cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic car adapters (same as name brand?)

Journeyman

Do the generic car adapters (I have an HTC Evo) work the same as the ones sold on Sprint.com? Amazon sells them starting at 3.00, and the ones sold by Sprint start at over 20.00. The Amazon price sounds too good to be true. Input?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wizard

You should be fine.

I am using one from eBay and no problem!

MM

Highlighted
Wizard

iluvadoption,

Keep in mind you always want to use a Sprint or manufacturer approved charger. From my own experience, I purchased a generic charger from the Internet, not thinking much of it. A few days after I had used the charger, the charging port on my device was damaged. Keep in mind I am VERY careful with my electronics.

I ended up having to file a claim through Asurion and pay $100.00 for a replacement unit. Needless to say I learned my lesson and always purchase my accessories through Sprint. My advice to you is, as long as it is an original manufacturer charger or a Sprint charger, your safe. If not, be careful.

I hope this input helps and thanks for being our customer!

--William

Highlighted
Wizard

William is right! You get what you pay for.

If you are lucky, you will not get any problem!

Highlighted
Wizard

I've gone with both, and Sprint branded chargers are worth the extra cost over "no name" chargers. HOWEVER, you can also find used HTC chargers on eBay for $5-10.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS the "change the tip" chargers like the iGo. They don't properly regulate the voltage going into the phone and can cause severe electrical damage including shorting out the battery or overcharging it and causing it to heat up or bloat.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat