Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 2 - Proximity Sensor

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy Note 2 - Proximity Sensor

Hi all,

Everytime I make a call with the Galaxy Note 2 and put the phone against my face and the screen goes black, when I remove the phone from my face to hang up the call, the phone doesn't turn back on. It remains black. I'm guessing it's a proximity sensor issue and it's very irratating. I usually need to remove the battery everytime after a phone call and restart the phone. Does anybody else have this problem and what solutions (if any) have you found?

Thank you very much

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy Note 2 - Proximity Sensor

well it could be the fact that you could have downloaded an app from the android market and its permissions include messing up your phone for example to modify storage or such can delete certain files on expensive phones and such . or it can be a setting that you could have messed with after getting the phone. also you may want to try cleaning the phone make sure there is no tinting and also last but not least try not to drop the phone it can screw with the internal censors . well gl and hope you have solved it with those simple ideas

Highlighted
Wizard

-whah?

Highlighted
Wizard

Evening Meelod,

Did those great suggestions above work? I have also found that some phone cases and screen protectors may block the sensor when talking on the phone. Be sure to let me know if you got everything figured out!

Samantha

Sprint Social Media Team

Tuesday-Saturday 11am-8pm mst

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the very same problem. And nothing Username said nor I am Sam suggested a possibility. Because I generally use speaker or bluetooth for my call use I didn't notice it as a consistent problem but it has been an ongoing problem for months that I had hoped an update would resolve but it is not and it is really frustrating because how often must we push a number to advance in a call system but I am unable to, I am also unable to hang up, completely black screen with no buttons working, back button, home button and the lock (restart) button not options. Complete battery pull is necessary.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the exact same problem and am taking it to service and repair ASAP.  The first time this happened i just had to wipe dust off the glass over the sensor, and everything started to work fine.  But in the past few days it is happening all the time.

My workaround is to literally hold it to a light source that is brighter than the room.  A lamp or in the sun, and then it will turn the screen back on.  It's a real pain.

Highlighted
Journeyman

UPDATE:  Service and Repair took the phone apart, blew condensed air into the sensor, reassembled it, and it is working fine now. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

ecobee, I'm glad a store was able to help as that would have been my next suggestion for the thread participants.  However, if you visit a store and the issue isn't fixed, we'd like to know about it so we can get involved.

*Christy

Sprint Social Cares

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi ecobee, was just wondering how much you paid for the service at the sprint store and how long it took?

thanks

Highlighted
Wizard

i know im not ecobee, but for just 'airing' it out that should be no cost.

If you have Total Equipment Protection part repairs are free. In this case no part was seemingly repaired or 'reseated' back into place...just simply aired out.

It should cost you nothing most likely as long as you have same type issue. Normally, actual part repairs/reseating is $50 without Equipment Protection coverage. 

It takes 20 minutes-ish depending on the tech. Just depends how many other phones they are working on before they get to yours. Wait time will vary.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat