobile Broadband modem Getting bumped off routinely every 2 hours when Modem for some reason moves down to 1RXTT network & then reports no signal.  Area  Code 20012.  November 2011. This is the sign of an OVERSOLD NETWORK with congestion multiple devices trying to access limited bandwidth. Have experienced the same congestion with Wildblue Satellite before Sprint EVDO service and with Direcway before Wildblue.  Have been on Sprint 3G for 4 full years now, might be time for me to switch to my local WISP.  . But I like the mobility that the BB card gives me as I am frequently between Richmond, the boonies and DC. 

Sprint Techs are not going to tell you the Network is oversold either... (they want to keep their jobs) . Have a relative who works in Corporate in Texas.. they told me what you are experiencing is all over the country because of these Unlimited plans Sprint has been selling.. 4G customers don't get 4G speeds and 3G custiomers get bumped every couple of hours.. What you gonna do?  No guarateens about performance in your contract. You vote with your feet or your pocketbook.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat